Lost Skills?

The more I learn the more I realise I didn't know !

I like that saying because I learn everytime I go out or try to .

I've seen men that've dug for years and still not learn from their mistakes because they're stuck in their mindset that they know best .

My best advice is be open and honest with yourself other terrier men and your dogs. I don't think you'll learn much old time wisdom skills from me mate lol im a simple man that's dog of let him settle dig dog out simple as that . Hope this helps

• Like 9

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The best terrier men will get the most from a situation with or without the finder .The old Deben was far from failsafe and sometimes got damp leaving a dog to be found the old way .Electric fences se

The more I learn the more I realise I didn't know ! I like that saying because I learn everytime I go out or try to . I've seen men that've dug for years and still not learn from their mistakes be

Personally I think it has improved terrier work in lots of ways, dogs are being used in places that you wouldn't even consider without a locator, the standard of terrier work is far superior today wit

As already stated terrier work is very basic really once you have an entered reliable dog, put him in let him settle dig him out, it really is that simple!

I think we're missing the bigger picture here and the art probably lies more in the stockmanship rather than the actual act itself, selective breeding, rearing and running on young dogs, that's the hard part in my opinion!

I stand by what I said in my earlier posts, I don't think the terriers or the terriermen of years gone by we're any better or worse than those of today, there were just as many idiots involved then if not more as legislation weeded out a lot of wannabes and less serious dogmen!

Dogs were a fashion statement then just as they are now, you only have to read books of the so called legends to see that,

Take harcombe as an example, in his early books he raves about how his parks x's were the best thing he'd ever bred, then later in his recent books (since they fell out!) they were the ruination of his line!

Now I'm not slating the man at all, I'm using it as an example of what people are into at the time and how your opinions can change.

So who do you listen too? This is a bitchy back stabbing game and you can rest assured that no matter what dog or line or technique you are using there will be someone who disagrees or has bad to say about it.

All these people on here saying its a shame we don't have to crawl around trying to trace a sound or bump in the piss wet through ground and hedgerows, your welcome to it!

Move with the times, I still use hearing and a bar to find a tube when close, if there's a better way why wouldn't you use it?

• Like 5

its knowledge...not SKILL finds the terrier... where to bar where to listen too.... what too listen for... and the art of blocking out the wind the rain the wet under your jeans you shouldn't have wore out... the banter going on beside you work the next day and many other things...... its tuning in to doing a job professionally and humanely....to be honest the terrier and quarry really don't mind whats going on above... there quite happy sizing each other up... after all its only natural they encounter the same thing daily with territory food breeding and so on...just humans love to tell folk they have it sussed when they don't! get out there answer your own questions... that's terrierwork!

That's a load of rubbish.

Why do you think a terrier is most under pressure at the end of a dig ?

Anyone with a bit of skill would know the reason.

Neil you give this man a hard time all the time

If I see a post that I think is a load of rubbish I'll say so, that's my privilege

If he post's a lot of shite that's his

But, that statement that Stop End made is something that I've heard many lads say and it always pisses me off, not just because Stop End said it.

A lot of lads do not realise the pressure that's on a terrier coming near the end of a dig and when they break through they see their terrier but haven't the brains to see that the quarry has just got by it then they blame the terrier when often it is their fault.

I've even seen one clown answer his mobile phone just as he was about to break through.

To a terrier man when you are reaching a terrier at that moment in time that dig is the most important thing in the world to you.

So to say that the terrier and the quarry don't care about any noise above them is a load of rubbish IMO.

any working terrier worth anything..... with some digs over them WILL also knows when your 3ft or a 1 foot off him... and this is where standards are set between the good from the bad...you say the quarry knows your coming in on top the last few feet...I agree and so does the terrier in there doing the job! do you think the terriers stupid! and the good terriers step up the work rate in the last few feet and DONT let quarry past...I don't know what kind of terriers you use because you always make terrier work sound so hard for yourself... when I break through the quarrys always were its supposed to be nose to nose with the terrier with the quarry straight in front.... widen them holes for yourself when you break through and you might just get to see whats going on

as legislation weeded out a lot of wannabes and less serious dogmen!

I'm not sure if the opposite isn't true? If some aren't involved ,for a time, nowadays because they wan be gangsta?

I'd also have to say I've been mostly impressed with the older hunting guys I've met out hunting. Old men that are still in the game, still breeding, still hunting, still producing dogs. I've rarely felt time was wasted listening about dogs further back in a line or to lifetimes spent hunting with dogs and all the time admiring the quarry.

I feel very sorry for anyone who has come into dogs and not met anyone who's helped them on their way and shared their experiences, successes and failures.

• Like 5

Are the old skills your on about dropping another dog in when you can't hear the first one,or is it the use of TNT without blowing your dog up or maybe trenching on and totaly fcuking up a earth or sett when the dogs gone mute? :whistling: ..not everything old school was good and a middle ground in technique is what is needed in this day and age imo..

