Bow Hunting

I'd love to try bow hunting. It's a real shame.

The challenge of range calculating/estimation in a woods is totally different from an open field. Also from a woods into a field or from a field into a woods is very difficult. For the challenge element and skill involved, I'd love it. No doubt I'd suck at it just as much as I do with a gun. But it'd still be great to try.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There was a little bit of me that really wanted that elephant to charge and flatten that septic when he shot it with the bow.   Got to say on this occasion I disagree with born hunter, I can't sanct

Shooting the elephant with a bow is about one thing and one thing only bragging rights, like it or hate it, wether it was a cull animal or a trophy maybe even both the fact is in the eyes of this hunt

What a load of crap hunters on a hunting site saying a man needs beating for hunting in a way man has done for thousands of years there's nothing wrong with bow hunting and all these people moaning ab

Elephants don't exactly drop like a sack of spuds when shot with a high powered rifle either.

Those lads looked IMO to be within 50 or so yards of that tusker. IMO more sporting than the 200 yards that the safety a high powered scope and a land rover gives.

Bow hunting dangerous game usually involves the PH having a gun of sufficent caliber to stop it if things turn shitty.

But I still think the very act of bow hunting is just more sporting than using a gun. :thumbs:

Might not be as quick, but if the ethics of an instant kill took priority over all other aspects of the hunt there's little in the way of hunting we'd actually be doing.

• Like 1

I said I would never condemn hunting in a way that I wouldn't do myself so i'm hardly an anti. No ones emotional at all apart from you seemingly.

The elk video is a great one and really shows how effective a bow can be. The long distance shot though proves nothing to me other than the limitations of a bow. Strokes for folks but I think youd find it hard to argue that a bow is an as effective/ethical/lethal a tool than a rifle.
The point about running a deer with hounds/lurcher id make is that it is non wounding. The length of "chase" a side the dispatching would be comparable to bow hunting and your guaranteed the deer is dead or escaped un wounded. This is far from a dead cert with a rifle or bow.

Again im not condemning it at all but its just not for me.

I said I would never condemn hunting in a way that I wouldn't do myself so i'm hardly an anti. No ones emotional at all apart from you seemingly.

The elk video is a great one and really shows how effective a bow can be. The long distance shot though proves nothing to me other than the limitations of a bow. Strokes for folks but I think youd find it hard to argue that a bow is an as effective/ethical/lethal a tool than a rifle.

The point about running a deer with hounds/lurcher id make is that it is non wounding. The length of "chase" a side the dispatching would be comparable to bow hunting and your guaranteed the deer is dead or escaped un wounded. This is far from a dead cert with a rifle or bow.

Again im not condemning it at all but its just not for me.

If you're not condemning it why are you clearly commenting to me? My comments were in response to those that have had such a strong emotional response to seeing a chap shoot an elephant that they want to physically harm him.

And you aren't garunteed anything with a dog, plenty of dogs have pulled a deer out of sight and had a fight on their hands. Now unless the dog can kill the deer through its power it'll still be holding it when the owner finds it to despatch. Assuming it hasn't jacked the fight leaving a half mauled deer. That's the nature of hunting, a lot on here wouldn't condemn that but condemn hunting an elephant with a bow. A far less violent death imo!

Never mind getting onto the subject of hard terriers killing foxes...

The "my killing is better than your killing" is an ignorant and fracturing attitude.

• Like 3

I replied cause I thought the "anti fuckers" comment was aimed at me as it was just after I had posted. If it wasnt then my mistake.

The "my killing is better than your killing" is an ignorant and fracturing attitude. I agree but then many people, myself included find the religious ritual slaughter totally unnecessary.

• Like 1

I don't care how long it took to drop, but I bet that one little arrow didn't drop it lol

i was about to say "have seen the damage them broad heads do!" But then I thought about the thickness of an elephants skin and tbh it would probably smash a broad head before getting the penetration wouldn't it?

You could be right

I don't care how long it took to drop, but I bet that one little arrow didn't drop it lol

i was about to say "have seen the damage them broad heads do!" But then I thought about the thickness of an elephants skin and tbh it would probably smash a broad head before getting the penetration wouldn't it?

You could be right

I'm sure it didn't, it looked pathetic the way it hit that elephant lol........when you've been up close to an elephant & touched it, you'd be even more convinced........I'm not saying it's impossible though....

And you aren't garunteed anything with a dog, plenty of dogs have pulled a deer out of sight and had a fight on their hands. Now unless the dog can kill the deer through its power it'll still be holding it when the owner finds it to despatch. Assuming it hasn't jacked the fight leaving a half mauled deer. That's the nature of hunting, a lot on here wouldn't condemn that but condemn hunting an elephant with a bow. A far less violent death imo!

Never mind getting onto the subject of hard terriers killing foxes...

The "my killing is better than your killing" is an ignorant and fracturing attitude.

Because this prick is doing it for fun, they kill native bushmen for trying to feed their families, but a rich westerner can take one for fun :blink: As usual "money talks"

Looks like a bull in its prime, looks half f***ing tame to boot, like a lot of the bow stuff on YT tbh, shooting tame bison ffs :censored: im still saying a good kicking :thumbs:

• Like 1

All these people so heavily against elephant hunting coming out with exactly the same bigoted arguments the antis throw at us for coursing, hunting, game shooting etc etc.

Fact is, the elephant is a manageable game species and economic asset to the countries that have them. They cause huge amounts of damage but hunting gives them worth and so they are conserved and managed for that purpose. The well paying customer will get the trophy but the locals will get the meat. Without these rich pricks doing exactly what we all do, sport hunting, the Africa ecosystem would be in a worse state than it is now!

Edited by Born Hunter
  • Like 4