4 In The Bag On A Solo Hunt.

Daz39

Not often I go out on me todd, but Mac was stuck in and Matt is still crocked and away with work, so I took myself to the same spot Mac and I bagged 14 two week ago. I sorted the scope out and went to the first field, took 4 shots at 4 rabbits and missed the lot of em, shocking, barn doors and cows arses! Couldn't figure what was wrong.

I went back to the car, got the targets out and checked my zero, spot on, no adjustment needed.

I moved to a different field, and again, 2 shots 2 misses...wtf.

I was about to jack it when I saw another rabbit and half heartedly went after it. It sat with its back to me so I put the crosshair on the back of its napper and pop, down it went...I gave the HW100 a scowl and went to pick up. 25 yrds as I tried to get as close as possible with this one.

I walked a little further and saw another rabbit, down I went, cross hairs on, pop, down he went too, pellet hit where I aimed. 32 yrds paced on this one.

I'm still not happy here, 8 shots 6 total misses (I could hear the pellets hit grass, fence post, bushes, ground, no pop or crack of hitting a rabbit, no jumping rabbits). I have a rabbit on each leg now so went back to the car to drop them off. I checked my zero again, and fine. I looked at the pellets in the mag and there were no bent skirts or anything. I can only put the misses down to maybe a cant on the bipod or the wind which was gusting last night.

I went back to the first field but there was nothing out so I crossed the road to the field of ESP bunnies. These buggers run when you blink, they are so skittish. Sure enough, one walk round the parameter, 25+ rabbits seen, 25+ rabbits ran off before I was within 100 yards of them (wind was in my face too).

I was going to pack up and go home but decided to lay up at one spot which was partially lit with moon light & street lamps. I had seen 6-7 run in here so sat it out. I wasn't going to use the lamp so had to shoot in very dark conditions. I could just make out shadows and after 20 mins, saw a light grey lump moving around. I looked thorugh the scope and could make the rabbit out just, I estimated 40 yards so with 1/2 a mil dot took a shot an dhe rolled over nice. Rather than walk over I scanned around and sure enough spotted another grey shadow. I lined this one up with a full mil dot and down went rabbit number 4. On pacing these two out, the first was 47 yrds the second 56 yrds!

I love my HW100 in .177 but by the wind is buggering about with my shots. On the second 2 rabbits, the field is more sheltered so no issues there. Rabbits cleaned and at the butchers already. That is £40 from 2 nighs out!

D25D0B40-16AD-4FE9-AC69-3E8C2EBF96F3_zps

Top two were big lads! Butcher was well happy!

• Like 4

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Not often I go out on me todd, but Mac was stuck in and Matt is still crocked and away with work, so I took myself to the same spot Mac and I bagged 14 two week ago. I sorted the scope out and went to

Yer i may be like that but ahem                                                                 who got nine the last time out :tongue2:         guess that

here you go vm and this was dune by an 8yr old boy little hunter

Posted Images

It was the shorter distances ironically that were worse! 25-35 yards I was missing. When I took the 2 long shots (because I was laying down and I couldn't really move without spooking them), the pellets flew straight as a die!

I try holding my breath and trying to pull the trigger between gusts but theres only so long i can hold my breath LOL

Yeah I was trying a similar thing, the problem is it was so damn unpredicatable. One of the misses the rabbit bent down to eat.... some was bad luck, but it really gets in your head!

Nice going daz, I'm away with work the place I'm staying is crawling with bunnys, counted over 50 one night the boss is having none of it though. Could of shot 6 out the bathroom window but its all cctvd up.

I hate that, we went to Scotland for a weeks holiday, surrounded by farms....full of rabbits... we also went to Keilder Forrest........the holidya park was BOUNCING..... My mrs just looks at me and smiles, she knows exactly what I'm thinking!

I often go to a place in Germany, Rothenkirchen, wayyyyyyyyyyy east, black forrest area, they do propper hunting, the hotel is actually a hunters lodge, full of deer heads and the most amazing venison!! Mmmmmm

Nice shooting daz , out on your own is some times a good thing , it's a lot less noisy, even when Big Mac is tramping around lol, just sometimes it gets a bit spooky

Atb Dave

Cheers Dave, yeah with his pissing, moaning, coughing, he doesn't half make a racket! haha. I am normally ok on my own, just often jack it sooner if it gets cold or goes quiet. Though last night I was walking through a field and spooked a flock of partridge, SHAT myself, didn't see em, just felt a load of em fly directly at me!

Andy, you need to PM me your contact details. If I am stuck again for a shooting partner, I'll give you a shout. Not often Mac can't get out like, but if I have your details, at least I can shout mate.

Daz - you have PM mate :)