Fox Control With A .22

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I bet more foxes have also ran off with .22 in them more than any other round also

more foxes shot with a .22 than any other round I would imagine

That's exactly the reason mate. But technically, under that condition, you would be breaking the conditions of your FAC if you decided to take your 'deer rifle' out specifically to shoot a fox during

Posted Images

sadly i wager too many shooter would not pass up a fox at 120 yards but would in the moment have a go.i allways say the lamp man carries the brain and switches off if not 100% happy .

small print.it goes without saying the safty of shot lies with the trigger man.

who as told you this 120 yards with a 22 lr .do you want to lose your licence in west Yorkshire there is very few with fox on there ticket,and if you can it a fox at 120 yards whats it scoped in at 30 yards for a rabbit give your head a shake

i think you should perhaps read my coment again carefully.i don't rate the 22 for fox at all.i don't own a .22 but use a 6mm br.i was stating if someone went out looking for close range fox i doubt they would in the moment turn down a longer shot ????? at no point do i claim to do it.once you have read it again an apology would be nice for your give your head a shake comment.

mike

• Like 2

Why do people have a problem with close range fox hunting with a .22 ? i would of thought it's fine aslong as its a clean kill.

is there a law that says it cannot be done ?

Daz

yes in west Yorkshire

Are you suggesting W Yorks have their OWN law that says it cannot be done ?

Edited by Deker
  • Like 1

You can't go round shooting foxes at 120 yards with a .22lr. Anything over 70 yards I won't personally chance with a .22lr ill leave it for a night I've got a more adequate calibre fir that sort of range and my personal tool for any fox over 70 yards is a .243 and previously a .22-250

Everyone has their own ability, experience and limits...and cabinet full of rifles.

To state any set distance or calibre with any rifle is a little rash.

Whilst I would suggest 120 yards on fox with a .22lr is a little far for me generally, I have taken a 20lb fox with a .22lr sub at exactly 100 yards and it dropped like a stone. And as for moving up to a .243 for fox over 70 yards, "I've got a more adequate calibre fir that sort of range and my personal tool for any fox over 70 yards is a .243", well, I don't have any issue with a WMR or HMR out to around 120 yards and then my .223 out to 200+. If I ran a Hornet then distance would slot in between those. If I suspected I was looking at 200 yards+ foxes all night then I would certainly seriously consider my .243, but truth be known I don't often have to as they are easy to train and bring closer generally, .243 would not enter my head at 70 yards for a fox!

I see a .243 as a superb long range fox tool/calibre but 70 yards isn't even close to long range in my book.

Cheers :thumbs:

Edited by Deker

I currently only have a 22lr and .243 so thats what I mean by anything more than 70 yards I'd use the .243 though I am looking at a .17 remington or Hornet to slot between the .22 and .243. I completely agree 70 yards isn't long range but that's all I'm personally willing to take a fox with a .22

Why do people have a problem with close range fox hunting with a .22 ? i would of thought it's fine aslong as its a clean kill.

Daz

yes in west Yorkshire

Nope but the licensing guidelines are clear on the point. The only point open to interpretation is "close range" and I'd think you'd have difficulty getting 120yds classified as close range in Court if a revocation for breach of conditions followed.Of course there maybe some flexibility here if the licence is not conditioned with the correct wording.

However, something to always bear in mind, irrespective of licensing conditions, the laws on causing unecessary suffering etc still apply and unless you can show every shot results in an instanteous death at 120yds, you'd have a hard time defending yourself against a cruelty charge using .22LR at that range in my opinion should some animal group or member of the public film a wounding at that distance.

sadly i wager too many shooter would not pass up a fox at 120 yards but would in the moment have a go.i allways say the lamp man carries the brain and switches off if not 100% happy .

who as told you this 120 yards with a 22 lr .do you want to lose your licence in west Yorkshire there is very few with fox on there ticket,and if you can it a fox at 120 yards whats it scoped in at 30 yards for a rabbit give your head a shake

i think you should perhaps read my coment again carefully.i don't rate the 22 for fox at all.i don't own a .22 but use a 6mm br.i was stating if someone went out looking for close range fox i doubt they would in the moment turn down a longer shot ????? at no point do i claim to do it.once you have read it again an apology would be nice for your give your head a shake comment.

mike

yes mike misread your comment sorry buddy

Daz

yes in west Yorkshire

Nope but the licensing guidelines are clear on the point. The only point open to interpretation is "close range" and I'd think you'd have difficulty getting 120yds classified as close range in Court if a revocation for breach of conditions followed.Of course there maybe some flexibility here if the licence is not conditioned with the correct wording.

However, something to always bear in mind, irrespective of licensing conditions, the laws on causing unecessary suffering etc still apply and unless you can show every shot results in an instanteous death at 120yds, you'd have a hard time defending yourself against a cruelty charge using .22LR at that range in my opinion should some animal group or member of the public film a wounding at that distance.

:hmm::hmm: :hmm:

You are off wondering around comments on the thread, my question was about the response to the OP.

:hmm::hmm: :hmm:

You are off wondering around comments on the thread, my question was about the response to the OP.

Wasn't aware I was but OK.

Why are we even talking about the poxy twentytwo? Seventeen hummer is ten times the gun......

:whistling:

Nah. This is what you want on your hummer for fox control:

or for stealth at night, the balck civi version built into a regular SUV:

Mine you, I hate to be a reloader. That'd be quite a few nights in front of the telly after a hunting trip!

Edited by Alsone

mike

yes mike misread your comment sorry buddy

thanks pal,this is how forums should be.happy hunting bud