Beddy's Yapping ?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'll never understand the need to show a young dog an older lurcher working rabbit on lamp.. foxes pre ban yeah but if the pup not up to rabbit job wait a couple month till its ready...I wouldn't expe

always found it odd as digging beddys often worked mute

I dont think its all about frustration yips come from excitement too. Id rather have a dog that gets revved up and wants to knock over whats infront of it over a "brainy" type that picks its own runs

They do have s tendency to yap, more than other breeds, your never going to be able to prevent a worker coming under pressure at some point

It's more how you deal with it then, a yap on the turn don't make it a bad worker,

• Like 2

My old mate's beddy x's never opened up, ever, hunted up like cnuts on the lamp lol, but never opened up! Worse dog for opening up I've seen was a bull/grey x collie/grey. And the only whippet I've heard opening up was one of carl williams' dogs many years ago.

Edited to add

Sorry, it wasn't the only whippet I'd heard opening up, it was the first

Edited by shaaark

As others have said, don't start it too young, and don't give it difficult slips, i.e rabbit too close to cover, too far away for pup to gain ground on it etc, and get it out on it's own. I know others sometimes allow pups to watch an older dog run, but I've seen that have the opposite effect on a pup, and it normally winds the fuckers up, unnecessary hassle! :thumbs:

Some good advice here , i was told to let the pup watch other experienced dogs work but i can also see were your coming from "shaaark" especially at night when theres nothing else to look at other than down the beam , what would people say about daytime work i.e. Ferreting ... Would this still frustrate a young dog and make it yap ?

Matt

always found it odd as digging beddys often worked mute

that's what ive heard that the pure's are near enough mute, so to me its I would say the whippet in mix, as had whippets before they can sing abit when running something that getting away from them lol. seen a dog that looked like a patx whippet the other day, little leggy terrier looked nice little dog not yappy , but full on little dog, a nice little bushing dog .don't suppose you see many about ? something I like in the future this x .!

I'll never understand the need to show a young dog an older lurcher working rabbit on lamp.. foxes pre ban yeah but if the pup not up to rabbit job wait a couple month till its ready...I wouldn't expect any breed of lurcher not to be frustrated watching another work..jmo atb sesku

• Like 5

My old mate's beddy x's never opened up, ever, hunted up like cnuts on the lamp lol, but never opened up! Worse dog for opening up I've seen was a bull/grey x collie/grey. And the only whippet I've heard opening up was one of carl williams' dogs many years ago.

Edited to add

I had a Whippet X Grey bred by Carl Williams, always ran silent :thumbs:

• Like 1

Edited to add

I had a Whippet X Grey bred by Carl Williams, always ran silent :thumbs:

'Bow' the sire?

• Like 1