Best Magazine

I have been reading anglers mail, shooting times , and the country man's weekly for a long time off and on. I keep reading comments on earth dog running dog but have never seen it for sale. My question is what is the best magazine for someone who loves being outdoors fishing, shooting, with the dogs.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Marty g send me your address and I put a copy of EDRD in the post for you? It's a cracking read mate some good articles in it?

Dont bother with the fishing magazines, there sales brochures, with the odd sponsored article

expensive but I like the field, has a good mix

EDRD ain't going to satisfy any fishing yearnings you might have, but if you wanr to read about any real experiences of lads digging, bushing, lamping, coursing or ferreting, then EDRD is the mag you want to read. It has recently had a re-vamp and has been invigorated. Top mag.

Dont bother with the fishing magazines, there sales brochures, with the odd sponsored article

That depends on the discipline of fishing you are following.

For fly fishing buy 12 months of fly fisher/Total Fly Fisher/Fly Fisherman/ Total Trout Fishing and you have every copy of each you ever need - the same articles churned out year after year.

Fly Fishing and Fly Tying is in a class of its own with great news articles, brilliant guest writers, step-by-step of innovative and classic patterns and doesn't just cover put n take puddles.

That depends on the discipline of fishing you are following.

For fly fishing buy 12 months of fly fisher/Total Fly Fisher/Fly Fisherman/ Total Trout Fishing and you have every copy of each you ever need - the same articles churned out year after year.

Fly Fishing and Fly Tying is in a class of its own with great news articles, brilliant guest writers, step-by-step of innovative and classic patterns and doesn't just cover put n take puddles.

My bad i was taking about the Carp magazines... should have made that clear, i do buy the Fly fishing mags now and again :)

Thanks guys I guess what I'm after is a general country pursuits magazine for people like me who have to work and raise kids etc. But live for the precious times when we can get out and go fishing or shooting or run the dogs. And bits on food and general country living

Funnily enough, i just bought " Sporting Gun " today, ( a new one for me ) because i heard an article, i was interested in,was in it.I was pleasantly surprised,cause there was a good range of topics, and a fair amount of interesting (to the countryman) stuff.

Mags like every thing else are shite these day. Gamekeeper and countryman magazine was the best followed by the old shooting times In its hey day and the hound magazine is about the best of todays crop glad i kept all my old ones

Try something like a digital sub' to 'Field & Stream',yes a Yank. mag but far better value at only around a tenner per year (I think) got nothing to lose really at that price.'Shooting Times' is nothing like what it used to be years ago today and too PC for my liking & 'Countryman's Weekly' is no more that a printed bog roll and a joke in comparison to what it was like in the far off quality days of 'Shooting News'.As for fly-fishing the mentioned 'Fly Fishing & Fly Tying' is a quality mag.And I've always rated 'Trout & Salmon' but it's too expensive IMO so I knocked it on the head last year.It's a shrinking pool and it'll just get smaller I think.