I reckon most dogs, if trained to do so, would take their owners back to a kill. How hard would it be to teach the dog 'show me' commands? Starting when a pup, and rewarding it when it gets to where you have previously stashed something. No different to teaching drug dogs to search and mark? Or sniffer dogs finding people buried in avalanches etc. The only difference would be teaching the dog to take you to where it had killed. I must admit, I've never tried to do that: maybe a task for the future.

I'm sure its possible. Mate of mine trains police dogs, over the years he has been involved in GSD 'aggressive' dogs, drugs and firearms with Spaniels, the whole lot. The thing with him is he is with the pup all day every day training whereas - certainly speaking for myself, I don't have anywhere near the time to train my dog that he does. I think as much as your dog is capable of is related to how much time and energy the owner has...

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Most dogs will readily help you to locate a beast.. lost in woodland.   I just ask em,...Where is it ?....and off we all go,...ASAP...

Was reading a thread earlier and a comment got me thinking someone said if the dogs digging theres a rabbit home . Its mostly ferreting and mooching i do with my dogs when they mark i prefer a silent

not the steadiest dog at a hole, was my old bull lurcher, had to dig him out a few places... the twat... but I was actually blessed with old Bud, though he was so hard to keep up with back when I didn

Posted Images

I reckon most dogs, if trained to do so, would take their owners back to a kill. How hard would it be to teach the dog 'show me' commands? Starting when a pup, and rewarding it when it gets to where you have previously stashed something. No different to teaching drug dogs to search and mark? Or sniffer dogs finding people buried in avalanches etc. The only difference would be teaching the dog to take you to where it had killed. I must admit, I've never tried to do that: maybe a task for the future.

prob as easy as learning it to retrieve :laugh:

I couldnt even get my bull cross to do that! :laugh:

• Like 1

Both my dogs can take me to a kill if it is out of sight ...very handy in wooded areas ........

Both my dogs can take me to a kill if it is out of sight ...very handy in wooded areas ........

Did you train them specifically to do it, or do they do it naturally?

Did you train them specifically to do it, or do they do it naturally?

Bit of both penny I just highlighted their instinct and gave them some guidance as to what I wanted .... As you know tweaking an instinct is far better than trying to train something into a dog ......

As for the marking side of things then I like my dogs to give a decisive but silent mark ... As I do this for a living I am very often on archeological sensitive sights as well as private and public gardens that have cost many thousands of pounds ... So turning up with a dog that's going add even more damage by digging or chewing at the warren is a big no no

The dogs silently marking today .........

imagejpg1-16.jpg

6ff7800f-c984-4f00-b624-1b1efd4217fb.jpg

imagejpg2-5.jpg

• Like 1

Mostly terriers iv seen diggin at holes when marking, got one here that does it if you don't tell her after she marks, I genuinely don't mind it aslong as dog stops when you say so, lurcher don't dig when marking nice silent steady mark but can't say iv noticed diffrence in bunnys bolting between what dog marks, suppose it all depends his good the ferret is that's up the bunnys arse lol

so a dog chews and digs at a burrow the rabbit will bolt the same and as quick as a burrow that there has been no noise at ? its all down to good your ferret is lol

Must admit I like the classic freeze pose over a hole:

post-5156-0-38918800-1401978802.jpg

or like this:

post-5156-0-69134200-1401978913_thumb.jpg

Hate dogs that can't wait quietly, keeping an ear and eye out for anything moving or getting ready to bolt anywhere in their vicinity. Dogs that whine make my blood boil!

• Like 2

Buck will try to bring it or drag it back lol, must be great to have a dog show you were it nailed it .