Hob Or Jill

What do you think make better workers

I prefer hobs, they seem a bit more determined to shift or kill rabbits to me, they can also take a kicking better than a jill, of course they don't pass through purse nets like jills but you cant have everything.

• Like 1

Jills, not so many digs as a jill is smaller and can climb over a rabbit to kill it or turn it to bolt, I have a mate who only uses Hobs, but he has sandy soil on his perms, like folk are saying, it's a personal choice.

• Like 1

I don't think it makes a difference to be honest mate. I have a hob and a Jill but find I take the Jill more than hob. But if there's rats to be killed say under a shed the hob gets first pick. Too big for rat holes though.

The few best ferrets I've personally seen work were hobs,though I've seen some Jill's really graft as well,maybe its a case of getting out what you put in? If you work a ferret hard and often it will be better than one that gets out half as much? I myself work hobs but either will get you rabbits...

You really want to get a couple ferrets are socable animals and shouldnt be stuck alone in a hutch . if you get a good working ferrets jills can kill just as fast as a hob once they learn the knack , i reckon theres no much in it work wise your better looking how your going to bring them out of season ect rather than what sex of ferret to get

• Like 1

A combination of hobs and jills for me dependant on the type of ground you are putting them into (i.e. hedgerows, open warrens etc.) where access to dig can sometimes be difficult. I do like the ability of jills to slip through the net meshes without disruption after spending a long time setting nets in blackthorn bushes, but if all else fails hobs are excellent for shifting the reluctant ones :victory:

• Like 1