• 2 weeks later...

I just asked my wife who deals with this kind of thing down the vets where she works.

"Burns. If they're working Labs, and need to put on size. The best dry food for what he wants is Burns. If you're going to bulk it up, you can use sweet potato and cooked chicken."

She did say that not all dogs are the same and that it's worth a little experimentation.

My personal view...my wife knows her stuff! Nutritionist, does dog massage for many working dogs (including 2 working labs, soon to be 3).

Burns is very pricey

Ours are all on Chudleys working crunch all year round regardless (apart from the pups which are on Chudleys puppy) Cockers and Labs and they all seem to do pretty well on it.

Just vary the amount that they get dependant on the work that they are getting.

I was on the Skinners working 23 until it went from £15 to about £19 over the course of about 2 months!

Before that I was on Dr Johns and found that I was feeding a lot of it to keep the condition on the dogs (and therefore cleaning a lot of other stuff up!).

Bulk it up with a bit of mince from the frozen section (the real cheap stuff) for some extra bulk, I find that better than trip as a short term weigh gain solution but a bit of tripe in a feed does make a fussy dog scoff pretty well!

if you want to put weight on the dog and have no access to barf then go to a cheap frozen food shop and buy bags of the cheap minced beef and add it to the complete your feeding it will contain a lot of fat as well as protein,

I just asked my wife who deals with this kind of thing down the vets where she works.

"Burns. If they're working Labs, and need to put on size. The best dry food for what he wants is Burns. If you're going to bulk it up, you can use sweet potato and cooked chicken."

She did say that not all dogs are the same and that it's worth a little experimentation.

My personal view...my wife knows her stuff! Nutritionist, does dog massage for many working dogs (including 2 working labs, soon to be 3).

Burns is crazy money. You could feed the dogs real food for that money and still have change to take the missus for a steak.