Just Had The Call - Now What Cabinet To Get?

Well, i'm a happy bunny, just had a call this morning from my FEO to tell me that my certificate has been granted and that he just needs to see and check a cabinet installed now...

I've also been contacted by my local rifle club (only been on the waiting list for 18 months... lol) and should be starting probationary there within a few weeks, things are finally falling in to place.

Really impressed by Hertfordshire's service and cant fault them at all, Application to 'grant' has taken a couple of days over a months (or would have had security been in place already)

So i guess i now need to order up a cabinet but i'm not sure what to get... it's going to be going in the loft so it has to be happy lying on its back and also while i know it's going to be heavy, it needs to be able to go through a loft hatch mostly by my own power, i'm not little but i've got to be sensible about it and if the bug really bites i'd probably have to go for multiple cabinets as opposed to one big one due to location tongueff.gif.pagespeed.ce.yu4zvYygKO.gif

Did you ask the FEO if he was ok with having the cabinet in the loft? A lot don't like it as the aggro involved with climbing in the loft to put your guns away means you're more likely not to bother.

As for make of cabinet, all the ones made to BS7558 spec will pass police inspection no problem. My personal choice is Brattonsound but you might prefer another make.

Don't you have either a gable end or if semi detached a dividing wall? Be more secure on the wall, less likely to get tripped over and be easier to put your guns away into without dropping them.

I like the Brattonsound cabinets

If I were you I would probably opt for 2 smaller ones.....one for the rifles and the other for the shotguns

I've got the RL7 supposed to be for 7 scoped rifles but 4 is a comfortable fit

Thanks everyone for the advice and tips...

So i've been thinking that maybe a 3/4 gun cab to be fitted for now, and then 'if' i go FAC (which won't be for a while) i'll add another in place next to it with a built in or separate ammo safe...

I will get a couple of VP90 packs to go in the safe just incase condensation becomes an issue, not sure if that will make enough of a difference, there is power in the loft so a heat mat or something similar isn't out of the realms of possibility if condensation does become an issue...

Has anyone ever seen/used a GDK cabinet as sold on eBay, they are very cheap but are made locally to me so could easily go and pick one up or is it better to stick to a tried and trusted brand (Brattonsound etc)

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item43aae9c24f

I would go for the biggest cabinet you can afford or have room for , then i wouldnt put it in the loft purely as its a pain putting the gun back after youve been out lamping with out waking the household up

• Like 1

A gun cabinet will last a lifetime and if your thinking of FAC in the future, do yourself a favour and by a big one now, then you won't have to mess about again buying another one and fitting it...

Also I couldn't think of a worse place to have a cabinet... Red hot in the summer freezing cold in the winter. Damp problems, and crap access. Last thing I want to be doing 4am after a long nights shooting is clambering up a ladder through a loft hatch with potentially a few quids worth of gun...

It's not the type of the house that is the problem, it is owned by a family member who is anti and after much sitting down and negotiating it was the loft or nothing... I have no choice but to respect their wishes or it is literally a case of moving house ;)

Mine is a 7 gun Brattansound. 4 rifles and two shotguns with room to spare. Ammo box obviously seperate. Thing is when choosing a box, they are all approved with double locks etc.etc.etc. If you can buy a less expensive one then why not? By the way there are loads available on the usual sites. Strange as well is that there is still no legislation for the need for a cabinet. (not firearms).

I like the Brattonsound cabinets

If I were you I would probably opt for 2 smaller ones.....one for the rifles and the other for the shotguns

I've got the RL7 supposed to be for 7 scoped rifles but 4 is a comfortable fit

I've just been looking at buying one of those (due to the feo deciding my current set up isn't good enough after 20 years !!! ) how tight a fit is it? At the moment I've got 2 shotguns, an hmr, .22lr, an airgun and I'm looking in to a foxing/deer rifle. The local ag dealer reckoned I'd be fine with the rl7 but you're giving me reservation's about it now :)