Immigrating To Canada

Tilly, just read how you are getting on and it sounds like a dream. It sounds f***ing amazing!

I'm almost certainly not brave enough to leave the UK on my own but Canada or N.America more generally is the only place I'd want to go if I ever did. The big game hunting, general wilderness and freedom over there is just SO appealing.

Well done....

thanks mate, it does take alot of guts to move away from where you have lived all your life, the hardest part was leaving my family and friends, but now we have settled ourselves it has made things easier, i do phone my dad/brothers/friends quite often which does help, at the end of this month we will have been here 6 months, the home sickness went after 2-3 months and we feel great right now, the thing is,here, you have so much more freedom, not just hunting/fishing but in general, here you have got what is called (crown land) which is owned by our queen and you can take a motorcross bike/quad/off road buggy and just ride/drive for days, pitch a tent have fire at night, with no both at all, you buy a fishing licence and pretty much fish any where, the same with a boat, you just take a little test on the computer, it was frightening at first all sorts of things go through your mind but once you get past that the reality, excitement, the feel good factor kicks in, im so glad we did it now, i would say to any one who wants to do it, or even talking about doing it, just do if you can before its to late, if it didnt work out, you could always go back home and maybe pick up from where you left it, no harm done, at least you tried it, and that would get rid of the what if's. tilly

I know what country I'm upping sticks to if I win the lottery. None of this buying a villa in a hot country waffle.

You've sold me on Canada.

• Like 2

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

hi,   I posted on here a while ago about immigrating to Canada. I applied for my permanent residency back in may, and, good news, I have just received them now........ yippee ....... woop woop .

Hi Maxhardcore, heres an update for yah. As you know when we landed we stayed with friends and the first job was to get a vehicle to be able to drive about and look at areas that we would like to liv

hi all, my final update before we go, we have managed to sell nearly every thing with only my 4x4 left to sell, its actually gone quite smooth, we have got to say the rest of our good byes to friends

Posted Images

Your living life Tilly,you only get one shot.Hope you enjoy the ice-fishing,I was in Canadian-tire and a gun shop called le baron in nepean yesterday the ice fishing products looked incredible,huge augers,the tents have heaters and seats,walls filled with lures,tiny reels,and an underwater camera kit with a decent sized screen so you can see what's below you as you sit eating hot beavertails and drinking coffee.Ottawa had a proposal to control the city's expanding deer population by bow hunting,it didn't get passed but even the fact the idea was discussed shows how open minded the people are.Loads of crown land around here,I looked at it online and your allowed to hunt,hard to believe the queen owns it so we can just rock up with a rifle and shoot deer,try the same thing on her land in the UK and your getting to wear cuffs.You had your first drop of snow yesterday or the day before?

• Like 1

Tilly, just read how you are getting on and it sounds like a dream. It sounds f***ing amazing!

I'm almost certainly not brave enough to leave the UK on my own but Canada or N.America more generally is the only place I'd want to go if I ever did. The big game hunting, general wilderness and freedom over there is just SO appealing.

Well done....

thanks mate, it does take alot of guts to move away from where you have lived all your life, the hardest part was leaving my family and friends, but now we have settled ourselves it has made things easier, i do phone my dad/brothers/friends quite often which does help, at the end of this month we will have been here 6 months, the home sickness went after 2-3 months and we feel great right now, the thing is,here, you have so much more freedom, not just hunting/fishing but in general, here you have got what is called (crown land) which is owned by our queen and you can take a motorcross bike/quad/off road buggy and just ride/drive for days, pitch a tent have fire at night, with no both at all, you buy a fishing licence and pretty much fish any where, the same with a boat, you just take a little test on the computer, it was frightening at first all sorts of things go through your mind but once you get past that the reality, excitement, the feel good factor kicks in, im so glad we did it now, i would say to any one who wants to do it, or even talking about doing it, just do if you can before its to late, if it didnt work out, you could always go back home and maybe pick up from where you left it, no harm done, at least you tried it, and that would get rid of the what if's. tilly

I know what country I'm upping sticks to if I win the lottery. None of this buying a villa in a hot country waffle.

have you seen the programme on bbc about the ulster Canadian immigrants? Looks like we could be welcomed with friendly arms
  • Like 1

Good to hear you are settling over there fella.

