Worlds Strongest Man .......

That competition normally takes place in Sept so wont spoil it....the drug testing has always been controversial as although they do test for the standard 5 they just dont test for AAS or any other performance enhancing drugs simply because if they did they wouldnt have a competition simple as that !......Pudzianowski the Polish guy was tested and banned about 10 years ago but only tested positive for cocaine not AAS.

I spent some time with Gary Taylor years back the weight he could shift was unbelievable,his dedication to eating was something most " normal " peoples systems just couldnt cope with regardless of their physical strength.

Personally i think some of the events they do these days are not aimed at pure strength and power as much as technical ability which is a shame as the strongest guy doesnt always win....on a rack i would regularly outlift Gary on overhead presses for pure shoulder strength but away from a rack and barbell he would piss all over me as his grip strength and technique were far superior....to me a static lift should be static so i agree with the person above who said the old comps in the Kazmaier/Capes/Sigmarsson days were better.

• Like 4

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Wouldnt fancy their drugs bill for the year

Its only a rough guide i wouldnt get too hung up on it .....a sign you are in good nick is when your bicep,neck and calf are all within an inch of each other . ......................Its like with t

That competition normally takes place in Sept so wont spoil it....the drug testing has always been controversial as although they do test for the standard 5 they just dont test for AAS or any other pe

Thats it....similar to raw or classic powerlifting i just dont see the need for it......unless you are lifting with what nature gave you its a no lift in my book.................trouble is its all the different federations putting their own little twist on what the sport/s should be.

Had the same thing as you gnash ... My shoulder strength was always immense and the guys I trained with were miles behind me when it came to a seated military press ... But on different machinery where they could use their legs we were much closer together weight wise .......

Had the same thing as you gnash ... My shoulder strength was always immense and the guys I trained with were miles behind me when it came to a seated military press ... But on different machinery where they could use their legs we were much closer together weight wise .......

I never found it so much on machinery as isolating the shoulders was right up my street.... it was more in terms of the equipment they use for them competitions where they will lift a log from the floor and press it overhead.....if i could get it to the chest then i was confident of pressing out some serious weight......but i didnt really have the grip,the back strength and like i say the tecnical ability to get it there........its like the overhead press they do now they are allowed to dip,or even double dip to lock the arms out ( though they might of stopped the double dip now im not sure ).......a press movement shouldnt involve the whole body thats why its called a press it should only work your shoulders and triceps......my chest and shoulder strength i inherritted from the ol man and since lifting seriously im rarely beaten in those type of lifts......but thats in a gym...........outside a gym with different equipment using different bodyparts those same weights become very different lifts........but hey thats their sport and fair play to them ive seen the dedication it takes and its very impressive.

Steroids or not, like olympic athletes you need to be a genetic freak to get to their strength levels. For maximal strength powerlifting would be a better test of strength, but unless you practice the lifts it would probably be boring for the average person to watch.

• Like 1

I like the strongman events, I like all what I would call functional strength lifts. For pure muscle power simple common gym lifts test that but the fella that excels at that may very well have barely above average ability in everyday lifting tasks, having never really developed the athleticism and coordination required to get all those muscle groups functioning together optimally.

I like it but that's just my opinion.

For me pound for pound Jon Pall Sigmarson was the strongest man who ever lived.These guys today like Brian Shaw,Zavickas and the Icelander,even Terry Hollands are all human giants of 6 ft 8 plus and 30 stone......Jon Pall,s static lifts were not far off what these guys are lifting today and he was 6 ft 3 and 21 stone......any wrist measurement over 7 1/2 inches for a man is considered large boned......Sigmarsson had a 8 inch wrist Brian Shaw has a 9 1/2 inch wrist its almost absurd that human beings can be this size by nature.....What makes Jon Pall,s achievements even more unique is he was a fantastic bodybuilder as well as strongman .....how many of todays strongmen could win strongman comps and cut down to win bodybuilding comps in the same year !

For me pound for pound Jon Pall Sigmarson was the strongest man who ever lived.These guys today like Brian Shaw,Zavickas and the Icelander,even Terry Hollands are all human giants of 6 ft 8 plus and 30 stone......Jon Pall,s static lifts were not far off what these guys are lifting today and he was 6 ft 3 and 21 stone......any wrist measurement over 7 1/2 inches for a man is considered large boned......Sigmarsson had a 8 inch wrist Brian Shaw has a 9 1/2 inch wrist its almost absurd that human beings can be this size by nature.....What makes Jon Pall,s achievements even more unique is he was a fantastic bodybuilder as well as strongman .....how many of todays strongmen could win strongman comps and cut down to win bodybuilding comps in the same year !

Do you think his early death was due to his extreme training gnash ... As in bulking up rapidly for strongman events and then cutting back for bodybuilding ??? ... I remember reading that a weak heart was something that his family is supposed to have suffered from but that could have been made up ... Or maybe it was to do with poor knowledge on what they were taking at the time ??? ..........

spot on there gnash.My mate Paul trains with Terry Holland and was Britain's 105kg champ for a couple of years.To see him superyokeing over 400kg and log pressing 130 was much more impressive than seeing them 30 stones doing 20 or 30kg more especially as before he started training at the age of 32 he was only 12.5stone .
  • Like 1

Do you think his early death was due to his extreme training gnash ... As in bulking up rapidly for strongman events and then cutting back for bodybuilding ??? ... I remember reading that a weak heart was something that his family is supposed to have suffered from but that could have been made up ... Or maybe it was to do with poor knowledge on what they were taking at the time ??? ..........

Ive spoken to Jon Palls son before and yes heart defects were in the family,at least 3 of his male descendants had suffered premature heart failure........any strength athlete will have an enlarged heart,infact any endurance athlete will also but the danger is the lack of cardio associated with pure strength training the heart after all is a muscle......Jon Palls heart literally exploded during a heavy deadlifting session.....i dont know for sure but no i wouldnt imagine bulking and cutting back for bodybuilding would have played a part i just think a man with his family history who committed himself to strength the way he did he was never going to live a long life......and i think he knew that.......beautiful soft natured man as well i met him at a Highland Games event back years ago a real warm friendly guy.....shame.

spot on there gnash.My mate Paul trains with Terry Holland and was Britain's 105kg champ for a couple of years.To see him superyokeing over 400kg and log pressing 130 was much more impressive than seeing them 30 stones doing 20 or 30kg more especially as before he started training at the age of 32 he was only 12.5stone .

Thats it mate.....you often find the smaller lads ( not that 16 stone is small ) try to bulk up for the open comps but their bodies just cant deal with the extra calories and they just cant compete with the big lads.....i used to train regularly with Jimmy Marku he was another one who just wasnt quite big enough to compete at the very highest level yet his core strength was unreal,probably on par with the big 30 stone boys in a pound for pound competition.......id quite like to see those competitions done in a weight lifted/bodyweight ratio kind of format where you see who truly has the strongest body......a bit like the old dog weight pulling competitions if you remember.....but it just wouldnt make sense with the loading events and suchlike.

• Like 1

Magnus ver Magnusson was also an Icelander like Sigmarrson and he was also 6'3" but not sure of his weight. Magnusson won the Title 4 times iirc and nearly had a 5th Title but in the last event on the show had a poor hold on a big anchor iirc and he dropped it,sure all he had to do was finish and he'd won it again that year. The WSM just doesn't have the characters like it used to have in the 80s 90s.

Edit to say he was slightly lighter than Sigmarsson

Edited by MickC