Which .22Lr Rimfire Rifle?

Hi,

I am new to the rim fire game and i am looking at buying my first rifle. I was set on a new Browning T-bolt target/ Varmint version. Which from the reviews i've read seemed to be a well priced and good gun to start with. I went to my local dealer this weekend and had a look at one and i liked it, I like it's looks too. But as i was driving home i wondered weather for a few £100 more i could get something that was top draw. I am very much a believer in you pay for what you get and some times it's worth spending that extra couple of quid to get something decent that's going to last the years to come! So without money being a major object, what would be the overall concensus on a Top quality rifle that does the business in a .22LR Calibre??

I can imagine this may open up a can of worms! :D

Cheers.

+1 for the cz, spot on little rifles, spare a few quid (literally) and a couple of minutes fitting a trigger kit (rimfire magic or Yodave are 2 suppliers), and it takes them into a different league.

Spare parts availability is good for both aftermarket and factory bits. And if you're into customising your guns www.boydsgunstocks.com make some lovely stocks, delivered to the Uk for under £100.

• Like 1

I would go for the Sako Finnfire Varmint (or sporter), they stopped making them some time ago when they introduced the

switch-barrel design, but have just re-introduced them apparently by demand?

My Varmint is about 20 years old and is superb, accurate, good trigger, but maybe a tad heavy. The Anschutz 1417 is also

very good, but one niggle is that the bolt can lift slightly when carried on a sling, and it wont fire until you drop the bolt

properly again, but its not obviously out of battery, small point but I have witnessed this on several different rifles of this

model.

I had my Varmint cut down from 21" to 16" but other than that it's how it came in the box.

• Like 1

+1 for the cz, spot on little rifles, spare a few quid (literally) and a couple of minutes fitting a trigger kit (rimfire magic or Yodave are 2 suppliers), and it takes them into a different league.

Spare parts availability is good for both aftermarket and factory bits. And if you're into customising your guns www.boydsgunstocks.com make some lovely stocks, delivered to the Uk for under £100.

+1.

Whatever rifle you select, definitely take a look here:

www.boydsgunstocks.com

I also 2nd the Sako recommendation if you're prepared to pay a lot more.

Personally, I'd consider a stainless barrel. Unfortunately that rules out a CZ, but stainless has the advantage of being less maintenance heavy plus it looks great with a good laminate stock!

BTW a friend of mine has a Browning A Bolt and they really rate it. Can't comment on the T Bolt.

Not sure if any of that helps but I guess what I'm saying is you shouldn't go far wrong with Sako, Anshultz, CZ or Browning. They're all respected makes. Might be worth searching Youtube to see if anyone's done a side by side accuracy test (although it's worth remembering some rifles like certain ammo brands better than others).

Edited by Alsone

I am yet to see any case put by anyone for a NEED for anything more than a CZ for field use, some just want pretty wood etc., and are prepared, in some cases, to pay well over double the cost of CZ.

I also don't understand heavy (varmint) barrels for virtually any situation in the field, there is no accuracy advantage, just a heavier lump to carry around, but it's down to the individual.

Spending more than a CZ costs will give you no advantage of accuracy, reliability, repeatability, etc in the field, I have never heard anyone dump their CZ because they wanted something more accurate or reliable.

:thumbs:

• Like 3