Metal Detecting Finds...

found 3 silver hammered 1600 ish, half a bucket of pre decimal coppers (upto 250 years old plus) handful of pre decimal silver, 13 century skillet handle, buckets full of musket and mini balls.

once had a handful of coins from 1700ish, silver and copper all wrapped up in a red checked hanky, funnily enough you could just about see the red check in the old frayed hanky! i'll get a pic when I get a min.

just got permission to look over a field next to one of the oldest pubs in england, if I dont find anything there i'm giving up and selling the detector......iv had a few nice finds but worth feck all and iv put some SERIOUS HOURS IN!

i know what you mean, iv met a few people saying exactly the same, iv put god knows how many hours in,and not found what i was atleast expecting, maybe its been hit before or im in the wrong area, but unless you do your reasearch properly, your just shoveling dirt about !

When you say research what do you mean mate? What sort of things are you researching or looking out for?

I've always fancied having a go but was afraid of how much time it would soak up when I've already got a few hour intensive hobbies!

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

my first day out I had 20 digs found feck all so throw the fecking thing in headge bottom , when my mate came to see if I found out I told him its sh,it this detecting lark, why he said i will fecking

a cannonball lol. dunno how old this is ..wouldnt like to have been hit up the gub with it.

i havent been into it that long myself, but look at old maps maybe tyth maps and ordenance survey maps plus google-road-satalite ect... and look for old manors/mansions then compare them to maps nowa

Posted Images

found 3 silver hammered 1600 ish, half a bucket of pre decimal coppers (upto 250 years old plus) handful of pre decimal silver, 13 century skillet handle, buckets full of musket and mini balls.

once had a handful of coins from 1700ish, silver and copper all wrapped up in a red checked hanky, funnily enough you could just about see the red check in the old frayed hanky! i'll get a pic when I get a min.

just got permission to look over a field next to one of the oldest pubs in england, if I dont find anything there i'm giving up and selling the detector......iv had a few nice finds but worth feck all and iv put some SERIOUS HOURS IN!

i know what you mean, iv met a few people saying exactly the same, iv put god knows how many hours in,and not found what i was atleast expecting, maybe its been hit before or im in the wrong area, but unless you do your reasearch properly, your just shoveling dirt about !

When you say research what do you mean mate? What sort of things are you researching or looking out for?

I've always fancied having a go but was afraid of how much time it would soak up when I've already got a few hour intensive hobbies!

i havent been into it that long myself, but look at old maps maybe tyth maps and ordenance survey maps plus google-road-satalite ect... and look for old manors/mansions then compare them to maps nowa days ,you'l see where they used to be,even newer mansions thats only been there for the past 5o-1oo years, as normally good things above ground,means possibly good things below ground.. ect,..... also theres old battle sites you could look out for, roman sites, saxon + viking sites where battles may of taken place, civil war era aswel.. or if you just fancy going for a quick swing around your local area down the park or somthing, at bottom of bankings where people may have sledded in the snow, or around ice cream van area's,that sort of thing. alot is to do with luck aswel i think, :thumbs:

• Like 2

took my xp goldmaxx power out for its first outing last week and found a gold ring. its yet to be confirmed but I think its roman and worth a fair few quid.

ive also found a 8 reales and a roman coin weight.

still waiting for are local finds leason officer to get back to me about the ring im still buzzing. :toast:

took my xp goldmaxx power out for its first outing last week and found a gold ring. its yet to be confirmed but I think its roman and worth a fair few quid.

ive also found a 8 reales and a roman coin weight.

still waiting for are local finds leason officer to get back to me about the ring im still buzzing. :toast:

fair play,..welldone mate, i bet your really chuffed :boogy: i found a few pieces of silver plus a gold cufflink a couple months ago, but nothing as good as that yet, you jammy git :laugh: a new mate has just lent me 5 roman books,info and coins ect, plus 2o treasure hunting magazines from the early 8o's to 2oo2 loads more info in those compared to the magazines these days, as these days i think they expect you to know everything already, including how to research properly ect, theyv given me loads of new ideas of research :yes:

I took the ring to torquay museum yesterday and he thinks its medieval Not the roman I wanted but still a really nice find. . ive tried my hardest to put a picture up but keep failing. :thumbs:

photo bucket, make the picture alot smaller...then you should be able to get it up :thumbs:

I took the ring to torquay museum yesterday and he thinks its medieval Not the roman I wanted but still a really nice find. . ive tried my hardest to put a picture up but keep failing. :thumbs:

That's great 8shot i bet your made up! Id love a go at this.

loads of good sites round me could be worth having a go. I had metal detector it done my head in digging up beer cans

where's that? The sites?

donegore hill, an any the land between it an antrim, there a dig round finleys fort at the min

loads of good sites round me could be worth having a go. I had metal detector it done my head in digging up beer cans

where's that? The sites?

donegore hill, an any the land between it an antrim, there a dig round finleys fort at the min
whats the laws on finds, like Saxon hoards? Viking ? Roman? Is it finders keepers or is it the land owners?