Gm Trials Given Go-Ahead

the simple fact regarding africa is they are not good ay farming, a bloke i work with is married to a zimbabwean woman and owns a ranch out there and employs her family to look after it while he lives and works here with her. he loses huge amounts of money he sends seeds and tools over they just sell them and they just ate all the livestock he bought for them and just keep coming back cap in hand for more handouts. multiply that situation by a full continent propped up unsustainably on foreign aid with a huge over population problem.

Therein lies the problem,they have had "handouts" for so long they have lost the ability/skills to grow there own food. The Foreign aid would be better served to supply them with machinery/technology and Educate them on how to grow and feed themselves. However if they did teach them to make and grow there own food Billions would be lost in the Revenue made from these Countries.

Sp

Who the feck brought Africa up .......................?

I'm getting a bit fed up of saying this, but my major concern is that we, Great Britain, the United Kingdom, import 40% of our food. Mick's assertion that we can easily feed ourselves is simply not true !

The NFU calculated that if we stopped all food imports on January 1st, we will have run out of food by mid -August ! :icon_eek: That's you and me with nothing to eat, nothing to do with Africa or foreign aid. We generally eat well in this country, but we get a lot of it from somewhere else, and that makes us vulnerable to disruption of our food supply !

During the War, rationing was necessary, because we imported so much of our food - 70 years later, square one, here we come !!

I'm running out of ways to explain this. Does no-one else find this even a bit worrying.........?

Edited by Blackbriar

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm not racist in any way but I know loads of white SA, Zimbabwean and Kenya's. Everyone will tell you the ground got took of them and white farmers marched of and sometimes killed by black African r

Crack on I say, albeit sensibly of course. We are constantly trying to develop new technologies to combat natures mechanisms to restrict us. To me it's no more unnatural than using machinery to change

No just them African's we are a isle the population is growing they cant make any more land and what there is will be built on so apart from the rich that can afford to feed there family's organic foo

Posted Images

the simple fact regarding africa is they are not good ay farming, a bloke i work with is married to a zimbabwean woman and owns a ranch out there and employs her family to look after it while he lives and works here with her. he loses huge amounts of money he sends seeds and tools over they just sell them and they just ate all the livestock he bought for them and just keep coming back cap in hand for more handouts. multiply that situation by a full continent propped up unsustainably on foreign aid with a huge over population problem.

Therein lies the problem,they have had "handouts" for so long they have lost the ability/skills to grow there own food. The Foreign aid would be better served to supply them with machinery/technology and Educate them on how to grow and feed themselves. However if they did teach them to make and grow there own food Billions would be lost in the Revenue made from these Countries.

Sp

I know it's slightly off topic but...

When Zimbabwe gained independence from the British Empire, they were a massive exporter of food, it was known as the bread basket of Africa. The country and its people were left the tools to prosper, and now look at it.

A good start would be to avoid the likes of the big super markets in favour of local suppliers, we are chucking away 7 million tons of food and drink a year !!!......one o the big reasons is that instead if buying what we need that day, we go to supermarkets and freight up with multi packs of this and that.....an amount of this then gos out of date and gets chucked.

They sell like this for one reason, revenue !!

Ahh, but we don't have time I hear you say.......you don't have time because you are having to work so f*****g hard to pay the government the extortionate amounts it demands in tax, stealth tax etc etc

Everything is inter connected, low tax, low control, local low consumption.......unfortunately it may mean having to give up your latest mod con ?.......ahh, don't really want to do that now do we !

No, let's keep the 50inch flat screen, pay the man and let firms like Monsanto tell us what we can and can't eat.........nothing is worth losing the telly now is it ! ;)

I think times have changed so much.

Me personally me and my wife work full time.

What do I do?

Go shopping on sat afternoon and wast a sat trampling round local shops.

Or go tesco at 2100hrs on week night?

It's all convince, local shops can't compete with the convince.

In other words, exactly where politicians want you to be, like most of us, a slave to the bills.

Free men don't pay and so are no use to governments ;)

This is why things like GM and companies like Minsanto should be resisted......cutting off your nose to spite your face it maybe, but well worth it if even to hold back the tide if slavery just a little longer

Freemen don't pay bills!

What sort of daft answer is that cause a local shop keeper can't offer what a super market can.

What you want everyone to turn into pikeys?

I'm all for a protest and change to the way things are.

The government make it seem like we are having a say with a election system.

IMO the government is about as corrupt as African politicians.

They just don't make it as obvious.

Look at the expenses scandal the amount of tax payers money that's been stolen and not hardly a fraud charge it's fookin joke.

Then there Is the banks.

It goes on and on.

Sp

I know it's slightly off topic but...

When Zimbabwe gained independence from the British Empire, they were a massive exporter of food, it was known as the bread basket of Africa. The country and its people were left the tools to prosper, and now look at it.

I'm not racist in any way but I know loads of white SA, Zimbabwean and Kenya's.

Everyone will tell you the ground got took of them and white farmers marched of and sometimes killed by black African reclaiming the grounds.

Now these blacks mostly can't read write and have no knowledge of farming and nor do the blacks they employ as mostly the ones that worked on farm were killed or moved.

So the answer is you end up with millions of acres of farming ground and not one person with the knowledge to farm it.

• Like 3

exactly. didnt the zambian government invite all the evicted white farmers to farm their land and now their economy is growing lol. and to say africa doesnt affect us is crazy its basic globalism. we could, if pushed, feed ourselves as a country without gm but never africa they are using a growing world population as an excuse for gm crops when it should be of no concern to us in developed countries what so ever we owe them nothing we already import huge numbers of them over here and support them aswell as supporting them there lol. someone somewhere is getting very rich from all this no doubt.

Crack on I say, albeit sensibly of course. We are constantly trying to develop new technologies to combat natures mechanisms to restrict us. To me it's no more unnatural than using machinery to change the landscape to improve crop productivity or using medicine to save the lives of people that should have died as infants or older.

Even if we don't strictly need it in the UK it'll improve our efficiency and productivity and with those competitiveness.

• Like 2

There are terrible times ahead,when we can't feed Africa any more what will they do?

They'll come here,probably invited by the government and they'll have the same effect on our country as a plague of locusts.

A natural disaster or ice age in Europe might be our only chance of survival.

I was doing a bit of business with a lad from Cameroon the other day, having a good chat.

He f***ing hates it here, to cold and too expensive but the country has the things he wants to export back.

He was telling me he has a nice pad in Cameroon (invited me over as it gos !!), security guards, gardners, nice big pool......got his old woman and offspring shacked up in a council place in Camberwell.......educate the kids, export till he is 50 then back home to live like a king.

If the country is silly enough to allow it, more power to his elbow I say.