Bull X Deerhound.

Anyone off here had a first cross and were they fast enough ?saw a pic years ago,and it looked very strong.

Fast enough for what? Short, sharp dashes after rabbits - I very much doubt it. Long runs with no cover in sight - possibly. The way I'd look at it is to ask if a straight deerhound would be fast enough. If the answer's yes then crossing to the bull might possibly still be, but I think it highly unlikely that the pups will be faster than the deerhound. It's not a cross that I'd want personally, but each to their own...

• Like 1

I've a bull wheaten deerhound x deerhound although he's not took much to the bull look really. He can be a clumsy big bugger though and just grew until he reached 32tts. But by god I wouldn't part with him for all the money in china! He was bred by a very lovely man in Kildare - would of loved to have found his litter mates to see how they turned out and if they're working, but after years of trying I gave up!

He likes to just "be wild" so to speak, but his nature - well I'll never see it in another dog I know that much.

post-42585-0-17193800-1428313174_thumb.jpg

Edited by MoChara

Anyone off here had a first cross and were they fast enough ?saw a pic years ago,and it looked very strong.

Fast enough for what? Short, sharp dashes after rabbits - I very much doubt it. Long runs with no cover in sight - possibly. The way I'd look at it is to ask if a straight deerhound would be fast enough. If the answer's yes then crossing to the bull might possibly still be, but I think it highly unlikely that the pups will be faster than the deerhound. It's not a cross that I'd want personally, but each to their own...

Rabbits lol

just people with experience of this cross reply please.

just people with experience of this cross reply please.

Bit touchy.

Try here:- http://www.thehuntinglife.com/forums/topic/271463-deerhound-x-bull/

I thought you would of been better off breeding a proven deerhound lurcher to a well bred bull or to a heavy half x to get that type of dog. Cannot seem the point of putting the modern deerhound into any hunting dog.