What's the crack with hunting over there? Many restrictions? What do you do hunting wise?

hi gaz, i know it sounds odd but i haven't looked into the hunting to much as we've had to get the settling in all sorted, what with my mates marriage not going to well so we had to find our own place, i have found some time for some fishing as my mates were going quite a bit, there are loads of canadian geese and ducks around now as all the fields have been harvested, so i wouldn't mind a bit of that, your probably better off asking mackem he seems to ask the right people about it where as im a bit of the shy type lol, i will be finding out eventually, ive got plenty of time. tilly

Sounds great.I'll love to make that move.don't it before now settled back into the UK.yoh know when your a local you don't start converting dollars back to pounds when buying stuff

ha ha mate, the funny thing is i still keep doing it, only because a lot of things here are much cheaper than back home, you just get so much more for your money here.

tilly

Well done....

i like your thinking mate, but you wouldn't need to win the big one to come over to live, there's a lot of paper work to do, i think it took my wife one week to fill them in, and by her doing it, it saved us £2000, and it eventually cost us around the £1500 mark, all depending which route you take to get into the country would determine the length of time you would have to wait to gain entry, and it's worth the wait,

• Like 1

Your living life Tilly,you only get one shot.Hope you enjoy the ice-fishing,I was in Canadian-tire and a gun shop called le baron in nepean yesterday the ice fishing products looked incredible,huge augers,the tents have heaters and seats,walls filled with lures,tiny reels,and an underwater camera kit with a decent sized screen so you can see what's below you as you sit eating hot beavertails and drinking coffee.Ottawa had a proposal to control the city's expanding deer population by bow hunting,it didn't get passed but even the fact the idea was discussed shows how open minded the people are.Loads of crown land around here,I looked at it online and your allowed to hunt,hard to believe the queen owns it so we can just rock up with a rifle and shoot deer,try the same thing on her land in the UK and your getting to wear cuffs.You had your first drop of snow yesterday or the day before?

hi mack, i'm looking forward to the ice fishing trip with my mate, he can teach me, and take me to the right places, i think he's got the gear for on the ice, i like going to canadian-tire stores especially if you go to the big ones, they have so much different gear it's unreal, you can go and buy a gun, collect the ammo of the self, get your fishing gear, buy spares for your car, and whilst your doing all that there changing all your tires as well, unbelievable,most people go off to the crown land after work on a friday just to get away with there trailers or fifth wheeler, and come back sunday evening all fresh for monday, the snow didn't amount to much here but the other morning it was -9 but because the air is alot drier here it didn't actually feel that bad, but in banff they have had a lot of snow and the sking is good there at the mo,

tilly

• Like 1

You've got to Emigrate to become an Immigrant :whistling: On that note, have a great time and indeed live in on of the worlds best countries. Sincere best wishes to you and your family. HOWEVER :hmm: Stay in touch with us bunch over here.

• Like 2

Where are you at? Alberta?

hi mate, we are in a place called Chestermere, on the out skirts of Calgary, and about an hours drive from the Rockies, tilly

I'm six hours north of you near Slave Lake.

If your ever up this way or fancy a days quadding in the bush, let me know.

We have some of the best hunting and fishing in the world.

Good luck with your journey.

• Like 4

hi mate, we are in a place called Chestermere, on the out skirts of Calgary, and about an hours drive from the Rockies, tilly

hi mate, that's jolly decent of you and if i do get to go up that way i will look you up, where are you at? tilly.

hi mate, that's jolly decent of you and if i do get to go up that way i will look you up, where are you at? tilly.

Near Slave Lake, about 6 hours north of you. Gods country! lol

• Like 1

Got back to blighty yesterday,missus is on a bit of a downer,let us know how you get on with the ice-fishing tilly,maybe a few pics?i got a nice beautifully balanced ice-fishing kit,Abu Garcia,for £18,a friend is inviting me over in feb to shoot so hopefully get a chance to test my rod out as all the local waterways will be frozen solid,be lucky.

• Like 1