• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Everybody is wired differently and some peopleecan cope with things far better than others ... troops on the front line are under massive stress ... you dont know if your next step will be your last t

post traumatic stress disorder is exactly what it says. it is real and folk do need help to control it. it beggers belief how many folk are so judgemental. its not just a soldiers illness it is brough

You can do as much real to life training as you want , until you do it for real and see these things no one knows how each person will act / react or the long term effects on them

Its all a bit " old thinking " i know but i cant help wondering is this just one of these new found " victim " illnesses we hear more and more about these days,im sure its all very unpleasant but i dont remember hearing our gr fathers and fathers coming out with all this after wars or traumatic experiences.....similar with these new kids illnessess adhd do they call it.....we just got called naughty little c**ts yet now a parent can claim benefits and get cars off the government for it :icon_eek:

• Like 4

Its all a bit " old thinking " i know but i cant help wondering is this just one of these new found " victim " illnesses we hear more and more about these days,im sure its all very unpleasant but i dont remember hearing our gr fathers and fathers coming out with all this after wars or traumatic experiences.....similar with these new kids illnessess adhd do they call it.....we just got called naughty little c**ts yet now a parent can claim benefits and get cars off the government for it :icon_eek:

You never heard of Shell shock? The Falklands and Vietnam wars suffered just as much, largely unrecognised.

Also I believe that the felt intensity of modern conflicts is considered greater than historical ones. To simplify that statement, Durring WWI and WWII the actual fighting was usually short lived and so the high levels of stress less impacting. In modern conflicts infantrymen in particular are in high stress life and death situations day to day. Even the relitive safety of forward bases suffering mortar attacks daily in some cases. Having a 100% professional military these days we expect more of them and push them harder and as a consiquence see an increase in mental illness.

• Like 6

A quick look reveals that in the 1st world war, the average infantryman could expect to spend on average 4 months in front line trenches, combining their individual stints.......plus the awful conditions we know they often had to bare, If you also add that those poor soldiers would of been no where near as fit or mentally prepared as today's soldiers might be, Would it not of been comparable with today's stress levels experienced in combat?

• Like 1

A quick look reveals that in the 1st world war, the average infantryman could expect to spend on average 4 months in front line trenches, combining their individual stints.......plus the awful conditions we know they often had to bare, If you also add that those poor soldiers would of been no where near as fit or mentally prepared as today's soldiers might be, Would it not of been comparable with today's stress levels experienced in combat?

Front-line trenches could be a terribly hostile place to live. Units, often wet, cold and exposed to the enemy, would quickly lose their morale if they spent too much time in the trenches.

As a result, the British army rotated men in and out continuously. Between battles, a unit spent perhaps 10 days a month in the trench system and, of those, rarely more than three days right up on the front line. It was not unusual to be out of the line for a month.

During moments of crisis, such as big offensives, the British could occasionally spend up to seven days on the front line but were far more often rotated out after just a day or two.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-25776836

I guess we've just googled conflicting info then, mine said 4months out of the year, broken by rotation.......anyway, I'm sure you'll agree that today's soldiers are physically fitter & better mentally prepared for war, than those yesteryear....

I personally knew three lads that topped themselves after getting out and two of them seemed perfectly fine ... You never know what's going on in a mans head .... Lots of soldiers did the same in the first and second world wars but were classed as cowards or deserters ........

• Like 3

You never heard of Shell shock? The Falklands and Vietnam wars suffered just as much, largely unrecognised.

Also I believe that the felt intensity of modern conflicts is considered greater than historical ones. To simplify that statement, Durring WWI and WWII the actual fighting was usually short lived and so the high levels of stress less impacting. In modern conflicts infantrymen in particular are in high stress life and death situations day to day. Even the relitive safety of forward bases suffering mortar attacks daily in some cases. Having a 100% professional military these days we expect more of them and push them harder and as a consiquence see an increase in mental illness.

Is ptsd an illness reserved especially for soldiers then ?.....if its a mental illness suffered by humans then surely every human has their different limits what might be unnacceptable for one wont be for another.......................just seems to me todays society loves a victim !

I guess we've just googled conflicting info then, mine said 4months out of the year, broken by rotation.......anyway, I'm sure you'll agree that today's soldiers are physically fitter & better mentally prepared for war, than those yesteryear....

Yeah, they're professional career soldiers who are trained by methods developed over hundreds of years of conflict. But the wars have changed too....

Is ptsd an illness reserved especially for soldiers then ?.....if its a mental illness suffered by humans then surely every human has their different limits what might be unnacceptable for one wont be for another.......................just seems to me todays society loves a victim !

No, of course it's not exclusive to soldiers, I was just giving a well known example. PTSD has always been recognised(Shell shock, Battle fatigue etc etc), just not understood and historically not accepted because of this.

Yeah, todays society does love a victim, but lets not let that feeling cause the genuinely ill to be neglected and labeled as chancers.

Yeah, they're professional career soldiers who are trained by methods developed over hundreds of years of conflict. But the wars have changed too....

One thing is for sure, it should never be taken for granted the mental stress these lads have been under, regardless of the era or conflict....

• Like 2

No, of course it's not exclusive to soldiers, I was just giving a well known example. PTSD has always been recognised(Shell shock, Battle fatigue etc etc), just not understood and historically not accepted because of this.

Yeah, todays society does love a victim, but lets not let that feeling cause the genuinely ill to be neglected and labeled as chancers.

And how do you tell the difference ? ......likewise with all these other new found illnesses what have we got now.... add,adhd,ptsd and whatever other psycho therapeutic social anxieties medicating 6 year old kids up to the eyeballs rather than say this kids a naughty f****r and this blokes a bit of a f**k up !.....Everyone seems to have their hand out seeing what they can get without doing anything for it and here we are giving out legitimate excuses...............call me old fashioned but its no surprise to me our society is rotting from the inside out you only need to switch the tv its a competition these days to see who can cry the most and be the biggest victim.

• Like 2