Short Couppled???

If its long in the back it needs to be flexible because it has more body to move. A shorter backed dog can turn a ninety degree angle in a pipe quicker and easier than a long back. A shorter back can manouvre quicker and easier in a tight space ie oven, because its feet are in contact with the ground more often. Its the diffrence between a mini and a coach.. Big lorries need to be articulated to manovre round a tight corner but a short vehicle does not, thats why I say if a dog has a long back it needs to be flexible where a shorter backed one doesnt.. I dont think extremes of either are good but a good balance is best I suppose, but i would choose a shorter back all else being equal..

• Like 2

For fox work flexibility may be needed, but surely in the old days of badger work, you'd want a terrier to be short, stocky and well built to deal with a similar shaped quarry?

I would say a terrier with heart and staying ability would have been order of the day,did'nt really matter how they looked

• Like 1

For fox work flexibility may be needed, but surely in the old days of badger work, you'd want a terrier to be short, stocky and well built to deal with a similar shaped quarry?

I would say a terrier with heart and staying ability would have been order of the day,did'nt really matter how they looked
why short?

Must say the teckel has a good physical shape for badger digging, one with heart to match is what ive only seen a few times so far.

Do they get used much in France now for digging? Or are they few & far between?

Guest alcapone

Rabbits,foxes,badgers,moles or anything else that lives under ground and has for hundreds of yeaes and their body shape adapts for this,they are all a touch long in the back so when pursueing these animals surely it makes sense to have a touch of length in the back be it dog or ferret,surely thats common sense is it not?

• Like 3