Sentimental About A Tree

As a young lad finding my feet in the world I would often do some casual labour. One day a farmer asked me to plough a paddock for him needing the money I agreed. I met the farmer the next morning he handed over the tractor and said he would be back at the end of the day to pay me so I set about ploughing...The end of the day soon came round and good to his word the farmer turned up with the money he said you have done a great job but what about these two circles of grass you have left? I said I couldn't bring myself to plough them in they have great sentimental value to me...why asked the farmer? I said you see this patch here its where I first made love....Fair enough said the farmer but what about the second patch ...I said that's where her mother stood and watched us...her mother he said didn't she say anything to you? Yes I replied she was screaming at me ...bahh bahh bahh :laugh:

• Like 2

Oh, and if anyone could point me in the right direction of traditional saplings cheap as poss it would be appreciated?

You could always take cuttings from existing mature trees and grow them on mate. All it will cost you is a bit of time and a few pots. :) If I can wrestle the iPad off the kids later I'll find some links. Done it with a fig tree when I was 16, its still growing strong in my nans old garden to this day.

Get up there an snaff some of the timber to make a something from, when all the rest is rotted away you'll still have summat ;)

i still got me dads ash stick he made and we used when I was a little un to reach the best black berries...

Neither he nor the tree are here anymore, but i do grin like a fool every time I use it to black berrying!

think iam going too ring out all the initials and save them with some varnish

My little lad was eating an apple two years back, when he took a bite and ended with a seed/pip in his mouth. After explaining what it was, he couldn't wait to plant it. So we banged a bit soil in a empty pot noodle tub, splash of water, put it on kitchen window sill. Must be 18" high now!!

Now my old lurcher bitch ain't much longer for this world, and when she's gone, I already spied a nice little place for her and the apple tree,s going on top. Then that tree is going to be worth getting sentimental about to me!!!

• Like 7

Get up there an snaff some of the timber to make a something from, when all the rest is rotted away you'll still have summat ;)

i still got me dads ash stick he made and we used when I was a little un to reach the best black berries...

Neither he nor the tree are here anymore, but i do grin like a fool every time I use it to black berrying!

Yes, get permission and get a fella up there with some planking tackle. I had some nice yew planked that came from somewhere close to me. Have it in the bathrooms, will put some pics up :thumbs:

Here's some yew that i got planked :thumbs:

post-31417-0-24947600-1434017294.jpg

• Like 7

Yes plant more trees!

Don't see enough Lyme trees nowadays, Used to be one of our main trees before the Oaks, Chestnuts etc came here me thinks.

I used to plant a tree for every tree I cut down and always tried to talk customers out of total removal.

Bit partial to giving the odd tree a hug, especially the ones I know :icon_eek: .

Lyme trees, thats a new one to me, i'm not that well up on tree species but i plan on being better!

Oh, and if anyone could point me in the right direction of traditional saplings cheap as poss it would be appreciated?

I can send you some willow if you want some? just stick im in the ground, or a bucket of water and they will grow ;)

• Like 1

Yes plant more trees!

Don't see enough Lyme trees nowadays, Used to be one of our main trees before the Oaks, Chestnuts etc came here me thinks.

I used to plant a tree for every tree I cut down and always tried to talk customers out of total removal.

Bit partial to giving the odd tree a hug, especially the ones I know :icon_eek: .

Lyme trees, thats a new one to me, i'm not that well up on tree species but i plan on being better!

I can send you some willow if you want some? just stick im in the ground, or a bucket of water and they will grow ;)

Thank you Donna but that is the one tree that's everywhere round here. Funnily enough the first tree sapling i was given was/is a twisted willow, i put it in on a spot on the bank of the stream that runs in front of our house, thought it will look pretty smart when its mature and hanging over the water. Farmer Dave and Tommy, who works for him, were passing an stopped to see what i was doing. And so i told em i was planting a willow. The bemused look on both faces and Tommy asking 'what the feck i was doin that for, because there's feckin hundreds of em round here?' Oh, brother did i feel every inch a townie idiot right then and knew it wasn't worth explaining it was a twisted willow i was given...

Anyways, 5 years later its started to look well and even Dave said so. I dont think Tommys convinced mind but at least he dont butcher it when he's cutting the ditches!

:)

The place I live now was all fields and woodland when I was a laddie. I spent manys a long happy day mooching with dogs, nesting etc. there. My last house was almost to the spot where my first ever lurcher caught her first hare probably 25+ years ago. Makes me sad that it's all gone but what do you do. You can't halt progress.

• Like 2