Bow Hunting

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There was a little bit of me that really wanted that elephant to charge and flatten that septic when he shot it with the bow.   Got to say on this occasion I disagree with born hunter, I can't sanct

Shooting the elephant with a bow is about one thing and one thing only bragging rights, like it or hate it, wether it was a cull animal or a trophy maybe even both the fact is in the eyes of this hunt

What a load of crap hunters on a hunting site saying a man needs beating for hunting in a way man has done for thousands of years there's nothing wrong with bow hunting and all these people moaning ab

Not saying it's right Accip,,,but there been plenty foxes killed with an air rifle ,,,quite a few roe as well

Yeah of course mate, but it would look pretty shite on film, especially following it about for ages, waiting for it to drop......I'd be thinking what a prick!.......just my opinion though

Edited by Accip74
  • Like 1

I agree with Bornhunter i cant see what gives one species of animal more value than another when you want it dead.......nobody likes killing for killings sake but thats a " why " question not a " how " question.........seems like a lot of high morals and principals come out when it comes to a big loveable Elephant that dont come out when its a plain ol fox/bunny etc

Understandable point mate, you just have to be honest about what's sits right with ya.....now that may have no logic but that's how it is.

To put it into prospective a bit of just what this yank was attempting to do, I once went with a mate to shoot a sheep that had been injured (many, many years ago) so we grab it and put a .22 rimfire pistol to its head.......Bang, the bullet just bounced off from point blank......we had to place the muzzle at a very precise place behind the ear to get the bullet into the brain.

Now imagine a 3oz arrow on a 5 ton elephant ??..........I don't know what sort of penetration an arrow gets once a it's had to punch through an elephants hide but I would imagine it's more luck than judgment that you will hit a vital artery or organ.

I agree with Bornhunter i cant see what gives one species of animal more value than another when you want it dead.......nobody likes killing for killings sake but thats a " why " question not a " how " question.........seems like a lot of high morals and principals come out when it comes to a big loveable Elephant that dont come out when its a plain ol fox/bunny etc

That's very true Gnash, your dead right.

Funny though ain't it, I couldn't even bring myself to watch that clip, sommat inside says leave it... Maybe I'm just getting soft in my old age... :huh:

And born mate, there is no comparison between high velocity ammunition and an arrow......none at all.

Darcy will tell you, stalking the other year and he had a few and they went down like nine pins with a .223......not a single runner, that would not have happened with an arrow.

And born mate, there is no comparison between high velocity ammunition and an arrow......none at all.

Darcy will tell you, stalking the other year and he had a few and they went down like nine pins with a .223......not a single runner, that would not have happened with an arrow.

I know that mate. lol. An arrow kills like a knife, severing soft tissue in a an area of the body that has a high density of blood vessels (primarily the heart/lungs), the animal bleeds out and looses consciousness when it has a critical drop in blood pressure. Following the blood trail is as an important skill as being able to pinwheel the fecker.

A high velocity bullet, like an 85gr 25-06 (the only deer cal I have experience with), has the much debated hydrostatic knock down. It kills the same way really with a critical drop in blood pressure but the animal isn't usually as physically able due to the massive initial trauma/shock. They might still run a bit but the damage is gretaer so death more swift...

But as I've said before, if an instant death was an absolute necessity to me, I'd pack up the majority of my hunting because I can't garuntee it. I don't want to cause suffering, I hate seeing suffering, I hate the attitude of "let the dog work it's quarry", no bollocks "let's end things swiftly" BUT the value in the method of hunting sometimes outweighs the value of an instant death in another method. We all make that decision and accept it. Dogs may take a little while to kill their quarry, a shotgun has an inherent chance of wounding due to the nature of the pellet pattern, a ferret will chew the arse out of a holed up rabbit untill it can get to its head and crunch through it's throat/neck/scull. We accept these facts as part of the hunt....

Understandable point mate, you just have to be honest about what's sits right with ya.....now that may have no logic but that's how it is.

To put it into prospective a bit of just what this yank was attempting to do, I once went with a mate to shoot a sheep that had been injured (many, many years ago) so we grab it and put a .22 rimfire pistol to its head.......Bang, the bullet just bounced off from point blank......we had to place the muzzle at a very precise place behind the ear to get the bullet into the brain.

Now imagine a 3oz arrow on a 5 ton elephant ??..........I don't know what sort of penetration an arrow gets once a it's had to punch through an elephants hide but I would imagine it's more luck than judgment that you will hit a vital artery or organ.

I totally understand the humane aspect of killing and would like to think any normal person wherever possible would pay attention to it.............i just think if you are overly protective about hurting an animal then maybe killing them is not for you !.............If we get too wrapped up in an instant dispatch of any hunted animal where do we draw the line in terms of technology ? in that case should we really be allowing a dog to catch and kill anything anymore ?

• Like 1

The dog thing to me is a completely different subject ...,its nature versus nature ... The same as the video showing a pride of lions pulling down an elephant and killing it ... Its nature it's what happens and prey species and predator have been going on since time began ... I haven't got a problem with hunting any animal but FFS let's use the tool for the job and doing quickly and as professionally as you can ... Pre ban you wouldn't run a fallow with a whippet or two or three of them you would use a dog big and strong enough for the job ... If you were going to stab someone you wouldn't use a toothpick ... It's the same for that elephant use a tool big enough for the job ... Even if you look at the other side of things and that fella wanted the bragging rights to say he done an elephant with a bow then fine ... Once he had taken the shot and had hit his target and knew the elephant was done for why not let one of the rangers put a bullet in its head to finish the job quickly ... For me its not the hunting or the species or how you hunt it its about respect for your quarry and if it has to die at least afford it the quickest death possible ..........

