Australian Cattle Dog Cross And The New Whippet Pup

Wild Rover: what made you decide to add a whippet to the team?

I used to travel to Scotland and over Brough way for 25 years or more, lamping, ferreting and bushing, I stopped lamping about 7 years ago and the last couple of years ferreting were very wet, standing in two inches of water, soaked putting nets on etc, I started getting chest infections all the time and had pneumonia, Im in my early 60's and the ACD is 7 and I decide i was stopping travelling and serious work, so I didnt want another lurcher coz I wouldnt do it justice, hence the whippet, Im out local every morning bushing and ratching and wanted a little ratcher to knock about with, we do lure racing local, so a mate to ratch, race and show hopefully....semi retirement haha

• Like 7

i like the look of that acd/grey my sort of dog. i bet shes been a pleasure to work

Thanks mate, she is a Grew x ACD, not Greyhound she is only 21", she is a great loyal worker, tough as teak, hyper prey drive, needed lots of training as a young dog to boss her but it has paid off, I feel I could take her anywhere and she wouldnt let me down.

• Like 2

i like the look of that acd/grey my sort of dog. i bet shes been a pleasure to work

Thanks mate, she is a Grew x ACD, not Greyhound she is only 21", she is a great loyal worker, tough as teak, hyper prey drive, needed lots of training as a young dog to boss her but it has paid off, I feel I could take her anywhere and she wouldnt let me down.

my mistake mate i miss read your post. she looks inteligent sort in the pic :thumbs:

• Like 1

Wild Rover: what made you decide to add a whippet to the team?

I used to travel to Scotland and over Brough way for 25 years or more, lamping, ferreting and bushing, I stopped lamping about 7 years ago and the last couple of years ferreting were very wet, standing in two inches of water, soaked putting nets on etc, I started getting chest infections all the time and had pneumonia, Im in my early 60's and the ACD is 7 and I decide i was stopping travelling and serious work, so I didnt want another lurcher coz I wouldnt do it justice, hence the whippet, Im out local every morning bushing and ratching and wanted a little ratcher to knock about with, we do lure racing local, so a mate to ratch, race and show hopefully....semi retirement haha

That makes a lot of sense. :thumbs:

I was always on the side of whippet lurchers over whippets as, when I started out, most of the types I liked the look of were all like that (Les White's, Stag Carter's to name but two). However, my brother has three pure whippets and is forever raving about how great they are. I remember reading once that whippet bitches are like cats and he says they seem to have the best attributes of dogs and cats rolled into one...if that makes sense. Good luck with them both. :D

• Like 1