Let's See Some Bigger Hounds - 25Tts +

I'm sure there was a topic like this a couple of years back but just had a search and can only find the 'let's see your whippet/small lurcher' topic!

My pup is pushing 27"tts at 15 months now, didn't expect her to be this size and my previous dogs have been little beddy/whippets, so interested to hear other people's experiences working the bigger dogs. Mine has some serious speed at full gallop but already struggling turning sharply behind quarry, i'm hoping this will improve with experience as she sees more.

She's been slow to mature mentally too so held her back from any regular work, but should be sound for September onwards.

Would be interested anyone elses 'big' dogs and hearing how they developed over time...

pw7zqy8i.jpg

4yv7k4ho.jpg

6imr76ct.jpg

• Like 9

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Is this big enough just under 32 its,the largest most powerfull dog i have seen work,this dog could kill deer by shaking them by and breaking their necks .Foxes just no trouble,all preban.  

27 tts and the best dog ive had in a long time,hes an honest hard working dog,   heres one I had back in the 80's salxg.h by collieg.h   took a lot of stuff with this dog also

Posted Images

I'm sure there was a topic like this a couple of years back but just had a search and can only find the 'let's see your whippet/small lurcher' topic!

My pup is pushing 27"tts at 15 months now, didn't expect her to be this size and my previous dogs have been little beddy/whippets, so interested to hear other people's experiences working the bigger dogs. Mine has some serious speed at full gallop but already struggling turning sharply behind quarry, i'm hoping this will improve with experience as she sees more.

She's been slow to mature mentally too so held her back from any regular work, but should be sound for September onwards.

Would be interested anyone elses 'big' dogs and hearing how they developed over time...

pw7zqy8i.jpg

4yv7k4ho.jpg

6imr76ct.jpg

Satan, when she's approaching 2 years of age and strengthening up, is when you'll really start to see her developing even more 'serious speed' lol. She should learn how to control her turning and her speed the more experience she gets. I'll get my lad to pm some pics of our bitch to you. Despite being almost 29" tts, she doesn't struggle picking up rabbits lol :thumbs:

• Like 1

pw7zqy8i.jpg

4yv7k4ho.jpg

6imr76ct.jpg

Satan, when she's approaching 2 years of age and strengthening up, is when you'll really start to see her developing even more 'serious speed' lol. She should learn how to control her turning and her speed the more experience she gets. I'll get my lad to pm some pics of our bitch to you. Despite being almost 29" tts, she doesn't struggle picking up rabbits lol :thumbs:

cheers mate, if she gets any faster she'll never be able to stop when she gets going, nearly ko'd me going at full pelt the other day :laugh:

She's got no problem getting low and picking up, so yeah hopefully the turning will get better

• Like 1

Buzz, 4 years old. 27 inches, 33kg. Has taken everything for me. Best mate :thumbs:

IMG_1775_zps97e58ba5.jpgIMG_1465_zps585ab39f.jpg

DSC_0104_zps18cd6e22.jpg

that is a great looking dog!!

002-2.jpg

proper long legs on him, is he 45 " TTS or is that your son stood with him?! :laugh:

• Like 1

pw7zqy8i.jpg

4yv7k4ho.jpg

6imr76ct.jpg

cheers mate, if she gets any faster she'll never be able to stop when she gets going, nearly ko'd me going at full pelt the other day :laugh:

She's got no problem getting low and picking up, so yeah hopefully the turning will get better

Ours do that all the time, as if they like to see how close they can get to you before you shit yourself! lol :thumbs:

• Like 3

He could catch bunnys and had a few decent bags but he wasn't in same league as a smaller lurcher lol he never made it old enough to get tested properly he was a trier tho but his turning wasn't the best lol

• Like 2