Not at all what i was saying if you read it properly. I would rather have the skill than not if all else fails i think if it helps at all to get my little buddy out . Then its a blessing . As for letting a second terrier in how did you no that you must be God . Get of your stool ffs. The proper old skill is helpfull you clearly have not been tought tut tut tut. Edited by tillearthdouspart

was over home with a couple of mates a few years ago and went to have a dig with a old farmer who kept a few dogs put dog into a big banking and could hear him start to bay after a while one of the boys got out his old grey knocker box and started walking up and down the bank with this box buzzing and bleeping away next thing we here is the old farmer shout out switch of that fxxknig wireless the dogs over here he was spot on another thing he told us that day which has stuck in my head since was he told one of my mates he had forgotten more than he will ever know about dogs lol

• Like 4

I have dug dogs at 10ft plus that you could hear plain as day from an entrance without trying, I've dug dogs at 2/3 ft and not been able to hear a peep until almost breaking in, I've also dug dogs in a single entrance earth that has been an unbelievable distance and depth from the entrance, also rangy shallow places where you can hear the dog all over the place! You will have all had these or similar experiences and my point is that sometimes I don't care if you got the senses of a bat or what your name is you ain't gonna find a dog without the locator leaving the skills outlined useless!

A lot of places I work the dogs are not huge but I would be very impressed to see these old timers find a dog in them and can assure you that I wouldn't dream of entering a dog without a collar!

We've all had places you can find without a locator and more than once we've had a dog in and my mate has said he's here under me, it's not really a great skill just how some earths are, and regards the old saying so often ranted usually after a couple to many shandys, I've forgot more than you'll ever know! Bullshit!!

That is the beer tent bragger, usually more interested in getting to the pub afterwards to tell everyone he knows more and dug more than anyone in the country!

I am often shocked and surprised whilst out and learn something new with frightening regularity , there are many good young terriermen and there have obviously been great dogmen of the past but there was just as many jokers.

Let's not forget that back then there was a huge market for terriers that the modern terrierman doesn't have, so litters were bred to meet a demand and when that demand became too great the lies started, buying in litters and putting big names behind them when they have none of the bloodlines that the unsuspecting buyer is after!

This happened all the time and my point being the modern terrierman has no market to fill (not us mere mortals anyway) so they breed for themselves and friends, in which case only the best is good enough so who do you think had better dogs?

Holy shit I'm ranting now and getting on my own nerves!

The skills are still used by lads who dig often they just ain't required as much!

And yes there were great terriermen from the past but like I've said before don't look through rose tinted glasses there were just as many dog dealers and liars as there are today!

Sorry lads, going to get a cider and wind my neck in! Atb Thrush.

• Like 5

Are the old skills your on about dropping another dog in when you can't hear the first one,or is it the use of TNT without blowing your dog up or maybe trenching on and totaly fcuking up a earth or sett when the dogs gone mute? :whistling: ..not everything old school was good and a middle ground in technique is what is needed in this day and age imo..

Not at all what i was saying if you read it properly. I would rather have the skill than not if all else fails i think if it helps at all to get my little buddy out . Then its a blessing . As for letting a second terrier in how did you no that you must be God . Get of your stool ffs. The proper old skill is helpfull you clearly have not been tought tut tut tut.

One thing your right about is i haven't been taught by anyone ,i've learnt what i know by being out :thumbs: and never have claimed to be anything other than a hobbyist in anything i do :D ,but how do you know i know nothing of finding a dog without a locator on it and i along with many many others have read and heard about the stories of old(and sone not so old) about famous rescues of doubled up dogs so no not god mate but your close :laugh::laugh:

And i wasn't answering you directly but to the thread by the way :victory:

• Like 1

I have dug dogs at 10ft plus that you could hear plain as day from an entrance without trying, I've dug dogs at 2/3 ft and not been able to hear a peep until almost breaking in, I've also dug dogs in a single entrance earth that has been an unbelievable distance and depth from the entrance, also rangy shallow places where you can hear the dog all over the place! You will have all had these or similar experiences and my point is that sometimes I don't care if you got the senses of a bat or what your name is you ain't gonna find a dog without the locator leaving the skills outlined useless!

A lot of places I work the dogs are not huge but I would be very impressed to see these old timers find a dog in them and can assure you that I wouldn't dream of entering a dog without a collar!

We've all had places you can find without a locator and more than once we've had a dog in and my mate has said he's here under me, it's not really a great skill just how some earths are, and regards the old saying so often ranted usually after a couple to many shandys, I've forgot more than you'll ever know! Bullshit!!

That is the beer tent bragger, usually more interested in getting to the pub afterwards to tell everyone he knows more and dug more than anyone in the country!

I am often shocked and surprised whilst out and learn something new with frightening regularity , there are many good young terriermen and there have obviously been great dogmen of the past but there was just as many jokers.

Let's not forget that back then there was a huge market for terriers that the modern terrierman doesn't have, so litters were bred to meet a demand and when that demand became too great the lies started, buying in litters and putting big names behind them when they have none of the bloodlines that the unsuspecting buyer is after!

This happened all the time and my point being the modern terrierman has no market to fill (not us mere mortals anyway) so they breed for themselves and friends, in which case only the best is good enough so who do you think had better dogs?

The skills are still used by lads who dig often they just ain't required as much!

And yes there were great terriermen from the past but like I've said before don't look through rose tinted glasses there were just as many dog dealers and liars as there are today!

good post. Exactly my view just I'm not very good with words!!!

Good post Thrush.

The only thing I'll say is that you must be lucky enough to only have good honest mates about you because the way some lads are churning out pups with false pedigrees over here there obviously a market out there.

Edited by neil cooney