No Bull Blood!

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

More foxes were killed pre ban than there is now ,I'd say simply because of the amount of lads who chucked it when the ban came in, same as the lads with coursing dogs, more Hares were also killed bac

Glad you mentioned the 70 & 80's Bird, because in that era the apbt was at it's very best, and maybe on into the really 90's, in them era's there was a lot of game tested dogs on the scene, genuin

Wheaten if you aint wanting bull blood ....

i ran a deerhound x collie,grey. mid 90's. big dog took charlie single handed for a pastime. ran well on big ears too. he stood about 28". his litter brother was a little bigger and heavier and still took charlie sh after suffering a broken neck.

• Like 1

I had a first cross Bedlington/ Greyhound early 90s that was a monster for Foxes,and everything else for that matter,one of those dogs that always seemed to catch even on a bad night . Bred him a couple of times but he never produced anything like himself .

the apbt that was used in the 70-80s that were used in lurcher breeding produced some great dogs, they weren't over big and great on anything that bite back :yes: . what makes them different to another lurcher is there (mind-set ) they will take more punishment than any other lurchers doing what there bred for. any lurcher what ever the breeding in general will kill few foxes, its the doing it serious stuff 4-5 times a week getting bite night after night , that where the (proper) bullx lurcher come into its own :yes: . I had good big colliex grey Blaze he kill foxes no prob , but wouldn't take the stick a good bull x would I don't think . And even bit of bull in a lurcher just for rabbits a good thing, they had that more commitment to the job, drop of good bull a good thing I think, had 3 bullxs all good lurchers. got a 1x gsd x grey now and he like a bullx regards commitment to his job he give 100% on what ever you put him on, just like the bullxs did .. :thumbs:

• Like 1

Back in the 80's I had a first cross border collie x greyhound (not from Hancock but a farmer near Milton Keynes). Although fox wasn't my main quarry, he hated them with a passion and would bust a gut to catch them. Never had any problems dealing with them single handed, and was still catching them (occasionally) when he was 11, but after that although the mind was still willing, the body wasn't. And a mate of mine had a first cross bedlington x greyhound that was even more mad for charlie than that dog of mine. He took some punishment getting the job done, but it never bothered him in the slightest.

Edited by krawnden
  • Like 1

Depends what foxes your running I think if your only after September cubs at stubble time You'll do ok without bull blood owned a few coursing dogs that would shake a fox I've seen small lurchers kill a few but a good few dogs bull/greys included get sickened come December January time when the easy ones have been taken even more so if you like them doing it singlehanded IMO.

Depends what foxes your running I think if your only after September cubs at stubble time You'll do ok without bull blood owned a few coursing dogs that would shake a fox I've seen small lurchers kill a few but a good few dogs bull/greys included get sickened come December January time when the easy ones have been taken even more so if you like them doing it singlehanded IMO.

:thumbs:

Now im probably going to get some stick of chid here, and it may seem like im contradicting myself, but as HUNTING DOGS, beddy x's and wheatens x's are hard and mute, the only thing a bull x will have over these is jaw power and finishing ability

• Like 1

the apbt that was used in the 70-80s that were used in lurcher breeding produced some great dogs, they weren't over big and great on anything that bite back :yes: . what makes them different to another lurcher is there (mind-set ) they will take more punishment than any other lurchers doing what there bred for. any lurcher what ever the breeding in general will kill few foxes, its the doing it serious stuff 4-5 times a week getting bite night after night , that where the (proper) bullx lurcher come into its own :yes: . I had good big colliex grey Blaze he kill foxes no prob , but wouldn't take the stick a good bull x would I don't think . And even bit of bull in a lurcher just for rabbits a good thing, they had that more commitment to the job, drop of good bull a good thing I think, had 3 bullxs all good lurchers. got a 1x gsd x grey now and he like a bullx regards commitment to his job he give 100% on what ever you put him on, just like the bullxs did .. :thumbs:

Glad you mentioned the 70 & 80's Bird, because in that era the apbt was at it's very best, and maybe on into the really 90's, in them era's there was a lot of game tested dogs on the scene, genuine tested dogs that had been tested against others of the very same standard.

Bred to a good greyhound bitch these dogs produced the best bull x runners I've ever seen, I personally know of men who had these dogs and had the pleasure to see a few of them doing their job, 5-6 foxes a night 4-5 times a week, in that era it was easy to find foxes in them numbers.

For me the bull x of today is not a patch on the 70's 80's or early 90's, the difference between a game tested dog and a dog that has not been tested is plain to see, not totally knocking todays bull x, but I've seen many turn away and many jack due to just being sore, today i still know of some very very good bred bull x, but for every good one they will be a hell of a lot that don't even warrant being called a bull x.

For me a good foxing dog pre ban other than a bull x would have been without doubt, the Wheaton x, 5/8 3/8 would suit me down to the ground if that was my game.

Might be time to give Mick C a ring :thumbs:

• Like 6