Best Cross For All Rounder

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

To get a true all rounder it's not just the breeding that needs to be right you have to have the right permission and game to show a dog enough of everything there's a lot of different parts of lurche

We all started at the wrong end of the learning rainbow snifferboy,the best lessons learnt are from the mistakes we made and make,its then using the errors we make to move on,one of the main reasons I

Lurcher x lurcher from tested parents doing the job you want yours to do

The "right" Collie does and always will.

yup agree the right one,but like bullx finding it is a nightmare,you say training one a lurcher for several years,bloody hell,a lurcher should be up and running trained reasonable and doing the buisness by 18momth to 2yrs old.

At 18 months of age id expect any lurcher to know the basics,to take the same mutt through the next "stages" of its education,especially if the Grail is chased,will often take another few seasons of dedicated resolve,on both parties,before that mutt can be classed as an accomplished hunting companion.By the time an average lurcher learns its "real" trade its reaching retirement,the time the best allrounders thrive,then go downhill.

I went out above Ilkley one bright and frosty morning,84-85,the dog marked a 3 holer and stood vigil whilst the ferret was entered,then caught 2 bolted rabbits,a little later that day it caught and retrieved alive a farmyard cockerel that was in flight,whilst the dog was jumping a 5 bar gate.It then picked an hare out of its seat on the moor and another it hunted out of a small wood and ran over the same moor.Within the hour I had 2 grouse in the bag it plucked from the heather.A Guinea fowl,that the keeper had amidst his pheasants was next in the bag,the best eating bird ive had the pleasure to eat for free.He put a 3/4 bred Roe in the boot of the car and that night in the dales caught about 14 rabbits and a fox.I still remember every second of that day and night and have possibly got into the habit of expecting every dog since to be and do the same,it was one of those halcyon days that come about once in a lifetime,my type of allrounder.Edited to say the dog was a Collie,Deerhoundy-Saluki-Deerhoundy type.

Edited by morton
  • Like 4

never have owned such a type morton i can only say you must of been blessed to have such a mutt i have seen a few you describe and they were a pleasure to watch the old lad near me has had the pleasure to own a few like yours most a collie grey deer hound mix but they were never a true allrounder but served a purpose every dog has its faults its working to its strengths that make a dogman

To be honest blackmaggie at the time I possibly never realised what I had in the kennel,then we took it as said that the mutts put a shift in,week after week after week,i had 8 or 9 dogs then that all earnt their keep,ive had no more than 2 for a few years now that just about manage to tick over,they have their moments,nothing like the halcyon days of youthful exhuberence,ignorance of others and feck the world attitude that the lurcher and its owner thrived upon then,the hunting laws have put a mocker on what some of us took for granted,i admire the feckless youth and older generation that can put a jukel through its paces now,especially the ones that only leave tyre tracks,footprints and a patch of fur.

• Like 2

We all started at the wrong end of the learning rainbow snifferboy,the best lessons learnt are from the mistakes we made and make,its then using the errors we make to move on,one of the main reasons Ive an affinity with Collie-curs is they have learnt me so much,they adapt to the stupidest owner and work accordingly.I learnt a little more every week and with each lurcher I owned,feck ive spoilt some useful mutts through ignorance.Some people learn from their mistakes,others keep making the same ones.Keep at it and never ever be afraid to admit you need to learn,the true sign of commitment.

• Like 7

thats the type i admire also but with growing old with like you say your more careful in your choice of land but its has much has looking at yourself how you can improve as well has your mutt but to own such a dog is still a goal whether i can do it justice is another story

a well bred bullxgrey x salukixgrey seem to be very good dogs, they handle all quarry very well. ive got a 1x Alsatian x grey that doing very well for a young dog, if this x are all like him , its not a bad x at all to have :yes: