Choice Of Dog

Putting this in the general section as its not working dog related.......ive been checking in on an old boy for years now,his wife passed away a couple of years ago and we,ve discussed getting him a dog as a companion/pal type of thing......he,s still nice and active so the dog will be well exercised.....would need to be a small smooth coated dog,he,s seen a little Patterdale regularly walks past his place he really likes but i dont fancy the idea of putting a working breed into a home where it wont get worked......what would be your thoughts ?....

I wondered about taking him round the dog homes and letting him take his pick but how does it work adopting a dog when you are lets say " short on years ahead " are they likely to refuse him because he,s going to die soon ???

Edited by gnasher16
  • Like 1

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The old boy ended up with a nice little 3 year old Jack Russell,settling in well and getting his feet under the table already ........both dog and owner seem made for each other so turned out nice in

Yep rescue centre and an older dog that is happy to go for a walk but is just as happy curled up next to him on the couch .......

Does it have to be a small dog ? Retired greyhounds make brilliant pets ... They will happily sleep all day so are no problems but are also always ready for a walk .......

Posted Images

Most rescues will let an old person adopt an old dog, providing that the person is capable of looking after it, obviously. There are many older dogs looking for homes and most get passed over as people don't want the hassle, or the grief of bonding with an old dog for only a few years before it dies.

• Like 2

He,s a healthy old boy who still gets about but at 82 you have to be sensible about it......just a bit of company down to the paper shop and a reason to get over the park of an aftenoon............he,s proper old school.... wouldnt dare admit he,s lonely but i know he,d love to have a little dog to cuddle up to in front of the telly.

Your right Walshie a pup would be too much......but on the other hand he just needs motivation to get out,once he,s out theres no stopping him so a dog thats too old might hold him back believe it or not...............maybe its just a case of walking him round the rescues and letting them choose each other so to speak.

• Like 3

Does it have to be a small dog ? Retired greyhounds make brilliant pets ... They will happily sleep all day so are no problems but are also always ready for a walk .......

• Like 4

Take him round the rescues they'll sit down with him and discuss his what sort of dog would fit with him. Personally I'd say an older laid back Staffie type could be perfect, if it wasn't too strong for him.

He wouldnt like a big dog he strokes this little Patterdale that walks by his place and his minds set on a small Terrier type i think......i reckon he likes the idea of sticking the dog under his arm and walk in for a pint and a game of domino,s myself :D ....cheers for the kind words chaps he,s a nice ol boy given me years of great advice and stories he just seemed to lose his way when his wife went which i know is common but just have to do our bit i suppose...........a walk round the rescues i think it is then :thumbs: