Whats The Best Photo You Ever Missed ?

as above i have seen some fantastic sights but never been able to get the pics , one was ,, i had a old nest box covered in clematis as i looked at it 5 mice poked their heads out at once to look at me ,another was a merlin hitting a wheatear 10ft off me as i was laid on the moor just before dusk ,,,too many to mention but none ever forgotten

• Like 1

Seen all sorts, never had a camera, never thought to take a pic, took a blurred pic or missed it by a mile lol One I almost had, bitch in my avatar jumping verically to nail a partridge, got a really clear shot of the sky and a couple of feathers.

Cheers, D.

I was out with the camera in the snow a few years back. I was actually driving along from one place to another when I saw a rabbit running across the middle of a huge field through the snow. You know when something just doesn't look right? Well, I knew something was amiss. Rabbits do not do that kind of thing. About 15 seconds had elapsed since the rabbit had gone out of sight when a stoat came into view, running the rabbits scent. Again, in the snow.

So i watched, got the camera out and mooched closer. Another minute later and th rabbit came back across the field, this time with the stoat only forty odd yards behind, but he tightened up to about ten yards by the time the end of the field was reached, then somehow the rabbit lost its head and the stoat made a catch. It was amazing, and, if i hadn't have seen it with my own eyes i wouldn't have believed it! Thankfully I had the camera with me...... :yes:

Over the years I've seen a hell of alot of things, but that sticks in my mind.

However, for the photo I've missed, I guess it has to be deer chasing a dog thats chasing a deer....

We had just dropped some rabbits off at the game dealer and were driving away along a rough track when I spotted a rat rolling a huge baking-sized potato in front of the van. By the time I'd found the camera and got my mate to open his window the thing was in the undergrowth. At one point the potato rolled into a pot-hole but the rat either by luck or judgement turned the spud lengthways so it could pivot on the edge of the hole rather than try to roll it up the side .

The one I really regret missing with the camera was a red stag in our local deer park. He had commandeered a wallow and was caked in mud. To add to his fearsome appearance he kept shovelling a dead branch at least eight feet long about until he managed to balance it on his antlers and then stood there posing. Unfortunately I had no camera with me:(

• Like 2

Most of my memorable occasions are firmly embedded in my mind, no cameras needed. But the one occasion I do wish I had a camera at hand was about 20 years ago. I was long lining for Bass with live Mackerel we has just set off a line and were drifting jigging for more mackerel for the next line.

The sea was flat calm and about 50 yards away we seen a small black object in the water making a bow wave on the surface, as it got closer we could see it was the head of a Leather back Turtle, and it was on a collision course with the dory. it just kept coming and about six feet from the dory it dived under the boat and surfaced about 10 yards away it only dived enough to clear the hull of the dory so was only about 2ft down in crystal clear water. I would estimate it was around 8ft long and maybe 4ft across. It is something I will never forget, I just wish that I had photos of it just so that other people could see the beauty of it.

TC

• Like 3

I seen a hoopoe in a sand quarry in Lancashire when I was about 14, and nobody believed me

Cheers, D.

as a youngster interested in birds (feathered ) the hoopoe was my dream , first time i went to africa i saw plenty ,it was great pity not on english soil lol

• Like 1

I'm a scaffolders and when clearing some scaffold tubes from a job on a farm I stood a 8 foot tube up a feild mouse appeared at the top and just sat there my phone was in the lorry so I couldn't get a picture he sat there until I played the tube back down so it could get off

Long before I had a camera: a lurcher of mine leaping into the air to catch a pheasant, then turning a somersault in mid air and coming down on her feet with the pheasant in her mouth. Another one: lurcher running across a field chasing a duck at head height and catching it: all she did was open her mouth as she got close enough: crazy sight. :laugh: And so many other times when I wished I had a camera to click at a precise moment.

Like everyone else, I've seen many things that would of made great pictures, but even if I'd had a camera I doubt I would of captured the moment.....

......but since moving over here I've a seen couple things, that if I'd had a camera I'm confident I could of got a great shot.......I got within a few metres of a fox sleeping on a spoil heap outside an earth, still sleeping I crouched down to watch it, it then lazily looked up in my direction before wandering off a minute or two later....

.....& on the same day an hour later I came across a sparrowhawk trying to feed on a great spotted woodpecker, it had it pinned on the forest floor, but unable to pull it clear from some fallen branches & debris, again I got within a few metres, watching from behind a large beech....

Seen loads of great stuff with stoats, but doubt I could of took a pic to do them justice....

Passing a stoat in my car that was carrying a young rabbit, I did manage two shots but they were blurred. When I fist got a camera I sat and filled 2 8gig cards of a pair of king fishers hunting minnows. They were oblivious to me and it was great to see how they would whack the minnows of a branch before swallowing them. Unfortunately all the pictures were crap. I have never gotten as close since.

• Like 1

Loads of things really from my kids being born,a cat chasing and catching a rabbit which was absolutely awesome to watch,a dog pulling a Red Stag single handed,a sparrowhawk taking a pigeon not two foot above my head which left me covered in feathers haha..like most of you who get out into the countryside there would just be to much to write here..even with a camera I never get the pics I want haha

• Like 2

the one that sticks in my mind was a few years ago a vixen carried a dead cub in to my street then dropped it at her feet then commenced nudging it around for a good while. then picked it up and walked away. she then came back sat at the same spot without it and let out half a dozen screeches. the whole scene was so odd i never even thought of the camera. :blink: a video would have made a better take of this odd behavour. left me with a lump in my throat :yes:

• Like 2