Is There Something Wrong With This Dog?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Plenty Jagd hunting US members on the board you could contact... Gameness as in pit bull gameness and grit in a working/hunting dog is something different imho, but lets not go there.

no mate honest if i see the cur in a dog i just wave a dildo at them they go up a gear

the baby raccoon in the video is slow and was most likely dumped from sitting in a live trap for a few days...thats not how slow raccoons normally act !

I agree with most of what's been said....can't disagree ...but just to put a different spin on things, my mate didn't start to work a Russell bitch until she was 2 years old.....previously just kept as a pet by his wife, the first squirrel it was shown it just ran along side baying, refusing to make contact, however it went on to become a very reliable, but completely mute fox dog.......retired now...

You never know, maybe all is not lost.....

• Like 1

Here's the only video I could find on YouTube with a Decker Terrier doing anything worth mentioning

I don't know about you guys, but I'm not too impressed. Of course, I'm a rather harsh judge when it comes to dogs and gameness because I'm used to working with pit bulls. Most game bred pit bulls that are considered "curs" in the pit dog world are actually much gamer than a quality working terrier. So it's not fair at all to try to compare the two.

Now see, that is maybe where the pits clouded your judgement,the dog walked round sized it up ,then grabbed it ,I wouldn't want a dog just steaming in,it's not going to have a long working career is it. My only issue was dog didn't quite finish the coon off,but then they are tough b*****ds are they not.
  • Like 1

Here's the only video I could find on YouTube with a Decker Terrier doing anything worth mentioning

I don't know about you guys, but I'm not too impressed. Of course, I'm a rather harsh judge when it comes to dogs and gameness because I'm used to working with pit bulls. Most game bred pit bulls that are considered "curs" in the pit dog world are actually much gamer than a quality working terrier. So it's not fair at all to try to compare the two.

Now see, that is maybe where the pits clouded your judgement,the dog walked round sized it up ,then grabbed it ,I wouldn't want a dog just steaming in,it's not going to have a long working career is it. My only issue was dog didn't quite finish the coon off,but then they are tough b*****ds are they not.

Yeah, like I said, I don't trust my judgment on gameness with other dogs, as the pit bull version of gameness is not really fair to compare to other breeds. A game pit bull will rush a grizzly bear and get killed, and that's not exactly the level of gameness that you want in an earth dog. It's just too much.

Nah, that 'thing' wouldn't be for me, your average mongrel cur would do that, showing a dog killing something in that way proves nothing IMO.

Damn shame a kid was sold a 'pig in a poke'!

To me, reading and watching your clip, that 'thing' was started too early and maybe in the wrong way but you really ain't elaborated on how it was started?

All that hand catching and chucking one to the pup, nope, shite way of starting IMO.

First off, stop piss balling with made up excuses for working terriers and get yourself one of the tried and tested working breeds, Patterdale, Lakeland, Jack Russell or cross twixt these and always from well worked parents, even over your side, they exist....

Easiest way of entering, be patient. Let a puppy be a puppy and at around 9 to 10 months, let it hunt rats alongside other seasoned ratters, betcha it's keen as shit and will take any stick a good rat will throw at it, few months of this, then squirrels after 12 months and that dog should hit a rhino by 14 months and if any of these time scales seem a bit out with the dog, revert back to patience and give it more time....

Nah, that 'thing' wouldn't be for me, your average mongrel cur would do that, showing a dog killing something in that way proves nothing IMO.

Damn shame a kid was sold a 'pig in a poke'!

To me, reading and watching your clip, that 'thing' was started too early and maybe in the wrong way but you really ain't elaborated on how it was started?

All that hand catching and chucking one to the pup, nope, shite way of starting IMO.

First off, stop piss balling with made up excuses for working terriers and get yourself one of the tried and tested working breeds, Patterdale, Lakeland, Jack Russell or cross twixt these and always from well worked parents, even over your side, they exist....

Easiest way of entering, be patient. Let a puppy be a puppy and at around 9 to 10 months, let it hunt rats alongside other seasoned ratters, betcha it's keen as shit and will take any stick a good rat will throw at it, few months of this, then squirrels after 12 months and that dog should hit a rhino by 14 months and if any of these time scales seem a bit out with the dog, revert back to patience and give it more time....

