The Working Ferrets Future.

Guest vin

Then what about there being a charge to be a member off wfa for working stock? This could keep the scummy theiving c**t's away.

And what ever money is raised ether give it to a charity or to help with the upkeep of the best workeing ferrets/kits in the Briton? Just a thought

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Never subscribed to the notion that 'All ferrets will work, if given the chance'.. .

Most ferrets if worked from a very young age will work to a lesser or greater degree,however i feel if you constantly breed from a bad line of ferrets ,ie slow lazy workers,bad biters,skulkers and fer

Good luck running wfa vin,,,,,lol

From what I can assume so far in my quests with ferrets...Its the Lack of good Jills we are all suffering from.

Vin (or should I call you,..... Mr President).. :thumbs:

I do believe, there are still plenty of good, strong, honest bitch ferrets available...

Bit late for this year,..but lets see how things pan out, after this season's work,...then,..perhaps a wee bit of judicious matchmaking might be on the cards...

I am sure that those of us who realy want to, can still,.. get back to basics... :yes:

Edited by Phil Lloyd
  • Like 3

The ferrets future must be linked to rabbit numbers surely. It's all supply and demand and if there ain't any bunnys then there'll be alot less ferrets. When i was young there was half a dozen or more lads with ferrets on the estate. You know how many there are now? None! I don't even have them as there's not enough rabbits here any more. With rabbit numbers contracting more and more each year I honestly think that within a decade or two there wont be too many true working ferrets about, simply due to the fact that there isn't enough rabbits. It's a shame as I do love ferreting and i remember the days when we'd trudge down the Dales back to the car with as many rabbits as we could carry, then walk back up the hill again for those that we couldn't manage. We thought those rabbits were never going to die out, like the magic pot of porridge. We were wrong. So if you've got enough rabbits to hunt, then cherish them...

• Like 3

No shortage of rabbits here , in fact its the opposite, i wouldnt have contemplated another dog, and a couple of ferrets if there was a shortage, perhaps there is only myself that works his dog in these parts, but then again, i will tread where most folks wouldnt, got in about 7 30 pm this evening, fields, hedgerows, golf course absolutely crawling we em, not one fer wishing my life away. i live every day as my last, but roll on september, ive already put the hob to work, stonker he is, 1st time i slipped him, a bit reluctant to enter at first, but i new summat was home, dog told me so, he eventually entered under no duress from me, 1 bunny in the dogs gob, ive yet to try the jill, plenty time yet :thumbs:

The ferrets future must be linked to rabbit numbers surely. It's all supply and demand and if there ain't any bunnys then there'll be alot less ferrets. When i was young there was half a dozen or more lads with ferrets on the estate. You know how many there are now? None! I don't even have them as there's not enough rabbits here any more. With rabbit numbers contracting more and more each year I honestly think that within a decade or two there wont be too many true working ferrets about, simply due to the fact that there isn't enough rabbits. It's a shame as I do love ferreting and i remember the days when we'd trudge down the Dales back to the car with as many rabbits as we could carry, then walk back up the hill again for those that we couldn't manage. We thought those rabbits were never going to die out, like the magic pot of porridge. We were wrong. So if you've got enough rabbits to hunt, then cherish them...

i dont think hits lack of bunnys were you live.. most young hunters have car,s more so now than ever, when i was a teenager add a honda 90,, or a fizz ,50 cc. :laugh: , lol and would travel any were,,,, there,s still plenty of rabbits out there iff your willing to put the miles in north . east or south fack the west [wales] wrll there.s wrexham,, area,, :whistling::whistling: ,, lol hits allways bin shit ,lol

i think it comes down to how keen the hunter his,, :victory: , to get the ferret or dog to the full potencial ,, :toast: , my best ferret at the the moment come off a lad who done jack shit with hit at 2 years old,,,,, :laugh::laugh:

Edited by tjones3862
  • Like 1

A ferret can be keen as mustard but the owner must have the same intention.

If your not biting at the bit to get out and show it work. Why should it perform?

I've seen so many "good" ferrets go to waste. And Lads playing the big "I am"

Hardest part of setting up your club Vin is going to be vetting the members.

Vin, if you could/would start a club like that i honestly think you could make a difference to working lines.

Where once the ferreter was a solitary chap and his workers, only bred for the job, stood a better chance of best to best linings, the boom in all things hunting saturated the country with none working pugs. Lines died out in a mass of 'any ferret will work' mentality, when the truth was/is 'hardly any ferret does work'!!

It could be turned on its head though, with a group of folks nationwide. Who, with a little effort, could guarantee best to best and change the fortunes of the working ferret. How could you prove all are what they are portrayed as..? Simples, by dint of film and/or photography. Each and every one of you can show your ferrets worth and work first hand...

Best of luck Vin. ;)

Bosun11 Has some good points there vin, but with film/photos You don't get to see the ferret for what it is or can do.

The other option would be if you think your ferret is the business. Then surly taking your ferret to the CEO of the club ant let him work it for a week or two to see if it's what they say/think it is.

Good luck vin?

• Like 2

Im

Vin, if you could/would start a club like that i honestly think you could make a difference to working lines.
Where once the ferreter was a solitary chap and his workers, only bred for the job, stood a better chance of best to best linings, the boom in all things hunting saturated the country with none working pugs. Lines died out in a mass of 'any ferret will work' mentality, when the truth was/is 'hardly any ferret does work'!!

It could be turned on its head though, with a group of folks nationwide. Who, with a little effort, could guarantee best to best and change the fortunes of the working ferret. How could you prove all are what they are portrayed as..? Simples, by dint of film and/or photography. Each and every one of you can show your ferrets worth and work first hand...

Best of luck Vin. ;)

Bosun11 Has some good points there vin, but with film/photos You don't get to see the ferret for what it is or can do.
The other option would be if you think your ferret is the business. Then surly taking your ferret to the CEO of the club ant let him work it for a week or two to see if it's what they say/think it is.
Good luck vin

some very good points there chaps.

Video is a good way of showing the ferrets in action maybe at the end of a dig etc etc..But as already said it would take a fair bit of scrutiny in my book before I would call it a good worker..

But that could be the very start of a Line etc etc with maybe some sort of pedigree paper with Dates and Pictures of Dam and Sire and all relevant info to pass down the lines.. Obviously keep the lines tight to start with and then as time progresses outcross other tried and tested blood into the gene pool.

PS.. I vote Phil for President and Jim for chief tester. :thumbs:

vin you thought of the idea so it only right that you become the president of wfa, plus the idea of a fee for membership is a good one it could go towards the up keep of ferrets.

If you dont want to be president Vin how simon whitehead for the job he done a lot for ferret welfare it only a idea.

vin you thought of the idea so it only right that you become the president of wfa, plus the idea of a fee for membership is a good one it could go towards the up keep of ferrets.

If you dont want to be president Vin how simon whitehead for the job he done a lot for ferret welfare it only a idea.

Now now I think it only fair that vin be president , and during the season all stock should be seen in action, in different areas monitored by regional reps . Lol , vive el presidente , oh vin you now have to grow a handlebar mustache walk everywhere with an antler topped stick . And say I after every sentence ,

• Like 1