Won't Look Down The Beam

I can't seem to get my dog to look down the beam when out lamping. You can be stood 3 feet away from the rabbit and you think he's looking at it because he's straining in that direction so I slip and he just legs it off in another direction. Unless there moving he doesn't notice them.

Along with this another thing is he always has his nose to the ground so I have to hold his head up to try and make him look. Surely this isn't normal or is it? He is shaping up to be a handy ferreting dog and along side the terriers so I'm pleased with that. I just Hope his lamping game does as well. Any help is appreciated.

I had a whippet that would not lamp same as your dog blinding ferreter. It took me along time to get him going finally did it with a kids stuffed toy rabbit with some reflective tape off an old work vest sown on to imitate eye shine just throw it 8feet in front of the dog let it see you throw it.lamp it up and just keep going.I've trains some real good lampers this way. Good luck

You could try taking it back to retrieving training. Building up on blind retrieves to you pointing the direction of it. Let the dog build up trust in you pointing it out for it. Then move on to the reflective strips/shiny eyes on a dummy at night and get it confident on you pointing it for it. Then lamp again. Sometimes best going back to basics. Atb

my dog's about 15 months and only been out on the lamp about 6 times and not long sessions either. he started off exactly as you are stating. he didn't see sitters either at first and wasnt looking down the lamp. had his nose down too . different dog now. he knows the score alright.

even heard one get up in the stubble to the side of me last time out. so i turned the lamp on to that one and he had it.

i'd persevere and pick your slips. no point slipping it on something she aint seen . walk up as close to sitters as you can. soon as the rabbit's up slip her. it'll soon get the hang of it.

Edited by robs5230

Took me 2 seasons with one of mine just be patient and keep at it and keep his head up it will come good luck

Mate this was about 20 odd years ago my we bitch was a great we worker during the day but night would hunt up in the end up no one would come out with it it would spoil the night anyway stuck by the we bitch was out 4 nights a week myself with it just took my time and after 2 season was the best we bitch I've owned on the lamp to this day don't do much lamping now but stick by your dog will turn good

Edited by nothernlite
  • Like 1

Keep your slip lead short, or a collar hold and, without causing discomfort, gently move the head toward the beam as it 'sweeps' the field. Until the penny drops.

Try not to lamp aeroplanes when first entering a field, keep your beam low!!

Forget about squatters, no matter how 'obvious' they may seem!

Direct your dog to 'moving' targets only, directing that head gently...

Let your dog 'tune in' to stuff in the beam and up and moving without a chance of a slip. Let it see moving targets, without the chance of missing, it'll 'gee' it up (don't over egg this!) and realise that the game is close to the ground...

And when it knows where it should be looking, the quarry is far from home and the dog is straining on the slip, give it a go....

With all due respect, pups usually ain't the problem, the person holding the beam usually is... Choose your specks wisely.!

:thumbs:

Tennis ball down the beam. Every time you throw it give a mild hiss . Soon learn. Taught a young bitch this way not so long ago. Will now run the length of the beam for quarry. Also enforce recall would be a good idea at the same time as the tennis ball scenario. :thumbs:

squatters no good too get a dog learning , I beg too differ , but I wont slip until it moves even if you got too toe poke it , a rabbit under a dogs nose is more inviting than one at the end of a beam ,...........

Keep your slip lead short, or a collar hold and, without causing discomfort, gently move the head toward the beam as it 'sweeps' the field. Until the penny drops.

Try not to lamp aeroplanes when first entering a field, keep your beam low!!

Forget about squatters, no matter how 'obvious' they may seem!

Direct your dog to 'moving' targets only, directing that head gently...

Let your dog 'tune in' to stuff in the beam and up and moving without a chance of a slip. Let it see moving targets, without the chance of missing, it'll 'gee' it up (don't over egg this!) and realise that the game is close to the ground...

And when it knows where it should be looking, the quarry is far from home and the dog is straining on the slip, give it a go....

With all due respect, pups usually ain't the problem, the person holding the beam usually is... Choose your specks wisely.!

:thumbs:

i never advocated walking squatters up for the dog to pick em up sitting. the dog learns quicker when it realises whats at the end of the beam. if a bunny gets up 10 ft away its gonna twig pretty quick.