Cade, if you're reading this take notes. This sounds to me like the best advice I've heard yet on how to raise a hunting dog!

My opinion with young animals is it's better to be too careful and start them a little too late then it is to be overly harsh and destroy the animal's confidence by giving them too much too early. Either way, I think this dog's a cur, and Cade and I (Cade is the boy who owns the dog) talked about it tonight, and I'm going to make some calls and see if we can get him a better dog. I know a guy down south who has connections with guys who hunt nutria with terriers. He might even be able to get us a fighting bred pit bull/working terrier cross ;)

Just curious, how small does a terrier need to be to work underground? What are some good weights for an earth dog? Is it the smaller the better, or does the optimum weight depend on what kinds of animals the terrier is going to ground for?

There will be various opinions on this.......but ideally no bigger than 14'' to the shoulder & 15-20 pounds, but there will be some good examples well below & above that average mate......

Edited by Accip74
  • Like 1

If the terrier is bred and wanted eventually to hunt coons then that's what you do.

Hold it back and in time enter it to coons.

Rats IMO are not a part of entering working terriers. They're just something to be controlled and if terriers are the method of control so be it.

Lads think the old way of show them a young rat, then an adult rat, then a cub and then an adult fox is how you enter a terrier to fox.

If you were a trainer and were training a potential World Champion boxer would you start him off sparring with young lads, no you'd train him and build him up for proper fights.

Terriers are the same. Getting them used to the couples and travelling in the vehicle in my opinion is more important than to have a load of rats under their belt if their eventually role is to work underground like a proper terrier should.

There's loads of curs that will slay rats but not do what a terrier should.

My old dog Spike went to ground on a walk one day at 7 months old and I had to get a shovel and dig to him with a vixen.

At 9 months old he wouldn't kill a rat. He had no interest and felt they were no threat and not worth the effort.

I have a bitch here now that when she catches a rat she just cripples it and walks away. She never bothers to kill them.

Underground she's silent and hard in her work. She knows a challenge when she's sees it.

Edited by neil cooney

The problem now days is so many people rush dogs ( myself included ) sometimes with out realising, and everything is so disposal now days , I train Labradors for field trails and I go throught slot of dogs to find a good 1 but when I sell the they are generally to people who can spend the time with them but for me I train for a job and if they show signs that they will not make anything by the time they are 14 months old I sell them to a shooting home, but I see it like kids reading 10 books sine night get stuck on book 3 and some might fly through to book 7 everyone is different and will prob all make the grade but it depends on the time scale how long u are willing to wait before you call it a day

Sorry to ramble

Atb

If the terrier is bred and wanted eventually to hunt coons then that's what you do.

Hold it back and in time enter it to coons.

Rats IMO are not a part of entering working terriers. They're just something to be controlled and if terriers are the method of control so be it.

Lads think the old way of show them a young rat, then an adult rat, then a cub and then an adult fox is how you enter a terrier to fox.

If you were a trainer and were training a potential World Champion boxer would you start him off sparring with young lads, no you'd train him and build him up for proper fights.

Terriers are the same. Getting them used to the couples and travelling in the vehicle in my opinion is more important than to have a load of rats under their belt if their eventually role is to work underground like a proper terrier should.

There's loads of curs that will slay rats but not do what a terrier should.

My old dog Spike went to ground on a walk one day at 7 months old and I had to get a shovel and dig to him with a vixen.

At 9 months old he wouldn't kill a rat. He had no interest and felt they were no threat and not worth the effort.

I have a bitch here now that when she catches a rat she just cripples it and walks away. She never bothers to kill them.

Underground she's silent and hard in her work. She knows a challenge when she's sees it.

funny you say that neil, my boy likes the fight, when he was only starting off and the fox was say up tight ass out to him he would only stay a few mins and come out with fur in his teeth, it took the fox to move and face him, he soon clicked, but stil loves the head end. all dogs start different

I don't know about you guys, but I'm not too impressed. Of course, I'm a rather harsh judge when it comes to dogs and gameness because I'm used to working with pit bulls. Most game bred pit bulls that are considered "curs" in the pit dog world are actually much gamer than a quality working terrier. So it's not fair at all to try to compare the two.[/quote

Cant agree with this statement

• Like 1