Advice On A Ferreting Dog

Hi lads I am after some advice.i do fair bit of ferreting and I am after a dog to assist me. I have been offer a whippet of 7 months old it's never seen a rabbit or owt.are whippets any good for what I want or do I need to go for whippet cross or something else. my pal has a Patterdale and he is forever dig him out after the rabbits.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

always found a lurcher with Beddy in it, usually has a good nose, 3/4 Whippet 1/4 Bedlington, given a positive mark at three Months old. Has turned into a cracking marker, never tells lies.

My Westie like a day ferreting, canny nose on him. Not every choice but get him oot.   PUD

That is the lurcher mix that I breed, and favour...   Nice and nimble, quick and quiet around a warren...and just right for the hedgerow game...

Posted Images

Don't rule out a bushing type like some of the dogs in the bushing section depending on your ground and needs. Bit more robust if your just after a marker helper . Get some thing thats a bit over sized for going to ground as well maybe. Just a thought

get a colie greyhound whippet type fech pure breeds had some up for a hunt some were alrite but were not as a hardy as a good lurcher get something 23 inches at shoulder see parents work and then make your mind up ,half of the dogs on net or advetised are pets come workers , as i says get a dog with a touch of collie and rest whippet greyhound they make the best rabbiting dogs ive saw , hope you get a good one

• Like 1

Beddy whippets make good ferreting dogs too. I have one thats 21 inches, not a first cross more like a whippet with a better coat and skin. perfect for the ground I hunt on. Marks brilliant and not interested in sheep. She saves me getting filthy rugby tackling rabbits.

Sounds ideal any pics of her

Cheers

Gaz

get a colie greyhound whippet type fech pure breeds had some up for a hunt some were alrite but were not as a hardy as a good lurcher get something 23 inches at shoulder see parents work and then make your mind up ,half of the dogs on net or advetised are pets come workers , as i says get a dog with a touch of collie and rest whippet greyhound they make the best rabbiting dogs ive saw , hope you get a good one

That is the lurcher mix that I breed, and favour... :yes:

Nice and nimble, quick and quiet around a warren...and just right for the hedgerow game...

Edited by Phil Lloyd
  • Like 2

i realise twenty 23 years ago what was needed for the rabbiting game and it wasnt a furry womble of hanckcok etc or a pure collie thing ,had some very good bitches at the bolting game and steady with it no madness top gear and as back as quick as they go out , soft mouth to ,great sport