Lampers And Coursing Men

LADS NO BITCHING ALLOWED..

Lads what makes a great lamping or coursing dog. Obviously we train our dogs from pups

we feed them right,, we get them fit,, and give them the best start in life we can.

But some turn out that little bit extra special as we all know.

Its a bit like racehorses you can put the best to the best,, but THEY DONT ALL MAKE IT,,,,, is it just in the GENES

or is there more to IT. Whats your views lads ? CHEERS SWG DAVE. :angel:

I think if they have speed wind the one thing that makes a good dog is one that can use its brain when out working the one that can judge where it quarry is going to go next an get there first to make the kill that's my opinion

• Like 2

a good combination of breeding is a great start. but the man behind the dog plays a major part in getting the dog where it needs to be, both physically and mentally.

there are men out there who just always seem to have a good dogs. they must just have good stockmanship in being able to pick the right puppy to start with or its just luck, which i very much doubt.

• Like 9

practice practice practice more work you can put in front of them the better.plus the norm breeding ect

true Dave , getting them out there with plenty to run at. for me and always as been a dog who gives 100% one that give its best all the while, you will work with a dog like that, but one that don't really try ,you wont long term .!

• Like 1

One what cleans it's own shit up atb AT

I've got the next best thing. None of mine will shit in the kennel or garden. They wait until there walk. Lol. No idea how or why. But it's great.

thought that was normal lol just get regular walks thats the answer to that lol
  • Like 2

One what cleans it's own shit up atb AT

I've got the next best thing. None of mine will shit in the kennel or garden. They wait until there walk. Lol. No idea how or why. But it's great.
thought that was normal lol just get regular walks thats the answer to that lol

Half the dogs on here lucky to see a walk every third day though I reckon ?

• Like 2

a good combination of breeding is a great start. but the man behind the dog plays a major part in getting the dog where it needs to be, both physically and mentally.

there are men out there who just always seem to have a good dogs. they must just have good stockmanship in being able to pick the right puppy to start with or its just luck, which i very much doubt.

Best answer for a while,the man behind the dog is what makes the dog,some men have it some don't some just pretend lol great answer that mate atb AT

thanks mate

Lads what makes a great lamping or coursing dog. Obviously we train our dogs from pups

we feed them right,, we get them fit,, and give them the best start in life we can.

Its a bit like racehorses you can put the best to the best,, but THEY DONT ALL MAKE IT,,,,, is it just in the GENES

Its relatively easy to train a dog to the lamp and it does not take much of a lurcher to make more than a useful lamping companion.Any dog can course an hare and catch the odd-un,the dogs that can catch on a regular basis,in winter,from an honest slip,are far less common than decent lamping dogs.IMO.

• Like 2

Its relatively easy to train a dog to the lamp and it does not take much of a lurcher to make more than a useful lamping companion.Any dog can course an hare and catch the odd-un,the dogs that can catch on a regular basis,in winter,from an honest slip,are far less common than decent lamping dogs.IMO.

a decent slip is a thing of the past for most

It wasn't until I picked up my coursing pup that I realised how important the breeding and make up of each animal is... He had the ingredients in him from 9 weeks old... He was always going to be fast, agile, have bags of stamina and have instinct to run cunning..The prey drive deeply engrained in him also wasn't put there by me or anyone else...

Owning a dog from non working stock and a dog from generations of top class daytime dogs, it's clear to me that the breeding is paramount to the success of each mutt.. Like Morton said I think most lurchers will lamp to a good enough standard but when asking that bit extra, it has to be bred into them..

I think it would almost be cruel to slip my deerhound lurcher on a winter hare, he would get dragged about a bit and I would be worried about him pulling up and really disheartening him.. Whereas my other mutt could run 3/4 gooduns no problem..he was bred for it...

Just my opinion from my own observations!

• Like 4

like your young dog mate he has what it takes to be a real gooden. hopefully see him again this winter . I got a hand full of runs with the pup right at the end tight land hard ground loads of cover she stopped 3 so cant wait. if I could put a pic on I show you what she's turned into lol .atb two crows.

• Like 2