im just lookin for tips or advice as im going to service a vw golf 1.4 2001 I have the kit an tools

I know most of you lads know your stuff so i taught id ask what to do first and so on

13m socket for sump plug, a spark plug socket with rubber grommet inside the socket, a strong pair of hands for unscrewing the oil filter or a filter strap, somthink to drain oil into, then parts, oil, oil filter and spark.plugs...

Should have read your post lol, warm engine, drain oil, take off oil filter, retighten sump plug, take off filter replace new filter not forgetting to smear some oil on filter rubber seal and pour some new oil.into oil filter, some do some dont, screw on oil filter hand tight, replace new oil, remove spark.plugs and fit new, dont over tighten spark plugs,one good nip will do, start engine and let oil run.round engine and that should be it i think , oh make sure your car jacked up safe.. Best of luck..

Edited by bracken boy
  • Like 1

Service check levels lights tyre pressures oil door hinges while engine warming up drop oil and let drain replace oil filter and air filter replace spark plugs and check leads are replaced into correct harness clips lube any cables throttle and bonnet plus catch etc refit sump plug refill to level with oil start motor to fill oil filter stop motor and let the oil level settle then recheck level and top up.you can check pollen filter if it hasn't been replaced within a couple of years or say 20000 mls.same with the inline fuel filter at the rear under vehicle next to the fuel tank.Get someone to rock your stearing wheel from side to side for you while you check for play in the track rod ends(ball joints).jack up car place on safe axle stands rock all wheel for excess play and spin them for noise turn your front wheel on full lock rotate the wheel and look for any leek from the rubber boots behind the hub these are to protect your drive shaft joints locate your gearbox level plug and remove it to check oil level should be shown at the plug hole or felt with fingure near the level edge. Remove wheels with the help of someone applying the brake check brake pads for the thickness of materiel left should be around 6mm minimum remove rear drums check for leeks in and thickness of shoes please not one shoe will be thicker than the other this is ok but none should be to close to the metal shoe a couple of mm .clean out drms with brake cleaner and replace .YOU will need a WORKSHOP MANUAL TO PERFORM THE TASKS OTHER THAN OIL/FILTER AND PLUGS SERVICE. THIS is only advice not instructions. ps buy a new sump plug and washer before you start the oil change.

• Like 1

Is it petrol or deisel ?

Don't forget air filter change and fuel filter,,,,,bothe just a few quid and easy to change in most motors,,,depending on the location under the bonnet,,,

On diesels,,you have to re prime the fuel once you've changed the fuel filter,,,this can be easy on cars,,with a prime pump,,just squeeze it 20 30 times,,,on cars that don't have one,,,like my b*****d vectra,,,,you have to bleed them,,,wich can be a c unt if you don't know what your doing

Sometimes the sump washer are the type that either need annealing or they are the crushed type that get to squashed and leek better to put a new one in than have to drain new oil out to replace it if it leeks.just what I would do you don't have to.

Hily, would you do that every oil change?? i will keep my eye on it. Thanks all the same..

you dont really need to change the plug. But ALWAYS change the washer. Once loose it wont seal the plug again as it crushes to seal around the plug.