Live Trapping Squirrels

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

IMO no matter how much natural food is about they cannot help themselves when theres a supply of peanuts. I've trapped lots during the summer months and they cannot resist the peanuuts. JMHO>

Whatever method you choose to utilise..it must be as humane as possible... I generally trap em,.sack em,..then dislocate their neck vertebrae....

They are easy to cage trap ... bait with peanut butter put the trap at the base of a tree and cover with natural foliage and bobs your uncle ........

Posted Images

We gave up serious trapping of squirrels about 3 months ago because there is so much natural food about, there are tons of beech mast, acorns, hazel nuts and berries everywhere, probably start again in January.

Also you must take into acount what they have already stashed.When the food source has gone they are pretty easy to cage trap, i put all my traps on platforms up in the trees ,stops predators wrecking the cages trying to get the squirrels out, whole maize and peanuts are a good bait,

hope this helps.

Brian

+1 for peanuts. Husked or shelled loose and all year round.

I have found that threading the husks and hanging them above the treddle to be more productive. With their Inquisitive minds they can't resist.

summer months, they are easy to catch, most of the natural food does not appear till the autumn, i do a lot of grey control for the red squirrel society's and they will not pay for trapping during the autumn, but they still pay for shooting.