Saluki

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

our 1st x takes fox anytime it presents itself.he spent 2 seasons out with a hound pack and took them at every oppertunity. everything hes been asked to do he has,hes taken some stick from them to

Fuji, it really baffles me how you can say that a dog that boxes is only any good for big land, imo a clever dog that tries to keep a hare away from cover is better off on smaller land where it can ge

My two the dog is the boxy type, very direct, on rabbits, boxy on the long ears, direct when flushing Roe has a great nose on him, bitch is direct, can run clever as well, she is clean bred saluki/whi

A good working saluki will have a go at what ever it is let run after. Where the problem starts with the x.s is that salukis that are not worked are used as a stud or dam these is the old addage to put wind in the dog, if the sole reason is to put wind in then stick a bicycle pump up its arse. A lot of the saluki lines in uk have been bred down from a small nucleus of salukis and from that gene pool some mediocre or even poor dogs have resulted giving rise to claims like salukis are plodders. they are stupid , they are one trick ponies they have no bottle LOL In my experience the right lines posses all the qualities required in a working dog and its normally the owners who are the one trick ponies. like the lads who coarse only long ears and would have a dicky fit slipping on anything else. Some one said the boxing style of salukis is boring . the boxing of a quarry done right is an art in itself and as for the lack of speed don't know what dogs these lads have been watching. A class working saluki will run the quarry according to conditions and location and type of quarry, they haven't survived for thousands of years not being top class hunting dogs.

bullxgrey x coursing type dogs from what ive heard will tackle what ever in front of them, and ive seen lurcher bred very similar , kill foxes no prob all solo, that bit of pit, and saluki deff fires them up . you got the speed,power,stamina,guts, to deal with that quarry, suppose the prob is lads with coursing or saluki type dogs norm go for daytime big rabbits/deer than old Charlie boy, pre ban days , shame as the dog I seen back in the 80s took all the above quarry no prob, but he was bit sharp with other dogs as well , if they tried it on , but great dog day+night :yes:

A good working saluki will have a go at what ever it is let run after. Where the problem starts with the x.s is that salukis that are not worked are used as a stud or dam these is the old addage to put wind in the dog, if the sole reason is to put wind in then stick a bicycle pump up its arse. A lot of the saluki lines in uk have been bred down from a small nucleus of salukis and from that gene pool some mediocre or even poor dogs have resulted giving rise to claims like salukis are plodders. they are stupid , they are one trick ponies they have no bottle LOL In my experience the right lines posses all the qualities required in a working dog and its normally the owners who are the one trick ponies. like the lads who coarse only long ears and would have a dicky fit slipping on anything else. Some one said the boxing style of salukis is boring . the boxing of a quarry done right is an art in itself and as for the lack of speed don't know what dogs these lads have been watching. A class working saluki will run the quarry according to conditions and location and type of quarry, they haven't survived for thousands of years not being top class hunting dogs.

sounds a good cross that bull x to coursing dog

bullxgrey x coursing type dogs from what ive heard will tackle what ever in front of them, and ive seen lurcher bred very similar , kill foxes no prob all solo, that bit of pit, and saluki deff fires them up . you got the speed,power,stamina,guts, to deal with that quarry, suppose the prob is lads with coursing or saluki type dogs norm go for daytime big rabbits/deer than old Charlie boy, pre ban days , shame as the dog I seen back in the 80s took all the above quarry no prob, but he was bit sharp with other dogs as well , if they tried it on , but great dog day+night :yes:

sounds a good cross that bullx to a coursing dog Edited by snappeer

When i use to work out in the middle east, most salukis out in the deserts killed everything but the livestock around their camps, from desert wolves to desrt mice.

Only the best survived and worked and passed on the genes, which has been going on for a very long time and has assured a Unique breed of dog.

They are not your normal domestic dog, well the ones i seen anyway, they were moreless feral, but hunted along side the men that had them.

• Like 5

A good working saluki does not need any bull putting with it as Phil Win said they will take jackal and wolf so a fox here is no problem what so ever for the right pure. Basically if it moves they will have it He is right they don't touch the flocks around there own home but will take anything else .

Looks a very useful dog. He got speed and plenty of stamina?

yeah hes fast enough,t we do give fair law when possible and hes stopped hares on many occasions and taken everything else put to him too,so were happy out with him.

It was me who said that Salukis and that boxing malarkey was boring desertbred and in my opinion it is lol..an art to some I agree but an understatement calling it boring to me..its no good doing that on anything other than big land, a dog could not get away with that style of running anywhere else,ie pasture, grazing paddocks etc: so a dog with that trait is very limited to where it can succeed in its work imo? .. I keep a Saluki type plus another out of a coursing bred bitch so im not condemning the Saluki per se only just that boxing carry on, a busy type of dog is my type but each to their own I guess? As we don't have Wolves, Jackals and such roaming our little island the Saluki x is no different to all other types of lurchers,some will and some won't when it comes to our own countrys quarry..there's no guarantees in this game apart from disappointment when you least expect it lol

• Like 1