Foxes !

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

its easy to blame the dog. most lurchers that quit are entered to early and entered badly. by either imature or ignorant owners . that tend to be over enthusiastic or frustrated. sure a large percenta

Dogs descended from wolves are used to killing for food and used to killing animals that are born prey animals whos biggest defence is to run. In other words its not natural to kill a fox to eat (exce

Good single handed fox dogs are realistically few and far between. Foxing is my game and we do a lot of it. Hunting converts at weekends and lamping. I've brought lads out from up and down the country

Posted Images

I know.a small holder that owns a German Shepherd that is a prolific fox killer this bitch can be trusted with everything so much as he let's her out and she just has a mooch on her own among sheep goats and farmyard fowl he recons she takes more fox a year than he shoots I recon he should put a greyhound over her but he wont

I know of a bull x, just like that.

• Like 1

Thats the type of fox that test your dogs

good fox that, what was it about 20lb ? I know they can look bigger than what they actually are , got 1 one night with my old colliex grey Blaze , though this bugger got to 21-22lb , got it back home weighed it in my garage and was just over 17lb , good coat+brush on it just like in your pic, this was in the mid 80s. some feral cats ive seen they had bit of size to them as well, like little tigers lol
I see you are a compulsive fox weigher as well as a compulsive dog weigher lol.
  • Like 8

Wat silly statement its true mate fact mate and if you say out different you not done much dog work

I'd say looking at trunks fox season topic that he does a fair bit of dog work.

Edited by sawyer
  • Like 4

i would say a good big dogfox can make it difficult and be a handfull, but for me the vixens with fire in there belly are more common than dogs with the same attitude. just going on what ive seen, and i dont do as many now but doubt its changed that much in the last ten years, as for lurchers with the mindset of a terrier. try the litter wastage from a first cross . with a bit of bulk and learn some fieldcraft.

• Like 4

i agree with cleanspade i remember a small but grumpy vixen giving a well known seasoned dog a rough ride in a tight spot the lad that owned him said it made harder work of that than heavy quarry he had been on grunter size isnt everything just ask my mrs :D

• Like 1

It's got bugger all to do with size. . . . .

Some animals don't like getting hurt/bit, it's just that simple. . . . . maybe they realise that the quarry isn't food. . . . and don't think its worth it.

Getting bit by a fox doesn't hurt a small dog any more than a big dog.. . . . .

In nature, for the most part, unnecessary injury is avoided. . . . .

In some dogs, we've bred that right out, other we haven't.

what im saying is people believe they got a out n out fox machine cause its taken loads of stubble foxes.testing a fox dog is when they winters here.stronger,adult,cleverer,and fiercer.and yes I do believe a winter dog fox will bite harder than a smaller vixen.took 56 last year night.24 daytime.

I think you missed my point buddy.

I was referring to the size of the dog, not the size of the fox.

I.E Just because a dog is big, don't make it hard. . . . . mentally or physically.

Just cos a dog looks tough, doesn't mean its up for a scrap.

However, a good big fox dog, will probably out perform an equally as good, small fox dog. . . . over the course of time, if enough foxes are there to go at. Mainly due to the effort / punishment needed / inflicted.

But having said that, with regard to foxes, you also can't always judge by the size of the beast. As said, some smaller foxes are like decking banshees and some of the bigger ones, are not much cop. . . . it's just like anything in life, they are all individuals.

And finally, the jaws of a small vixen, through a dogs foot, probably hurts more than the jaws of a big dog fox snapping at the head. . . . . . .

• Like 4

Some animals don't like getting hurt/bit, it's just that simple. . . . . maybe they realise that the quarry isn't food. . . . and don't think its worth it.

what im saying is people believe they got a out n out fox machine cause its taken loads of stubble foxes.testing a fox dog is when they winters here.stronger,adult,cleverer,and fiercer.and yes I do believe a winter dog fox will bite harder than a smaller vixen.took 56 last year night.24 daytime.

I.E Just because a dog is big, don't make it hard. . . . . mentally or physically.

However, a good big fox dog, will probably out perform an equally as good, small fox dog. . . . over the course of time, if enough foxes are there to go at. Mainly due to the effort / punishment needed / inflicted.

But having said that, with regard to foxes, you also can't always judge by the size of the beast. As said, some smaller foxes are like decking banshees and some of the bigger ones, are not much cop. . . . it's just like anything in life, they are all individuals.

And finally, the jaws of a small vixen, through a dogs foot, probably hurts more than the jaws of a big dog fox snapping at the head. . . . . . .

I'm out.you reckon some dogs don't try cause they realise a fox isn't food.and you know what hurts a dog or fox more depending on where bitten.how many fox do you take a year.

Thats the type of fox that test your dogs

good fox that, what was it about 20lb ? I know they can look bigger than what they actually are , got 1 one night with my old colliex grey Blaze , though this bugger got to 21-22lb , got it back home weighed it in my garage and was just over 17lb , good coat+brush on it just like in your pic, this was in the mid 80s. some feral cats ive seen they had bit of size to them as well, like little tigers lol
I see you are a compulsive fox weigher as well as a compulsive dog weigher lol.

not so much dogs now be back fooked carnt pick them up to weigh lol, but deff foxes if it looked as big as that one of trunks yeh get it on the scales :thumbs: lol

I'm out.you reckon some dogs don't try cause they realise a fox isn't food.and you know what hurts a dog or fox more depending on where bitten.how many fox do you take a year.

I'm not really sure why you are making this into an argument?

I wasn't disagreeing with you, I just thought you had mis understood my post, as I wasn't suggesting that a big fox would bite less hard than a smaller one. . . . . . .

But merely that you cannot judge a dogs heart, drive, or toughness, on it's size or look, which I think is a fair assertion?

And no, i'm not suggesting that I can read a dogs mind, but it's just a wild guess, that getting bitten in some places, hurts more than others.

With regard to the food argument, I was just musing that some dogs seem to have no interest at all in things which bite back, and yet show real grit in other areas, so again, not suggesting its a fact, or even a good theory, but who knows, it doesn't make a lot of sense, why some big dogs won't take a fox, when they don't appear to be wankers generally?

I'm sure that you take far more foxes than me a year, as it's illegal and I keep within the law. However, I still think I'm allowed to muse on these things.

But maybe i'd be better sticking to.

"Nice dog mate" .

:thumbs:

• Like 3

I lived in paramatta just outside sydney I was there for few months had a few nights out with some lads from near the blue mountains,a lot of traveling like running dogs of back of pick ups ( Uts ) and then the second time I was there I was up near cairns a lot of Roos in both places and town foxes, some place oz .

Only thing I wish I had done but never was wild boar and Roos .

Did some good fishing sea and river

Yeah I'm heading up to the snowy mountains tomorrow for a 6 day pig hunt. That bitch was bred for and originally used for pigs. She went alright

That is the answer. Its as simple as that.

• Like 1

I think as you said self preservation will have a lot to do with it! The older running dogs like the greyhound would have that a lot more than a terrier blooded dog! And then I think when you add the clever "live for tomorrow " collie ! Don't think your gonna get many foxing lurchers from this breeding then?

There used to be a guy on this site Clucky,havent see him on for a while,he had a hancock dog Tarn that used to take 70-100 fox a season over the 2 seasons I saw him work,he was exceptional.

And thats what it is.an exception.