Putting Up With A Average Lurcher...

how many people out there are happy to put up with an average lurcher? by this I mean a dog that does not quite hit your standards in expectation. a dog that puts a bit of game away but is just lacking something. I have never been one for having loads of lurchers 2 at the most! I have a pup and a 2 year old bitch. the bitch is what I would describe as average at best at the moment but she shows more promise than other dogs I have owned and if I am honest it makes my blood boil. she has what is needed to make a very good dog yet I find myself laughing out loud on the lamp at her piss poor performances. then she will do something that makes you stand there and think how the f**k did she catch that. but a few good catches don't make up for the easy ones that should end up in the bag. I have decided to give her a season of graft and see how things improve from there and this will decide what happens to the bitch. my question is how many people are happy to put up with an average lurcher until something better comes along. I no people who go through dogs like theres no tomorrow, its not my cup of tea just wondering what your views are on it?? cheers and all the best...

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Life is far too short, to base your happiness on the performance of a poxy dog...

I think that you are right there Trenchfoot..   Unfortunately, some folk don't quite get it,...they get a wee bit confused.com.

It depends on the owner. If they want an average dog, so be it. If they want a top class dog they will keep trying until they get it. BUT !! Many owners will NEVER have a good dog, because THEY are no

IMO dogs are what you make of them. I've never got rid of a dog and I'm not interested in them being world beaters as long as they are doing their best. I have tried to be very flexible and patient, even if sometimes I find myself questioning my sanity. If the dog excels at one task but not at others I will tailor my hunting to suit but will keep trying to encourage the dog in the direction I initially wanted it to go.

This probably means I will never have a world beating dog but I don't care. I get massive satisfaction when it all comes together, assuming it ever does, especially when its taken time and perseverance. Obviously it would be great if every dog was perfect from the outset but so far that has never happened to me! I reckon a lot of dogs get moved on that just need a bit more time but that is obviously the personal choice of each owner.

• Like 9

I have to disagree Tyla. I cannot tailor what I want from my hunting to suit the dog. I don't expect the mut to be perfect shes young and inexperienced but I expect her to uphold some sort of consistency in her work. not just her but in all my dogs. I aint after a world beater and its a bloody good job lol. don't get me wrong Paulus its fun getting there but also makes my blood boil when you can see a dog has more to offer...

I have to disagree Tyla. I cannot tailor what I want from my hunting to suit the dog. I don't expect the mut to be perfect shes young and inexperienced but I expect her to uphold some sort of consistency in her work. not just her but in all my dogs. I aint after a world beater and its a bloody good job lol. don't get me wrong Paulus its fun getting there but also makes my blood boil when you can see a dog has more to offer...

not many dogs are clever enough to hold back deliberately, repetition is the key to most dog training, the hardest part is getting the dog to understand the difference to what you see as good and bad as the dog will probably see both the same lol

To be totally honest I could only call a dog average after I have given 100% in conditioning and you know your dog is in grand fettle,and if you don't ask to much of it, Then if it only gives half hearted attempts and not committed to the job in hand. A dog has got to be a tryer for me.

It's horses for courses depending on what cross you keep.

Are your expectations far greater than your bitches ability. Even good dogs miss.

I can personally put up with an average lurcher if its showing some signs of improvement or promise. I will use my dog for an example shes 100% committed but even if shes giving 100% all the time and not making the grade is it fair to keep her around knowing I will never really be happy with how the dogs preforming? when you have a dog on the slip and your quarry in the beam do you really want the doubt in the back of your head?? time will be the test of this over the coming season...

can we not turn this into a slagging match. if your happy keeping something that's average then hats off to you. they cant all be world beaters and I know that that's why I said I happy to keep a average dog that shows promise or improvement.

Edited by GIBB0