Not to be critical but why would you get a wild bird tame enough to sit on your hand like that.....surely if its interaction with a bird you want a Budgie or Parrot would be more suitable ?............I know its a captive bred bird but still dont you want to retain its ......well...wildness i spose.......

Like i say,dont want to piss anyone off just trying to get an understanding me being new to this bird lark :thumbs:

Gnasher, it would be an avairy bred bird.

I know that....but aint it the equivalent of trying to get a working patterdale to do juggling tricks ?.....

Lol lol no Gnasher.

To get them come to you it proves that there steady and usually turn out to be top breeding birds for you.

agghh ok fair enough........ive got a little tribe of Goldfinches here they hate my f****n guts and wont come near me....spose im just jealous :D

But how would you feel if they did let you close to them or even come to you to see what treats you have for them? :D and to be able to have the trust of a bird like JD had with feeding her on the nest would also be the pinnacle of my bird keeping world for sure mate :yes: ,

• Like 1

Not to be critical but why would you get a wild bird tame enough to sit on your hand like that.....surely if its interaction with a bird you want a Budgie or Parrot would be more suitable ?............I know its a captive bred bird but still dont you want to retain its ......well...wildness i spose.......

Like i say,dont want to piss anyone off just trying to get an understanding me being new to this bird lark :thumbs:

Absolutely.... you're right, birds should be wild, what's point in having them hand steady, in fact what's the point in keeping them in captivity when we should be observing them through a pair of binoculars? :icon_eek:

I know you're new to birds, you'll change your opinion on how steady birds are when you try and breed some british. :yes: You'll soon come to the conclusion that, it's impossible for aviary birds to be steady enough. :thumbs:

But don't take my word for it....ask these chaps, their mommy would let me hand feed her on the nest..... ;) and that, to me, is probably the pinnacle of my whole bird keeping years.....

Yeah i can see that........i suppose me being a greenhorn and all i havent really got into the whole bonding thing yet i just watch them that gives me pleasure enough.....bollocks to doing that through binoculars though i want to hear them and see them close up......but yes i can see the value in gaining a birds trust i suppose i was looking at it from a " look what tricks my pet can do " viewpoint..........my bad :thumbs:

• Like 2

Gnasher, it would be an avairy bred bird.

I know that....but aint it the equivalent of trying to get a working patterdale to do juggling tricks ?.....

Lol lol no Gnasher.

To get them come to you it proves that there steady and usually turn out to be top breeding birds for you.

agghh ok fair enough........ive got a little tribe of Goldfinches here they hate my f****n guts and wont come near me....spose im just jealous :D

But how would you feel if they did let you close to them or even come to you to see what treats you have for them? :D and to be able to have the trust of a bird like JD had with feeding her on the nest would also be the pinnacle of my bird keeping world for sure mate :yes: ,

With a bit of effort it isn't too hard to Hand rear a few, then you will get some success. A chap I know Hand rears his Birds for Brood stock, two weeks of being tired but it gets better and the pay-off is worth it. Hybrids some find impossible will be more possible and Hatch rates increase.

Boys just a quickie I have not been on this site for a very long time and I am struggling to find the cage and avairy forum I have got this through the search engine is it under a a sub forum cheers lads.

Great pick jd