Collie/greyhound X Deerhound/greyhound

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

my bitch with a touch of beddy

Hi shaaark,....back in the 1970s/1980s,...everyone I walked out with kept dogs of this breeding,..well thereabouts...   As a type, it is a lovely mix of dogs and makes for a real nice hunting lurch

Posted Images

Here's one that I owned many moons ago when I was a "Youth" . Mate bred her from 2 dogs that had Collie Grey Deerhound running thru them.

Lovely bitch around 26" with pace to burn, used to spin a fair few hares locally with her and rabbits day and night . . . Not to keen on owt that bit back tho

Bess . . . .

BESS.jpg

• Like 5

Some nice dogs there lads. Bitch we've got here now is 1st x collie/grey x 1st x deer/grey.

Not meaning to be contentious, but I just don't get why some people come out with this 'too tall' nonsense, she's nearly 29" tts and catches rabbits with no bother, and I've seen and owned other dogs similarly bred, and taller, do the same. As long as they don't turn out too heavy and they maintain good balance, I don't see a problem with their height :thumbs:

• Like 6

Some nice dogs there lads. Bitch we've got here now is 1st x collie/grey x 1st x deer/grey.

Not meaning to be contentious, but I just don't get why some people come out with this 'too tall' nonsense, she's nearly 29" tts and catches rabbits with no bother, and I've seen and owned other dogs similarly bred, and taller, do the same. As long as they don't turn out too heavy and they maintain good balance, I don't see a problem with their height :thumbs:

the too tall business is a myth old wives tale's mainly said by people who have not witnessed a large lurcher at work there are 33" dogs what do well on rabbit i had a 29"tts that was dam good on them and have a 28" dhxgh what catches them so its a load of bollox if the dog can get down and feed and pick scraps off the floor i am dam sure it can pick a rabbit up
  • Like 2

the too tall business is a myth old wives tale's mainly said by people who have not witnessed a large lurcher at work there are 33" dogs what do well on rabbit i had a 29"tts that was dam good on them and have a 28" dhxgh what catches them so its a load of bollox if the dog can get down and feed and pick scraps off the floor i am dam sure it can pick a rabbit up

Lol :thumbs:

I had em back along, the brindle in the pic, sorry don't have any photos but he was very like the animal Jack68 has pictured. Half decent, ran him with a saluki hybrid, black in the pic, he had a better strike and the bulk to hold stuff better than the saluki but lacked the stamina. I would own one again.

post-2025-0-22088600-1401191968.jpg

edit to add the pic was called legal quarry and they all were back then, Halcyon days.

Edited by sandymere
  • Like 1

I had em back along, the brindle in the pic, sorry don't have any photos but he was very like the animal Jack68 has pictured. Half decent, ran him with a saluki hybrid, black in the pic, he had a better strike and the bulk to hold stuff better than the saluki but lacked the stamina. I would own one again.

attachicon.gifpic 80@s.jpg

edit to add the pic was called legal quarry and they all were back then, Halcyon days.

What type do you have now sandy? :)

I have always used this cross, they will never be your out and out hare dog but they can give a good spin on a hare. I had a bitch 5-6 yrs back and she showed foxes no mercy. My uncle swears by this cross has had the same for 30yrs plus they are a good alround dog. Watch the strictly lamping and ferreting videos alot of the dogs on there are deerhound greyhound collie greyhound.

I have always used this cross, they will never be your out and out hare dog but they can give a good spin on a hare. I had a bitch 5-6 yrs back and she showed foxes no mercy. My uncle swears by this cross has had the same for 30yrs plus they are a good alround dog. Watch the strictly lamping and ferreting videos alot of the dogs on there are deerhound greyhound collie greyhound.

Haven't seen those videos, but agree with you completely as to their allround ability, especially as lamp dogs, taking all quarry.

Nice to see some oldys lads. Not a type iv been alround alot really a mate of mine as one I dont know % or what ever but got it as collie/gh x deer/gh. Nice type about 25" fast (and I mean speed to burn) great mouth and great agility the dogs happy be it rabbit upwards took a season to mature on teeth but once he mature to the task he was perfect not the greatest of winded of dogs but certainly could spin a few with a minute or so in the tank but to be fair his speed made up for that and busy from the start ( I like a busy fast type instead of 4 5 min run) just a real handy type to have alround that got hammered by the motor season after season he's the only one iv personally see run and if there all like that ill have one