Man will always have the desire to test himself......and to test the animals he owns/breeds..............we can skim over that with morals and principals all we like.......but it still remains and the proof is there for all to see.

Edited by gnasher16

That's very true Gnash, your dead right.

Funny though ain't it, I couldn't even bring myself to watch that clip, sommat inside says leave it... Maybe I'm just getting soft in my old age... :huh:

I watched it twice does that make me a callous orriible c**t :D ......everyones different mate,animals in pain aint nice but i,ll suffer it.....kids i dont even want to read about it....even on here some of the debates about paedophiles i cant even bring myself to read them !

Edited by gnasher16

There was a little bit of me that really wanted that elephant to charge and flatten that septic when he shot it with the bow.

Got to say on this occasion I disagree with born hunter, I can't sanction in my tiny brain why anyone would want to shoot at an elephant with a bow and arrow!!??

But then again, I can't get my head round the whole "trophy" thing anyway!

It comes down to everyone's personal code and I am afraid just "hurting things" for fun don't sit right with me, if your going to kill something then kill it !!

Don't make my killing any better than his killing I just couldn't bring myself to do away with such a magnificent example of gods creation unless there was a good reason (like it was injured and suffering or posed a direct danger to life) and I certainly wouldn't attempt it with an arrow.

It's like trying to kill a human with a 4" nail !!

Funny, but I wouldn't have a problem with a couple of sporting match dogs doing what they were bred for or game chickens but for a sentient creature like a human to make the choice to kill beasts like elephants and lions, then to use something like a bow to do it just don't sit well with me.

That's fine Wilf, I wouldn't want to kill an elephant with a 500 nitro never mind a bow. We all have our own personal hunting dos and don'ts. My gripe is with those that would judge the man in question exactly the same way the antis judge us. It's hypocrasy! I'm sure he didn't go out to 'hurt something' anymore than you would if you went out to run a deer or dig a fox.... but there is suffering involved to the quarry in both. And both you are likely doing for your own enjoyment, even if you are providing a service to the landowner or sticking some venison in the freezer. But that's alright because.......?

I see hares as pretty magnificent creatures myself, I dislike even seeing a dog kill one deep down. But not personally feeling okay with something and actually dissagreeing with it from an ethical standpoint are different and you had better be stood on very sound ethical ground to do so. If we start playing the "that's a magnificent creature so shouldn't be hunted" we're on a rocky road.

I can see the "why is it ok to kill one animal, but not another" argument, a life's a life at the end of the day, but i just can't get my head round wanting to kill an Elephant? I would like to ask this bloke what he thought about the Japs harpooning Whales, pound to a penny he disagrees with it? Most people have a limit of some sort, not all, but they usually make the papers eh.

I can see the "why is it ok to kill one animal, but not another" argument, a life's a life at the end of the day, but i just can't get my head round wanting to kill an Elephant? I would like to ask this bloke what he thought about the Japs harpooning Whales, pound to a penny he disagrees with it? Most people have a limit of some sort, not all, but they usually make the papers eh.

Well that's fine, but half the British public can't get their heads round why we would want to set a terrier on a fox or a lurcher on bambi. Different hunts make different folks tick. The only thing I took exception to in this whole thread is people thinking it's right to beat the chap for his personal choice of hunting.

You may think he'd be against whaling but if he's owt like me he wouldn't be. LOL. In terms of ethical kill, whaling is even more righteous as I believe these days the developed countries that partake in the activity (Japan and norway) use explosive harpoons. But that's another thread...

Edited by Born Hunter
  • Like 1

Well that's fine, but half the British public can't get their heads round why we would want to set a terrier on a fox or a lurcher on bambi. Different hunts make different folks tick. The only thing I took exception to in this whole thread is people thinking it's right to beat the chap for his personal choice of hunting.

You may think he'd be against whaling but if he's owt like me he wouldn't be. LOL. In terms of ethical kill, whaling is even more righteous as I believe these days the developed countries that partake in the activity (Japan and norway) use explosive harpoons. But that's another thread...

Most of the British public never turned up at a farm and see hundreds of chickens lying dead when a fox has paid a visit, or they might grasp it? Deer and fawns get taken by wolf/fox naturally, the only difference with a lurcher is man's involvement, if they go down the "its cruel to use a dog on deer" route, then surely they would have to be in favour of killing all wolves and foxes? or is it less cruel or ethical if it happens in nature without man's involvement? Its a stupid argument imo, it can only come about because people generally regard humans as being "above animals" when in fact we are just one animal using another animal to get food. How many anti's wear leather shoes, or nip into McDonalds and eat factory farmed beef or chicken lmfao, f**k the antis. Funny how you don't mind killing whales, Elephants and get all emotional about giving someone a bit of a kicking lol, like i said earlier we all have different thoughts on what's "just" or ethical, the fact you don't like it don't make you right, the fact that i don't agree with killing whales or Elephants don't make me right, simple. But we both have a right to our views.

You don't need to convince me of the rights and wrongs of hunting. Why do people think that just because they can justify it in their own heads that every other human would see that justification if they just had it explained to them? That's a bit too much like fundamentalism! That attitude can very easily be applied against what hunting sports you and I love so it makes no sense to me to be a follower of the same ignorant attitude. Far better to be accepting of others even if it's not for me.

Edited by Born Hunter
  • Like 1