16 Hens And No Frigging Eggs

everyones hens are on full belt n laying like crazy ??? as you can see my frustration

ive cleaned all the boxes out no mites as yet nest boxes a bit wobbly so screwed in tight ,no moult ,on layers now for 6 weeks as I got 4 eggs

so thought here we go but nothing ?????

ive checked nest boxes and not even going in them to have a rake about and thinking of nesting??

been over next door to see if laying else where and nothing also all 16 in run everytime I go down

not sign of rats or 2 footed thieves esp in nest box areas all untouched

I heard cider vinegar in water to give them a clean out and a clove of garlic in their water to get rid of red mite ????

ill just have to see any ideas ???

rhody x light sussex cross these birds and his is their 3 rd yr of laying if they do start

what else can I try please .....ideas anyone ????????????

thanks for your time

gibbo

ps no mites on them but all seem to have a head twitch ??????????????

what you feeding you dont mention that , :thumbs:

in post he mentions on layers 6weeks - Unsure if that's what's meant but that's what I took out of it lol

Mine also on layers pellets - just late bloomers :)

ps no mites on them but all seem to have a head twitch ??????????????

I'm no expert, I've only got three myself but I do release pheasants.If they've got a head twitch more than likely they may have parasitic worms, probably gapes. If I were you I would spend the £20 or whatever it is on the 1% Flubenvet solution to de worm them. I think the tip about the cider vinegar is to keep the gut acidic, which is a hostile environment for parasitic worms, so I would do that after the deworm to stop em coming back. Good luck :thumbs:

• Like 1

Get plenty of fresh greens into them: young grass, greens leaves, chickweed etc. Or is there something else that may be disturbing them? How are they acting. My layers always laid right through the winter and the moult. Free range, plenty of fresh food, as well as layers pellets.

• Like 1

To be fair the rhode/Sussex cross is a Great bird but, coming up for three years old I wouldn't expect any world beater out of them. They will start laying but when they do you not going to produce a great number of eggs. These pure breed crosses tend to put a bit of weight on as the get older, so you don't want to be over feeding as this won't help with there laying and no mixed corn either the corn makes them fat, just a light scatter of whole wheat. ?

• Like 1

Guess I'm lucky.21 birds and at the moment up to 14 eggs. For what it's worth, clean water daily, mixture of mixed corn and layers,loads of 'good morning Girls', chickweed and dandelion leaves,and the .22 for the little b*****ds that would like like to invade my property. Jok.

like I said pellets also grass cuttings greens and peelings etc is 3 yr old coming up old like ????

I had some hi sex hybrids and laid well for a good few yrs but went bald and got rspca on to my case lol

their water is clean and also their well fed even others put peelings in always have done

yr 1 n2 were nt world beating layers but this yr is non existant

thanks for your replies

gibbo

They will lay mate, just not that many as last year I'd say about 25% less. They just need a bit of spring sunshine in there backs. Ther not old but when you look at comercial egg laying flocks getting rid at 12 to 18 months a 3 year old bird is well passed it's best. Still a layer but not a good one. Like i said don't over feed. See how it goes this year it might pay to replace them with some p.o.l.'s next year. Also the head twitching is possible worms gape worm so your need to treat that ASAP

All the best?

Edited by stevo79