Trap Shy Mole

Got a job on with 2 adjoining gardens with the moles working both sides,the mole isn't overly active, one side has been having a go at trapping themselves. I have had traps down for the last week and have had 3 traps sprung but no capture! Traps are talpex, scissor and barrel, I have plenty experience catching moles over the years but rarely get any issues with filled traps! Any suggestions?

ive seen them go deeper and set it off with the new soil being pushed up and ive seen them TRY and go deeper and get hit with the jaws but not caught and i think the shock kills them so when the traps pulled out its empty but a lil feel in the soil and he is in their dead...happens on new drillings..had it about 3-4 times

• Like 3

ive seen them go deeper and set it off with the new soil being pushed up and ive seen them TRY and go deeper and get hit with the jaws but not caught and i think the shock kills them so when the traps pulled out its empty but a lil feel in the soil and he is in their dead...happens on new drillings..had it about 3-4 times

You are spot on there fellah... :yes:

Edited by Phil Lloyd

Go along the lawn on your knees and collapse his run's, give it a day and you will see where he has pushed them back up,stick your talpex in there, he won't be too bothered to find a collapsed area ,when he comes to it again, and will just go ahead and start clearing the run,as said above its very rare for a talpex to trigger and not catch,but it does happen,depends on how you back fill them sometimes, as in how well the soil naturally settles and compacts itself in the trap bottom, and how much soil the mole is pushing forward as it moves along its run,if its pushing a lot of soil the trap may trigger before the mole get's to the end of its tube, at least like this you will know the run prior to the trap is clean, if you are care full not to walk along it and collapse it again,as you select your new trap site,ask the client to keep the garden quiet don't let the kids run riot in it, till you have caught it,good luck this works for me and may not for everyone,I am not a professional but there are people on here who are, and they are probably better people to advise you.

It's only one mole by the amount of activity, very few fresh hills being pushed up. The talpex was set off 3 days after being set and it may well be the bugger went deeper and sprung it. The homeowner next door has had a go herself which may well have educated him somewhat! I always avoid stepping on runs etc where possible, the soil is rubbed through gloved hands as it goes back in the tunnel so it's quite fine not lumpy. I've had the odd one killed next to the trap in the past hopefully this is the case here and no more activity is found on my next visit ! Definitely nothing else setting them off, rabbits digging on the lawn wouldn't be tolerated by these kind of folks!

I had a bit of this with a talpex couple of weeks ago, the mole had dug underneath the trap (as said above) so I cleared out the trap site and reset in the new lower tunnel and was caught the next day. Good luck hope you catch, a tricky mole can drive you mad :icon_eek: