Sounds weird but I've been wanting to do this since my early teens when I first read John & Sally Seymores guide to Self Sufficiency... Less paperwork back then no doubt but after receiving my CPH number and filling out the ARAMS forms etc I had my first sheep. Happily munching one minute, .22 in the noggin and on the trestle to drip dry the next. Might get some hand shears for the next one to trim the mucky wool around the cutting areas as keeping it off the meat was harder than I expected.

Might have a crack at a haggis in the week with the offal, I'll give him a week in the chiller and cut and vac-pac him next weekend

lamb1_zpsqrne6keu.jpeg

lamb2_zpsntzqhcy1.jpeg

lamb3_zpsaq4ss01q.jpeg

lamb5_zpswmndxfjm.jpeg

lamb4_zpsvrfq242k.jpeg

lamb6_zpsej60rmxp.jpeg

Edited by Yokel Matt
  • Like 14

Good job there Matt , are you allowed to hang that in the chiller with the deer still in the skin ? The guy who I used to sell carcasses to always wanted them skin off , he told me it wasn't allowed , just wondering if he was getting me at it ?

• Like 1

Nice one, but if it was me I'd have had some of that liver on the pan before the body had stopped twitching.

I can taste it now.

Was she a hogget ?

I reckon mate, not the spring lamb I had in my minds eye.

Done a good job there mate, i remember first time i skinned a deer took me ages lol

It fisted off quite easily with a wet hand while still warm. Keeping the mucky wool in off the meat was a pain and made it take longer. I'm a bit more rough and ready with deer although its more of a hassle when they're changing coat as they are at the moment. End up brushing up most of it.

Good job there Matt , are you allowed to hang that in the chiller with the deer still in the skin ? The guy who I used to sell carcasses to always wanted them skin off , he told me it wasn't allowed , just wondering if he was getting me at it ?

You're dead right mate. Both should be skinned ideally but my young son was having a nap in the house at the time and I was on the clock. They're both for my own deep freeze so we're all good.

Another reason I had to rush was that my wife was becoming attached to it and wanted me to take it back to the farm... Thought I'd remove that option when she was out shopping.

• Like 3

Ok , he was a butcher so understand where he's coming from . Everything I sell now goes jacket on .skinned a few sheep they are better clipped of a bit before skinning , and doing them warm is a whole lot easier than doing deer that have been hanging for ten days in the cold room .

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Ok , he was a butcher so understand where he's coming from . Everything I sell now goes jacket on .skinned a few sheep they are better clipped of a bit before skinning , and doing them warm is a whole lot easier than doing deer that have been hanging for ten days in the cold room .

You ain't wrong there! Lol.

We done off a five year old petting ewe that started prolapsing on a holiday park, it was blooming handsome. I was supposed to dispatch it and bury it, lot likely.

Now we have two mahoosive buggers here that the Mrs named, I'll end up burying these pair.

not telling you what to do trapper, but as the wheather is warmer get it cut up as a sheep only needs over night to set you don't have to hang it long as the sinues are more softer and a lot smaller than a bullock if you know what I mean,

• 3 weeks later...

Sounds weird but I've been wanting to do this since my early teens when I first read John & Sally Seymores guide to Self Sufficiency... Less paperwork back then no doubt but after receiving my CPH number and filling out the ARAMS forms etc I had my first sheep. Happily munching one minute, .22 in the noggin and on the trestle to drip dry the next. Might get some hand shears for the next one to trim the mucky wool around the cutting areas as keeping it off the meat was harder than I expected.

Might have a crack at a haggis in the week with the offal, I'll give him a week in the chiller and cut and vac-pac him next weekend

lamb1_zpsqrne6keu.jpeg

lamb2_zpsntzqhcy1.jpeg

lamb3_zpsaq4ss01q.jpeg

lamb5_zpswmndxfjm.jpeg

lamb4_zpsvrfq242k.jpeg

lamb6_zpsej60rmxp.jpeg

Good job there Matt,

Is that a cold room you made yourself and where'd you get your gambrelles from?

Cheers

Thats the life Matt good for you :thumbs: In the first picture you get the feeling its sixth sense is telling him its game over. You got a good little setup there

Edited by terryd

The gambrel is standard A point (roe size) from online somewhere, about a tenner each I think. The chiller is a minicella monobloc which I picked up second hand recently, it's 1m x1m square and ideal for my needs. The larders been a project which has dragged on for a while now but hopefully will be finished this year.... Said that before though..

You're right Terry - I reckon the lamb did know the curtain was about to fall but it was very laid back about the whole thing.

I never got to do haggis in the end as the skins arrived too late. I'll try with the pluck out my next neck shot deer with some smoked bacon lardons and juniper...

• 2 weeks later...