Help With Dog Barking

need a bit help my spanial barks every hour through the night its the train track at the end of the street that kiks him of he only barks a coupel of time till I get up and show my self hes a house dog and hes only just started this last 2 months hes 2 half yrs old jst wandering what can be done

yis sj

mate I don't like the thought of using them and I haven't as yet but all of the keepers I know use an electric collar, One of the lads who has a very good rep for breeding long dogs swears by them for kennel noise.

On the plus side I did try one strapped to my arm and on full power it felt like touching a not so strong electric fence. I have been tempted to use one on my little kelpie cross lurcher as she hates horses and we live in a horse area, but so far ive avoided it.

• 2 weeks later...

mate I don't like the thought of using them and I haven't as yet but all of the keepers I know use an electric collar, One of the lads who has a very good rep for breeding long dogs swears by them for kennel noise.

On the plus side I did try one strapped to my arm and on full power it felt like touching a not so strong electric fence. I have been tempted to use one on my little kelpie cross lurcher as she hates horses and we live in a horse area, but so far ive avoided it.

After the dog gets couple of jags from the collar they behave perfect until it comes off

After the dog gets couple of jags from the collar they behave perfect until it comes off

Some dogs learn the electric training collar. Becoming collar-wise. But there is no reason not to use a bark eliminator collar for kennel noise. I think a correction for barking without seeing his master come should do the trick.

ATB

• 2 weeks later...

some good tricks there ,i have a new springer ,hes about 7 months now and hes a little rascal for barking ,i have an electric collar but im not sure about it ,he also wont stay at my heel yet so i think ill have to use it ...thanks guys any help would be welcome..this is my first post:)

some good tricks there ,i have a new springer ,hes about 7 months now and hes a little rascal for barking ,i have an electric collar but im not sure about it ,he also wont stay at my heel yet so i think ill have to use it ...thanks guys any help would be welcome..this is my first post:)

Hi crossman, welcome. I'm in favor of e-collars but would recommend the basic puppy training techniques for teaching things like manors on the lead. You can advance to the collar as you progress. Before you start using the collar read up on a few techniques then pick one and stick to it. The manufacturer might have some info on their web site.

I like tritronics myself so here is a link that may be useful to you. http://www.tritronics.com/content/dog-training-information/tips/

ATB

Rather than punishing the dog for reacting to a noise that is obviously startling him, why not attack the problem at cause? People as well as animals can become over-sensitised to noises and things for reasons we either can't see or can't understand. The fact is that the dog is now sensitised to the train track noise, and he either feels it is his duty, as a pack member to warn of possible danger, or he's simply reacting to something that has upset his sleep.

The fact that he only does it at night when there is not much outside noise means that you could try leaving a radio on quietly which may muffle the sound. That's the first option, and if that doesn't work, is there anywhere else he could sleep where the noise won't disturb his sleep so much?

Failing that, you could spend a few nights downstairs with him, and reassure him each time it happens. It may also be that in the quiet of night he is feeling the vibrations of the train, which for some reasons is disturbing him when there is no other ambient noise. Or you could try having him in your bedroom?

• Like 2

here we go again a dog does something which is no considered the norm and out come the shock collars. I can believe a game keeper uses them, they need results and need them quick, its a natural thing for a dog to do bark and some do it more than others its a form of expression. work out what he is saying and you can cure it, it takes time but work on it. if its t night then your dog is not sleeping, why too hot? too cold? not comfortable? something about, or maybe he has just not had enough work or exercise. a 30 min walk around the streets is not enough.

The railway line can vibrate we know what it is he doesn't but will get used to it, but if he barks you go to him, and that's nice so he barks my dad appears pattern showing. the problem is that if you stop him barking you stop him expressing.

at the worst there are collars that omit a spray of a harmless odour when they bark. but I would try other things first but not E collars

I made a water sprayer that gives a 5 second blast of water when the dogs bark. Simple to make all you need is a sound/light activated switch, i got mine off ebay and blanked off the light sensor pir with tape, a washing machine inlet valve a hose pipe and a sprayer head. The valve itself does not create enough load to operate the system so i have a light wired into the circuit aswell.

036.jpg

Edited by Mooching Celt