Greyhound Bitch

Id rather use a coursing bred mutt than a greyhound even when wanting a half type mutt id prefer to use one eg , coursing bred x collie ...

• Like 1

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have a line bred pup the line has been going for 37 years don't think any pure has been added and there's plenty of speed in them just beddy grey x beddy grey

When we are making statements that a 'pure' needs to be added or we will lose speed, it is worth remembering that the coursing dogs of today have had no pure influence on many of their lines since the

im only making a comment on basic greyhounds my friend .ive trained greyhounds for syndicates etc in the past and kept and worked lurchers for nearly fifty years .ive been known to breed a few decent

Posted Images

What does a greyhound offer that a well bred 5th Gen coursing dog doesn't ?

I have 5th Gen bull x crossed with a well bred coursing line which ticks all the boxes for me on everything (legal of course )

• Like 1

Lets not kid ourselves, sure you can bring a greyhound up to be a decent enough catcher of quarry and maybe even some other things, especially if its digits hold up in the field but they have massive limitations and problems. I know this from expierience BUT why take that gamble when there are coursing blooded dogs, that are plenty fast enough, breed true to type, have a physical constitution that goes way way beyond their type and have hunted and killed best to best over here for near 50 years... To inject speed (never mind the other stuff!) into a lurcher, look no further...!

Galgos here are plenty fast and seem to have some stamina but I'm not sure how the whining snipey nosed spic fuuckers would hold up against a deer tbh.

Would I consider putting their blood into a line? Only if I was putting it across a dogo or pit for boar work. Something heavy that is gonna slow it down a bit and give it thick strong bones for the inevitable head on collisions with whatever the fec they can find to run into :laugh:

The feet on them here seem to be better than the track greys though ;)

For me , you could breed two first x over and over and get say 10 gen first x. Altho you get 50% of each breed a line can start to throw to one side and lose traits one wants. An infusion of blood can revive a line or help concrete certain traits in and put it back what you want. This is where adding pure to a line should be used. I like greys lucky to see a few very good ones. Prob is the percentage of greys that is actually worked is probly the least in all the breeds. This where the probs arise

When we are making statements that a 'pure' needs to be added or we will lose speed, it is worth remembering that the coursing dogs of today have had no pure influence on many of their lines since the 1970's. And for those who think that the saluki hybrids of today is just sighthound bred, then think again. They nearly all have lurcher in there.

For example, look at Merlins sire, Toby the Hoover, his sire was a beddy/grey! Tony Bolts Rocket, the father of Dawn, was half cross collie! You've only got to look at The Seagull to see there ain't just sighthound in her! There's some lines that are exceptional lurchers that have just been bred best to best for not years, but DECADES!

Let's look at the FACTS, and the facts are that as long as the correct well bred, well tested dog is put over the correct well bred, well tested bitch then that gives the best chance of producing the best pups. In my opinion.

So IMO an addition of 'pure' is not needed. On the contrary.

I don't think it matters too much if the pups are for a bit of mooching, a spot of ferreting every other week and maybe a walk with the lamp six times a year, a nice relaxing life. But a keen hunting man, a man who tests his dogs on everything that he might bump into, might just find the half greyhound wanting.

Putting a greyhound, a breed untested and unworked for many decades, over a good working lurcher is like adding a glass of water to a glass of beer....and totally unneccessary.

But that's just my opinion..... :victory:

post-16-0-22566800-1430999217_thumb.jpg

Edited by J Darcy
  • Like 10

J darcy when you say half grey found wanting for the keen hunter do you mean a dog with a direct sire or dam as a grey or all dogs with about 50% grey in make up. If the later that very bold statement. I hunt 4-5 times a week if not more and when we out we are out none this back in three hour crap. One my bitches works out about 50% grey and she aint no relaxed life type. Just like i know other many other dedicated lads with dog performing well with 50% in the make up. Altho i do agree coursing bred stuff bred for generations has more to offer then a grey but to say only good for the one day a week brigade abit strong lol

J darcy when you say half grey found wanting for the keen hunter do you mean a dog with a direct sire or dam as a grey or all dogs with about 50% grey in make up. If the later that very bold statement. I hunt 4-5 times a week if not more and when we out we are out none this back in three hour crap. One my bitches works out about 50% grey and she aint no relaxed life type. Just like i know other many other dedicated lads with dog performing well with 50% in the make up. Altho i do agree coursing bred stuff bred for generations has more to offer then a grey but to say only good for the one day a week brigade abit strong lol

All I meant is that pups bred from a pure MIGHT be found wanting. :victory:

The way I see it, why have a pup that is only 50% tested blood in it's background, when you can have a pup that has 100% tested background. Just my take on it. We all have our own ideas....

Edited by J Darcy

The way I see it, why have a pup that is only 50% tested blood in it's background, when you can have a pup that has 100% tested background. Just my take on it. We all have our own ideas....

Completly agree mate about the 50% tested blood. Breed best to best hope to get the best with luck on your side

Best of both worlds, to get 100% working blood in a genuine first cross use a well tested greyhound! Out of curiosity jonathan and i dont know the answer but do you think or maybe know if the offspring off a fenn type saluki hybred to a lurcher would be as quick as those pups off a well worked and competed greyhound over the same lurcher?? Genuine question. I know there will be exceptions but as a general average.

Best of both worlds, to get 100% working blood in a genuine first cross use a well tested greyhound! Out of curiosity jonathan and i dont know the answer but do you think or maybe know if the offspring off a fenn type saluki hybred to a lurcher would be as quick as those pups off a well worked and competed greyhound over the same lurcher?? Genuine question. I know there will be exceptions but as a general averag

prob not for first couple of runs if they threw to G/hound (depending on length of runs also )but after yes ,

• Like 1

Best of both worlds, to get 100% working blood in a genuine first cross use a well tested greyhound! Out of curiosity jonathan and i dont know the answer but do you think or maybe know if the offspring off a fenn type saluki hybred to a lurcher would be as quick as those pups off a well worked and competed greyhound over the same lurcher?? Genuine question. I know there will be exceptions but as a general average.
i dont, but they be fast enough.
  • Like 3

i dont, but they be fast enough.
i would of thought the same. Alot of lurchers that are used with hounds are held untill a run comes its way, so within reason i dont think stamina would be questioned over one or two slips during the day, but if you are covering a short break then the speed will definatly be questioned so they have there uses!!