Collie Brains

I have ran bull breeds for a long time and I run collie crosses and have done for 11 years. For the work I do they do me fine. no stalking and no choosing their runs. The youngest one I have reminds me of a wheaten cross bitch I used to run. I struggle with them filling the freezer because I don't have a freezer big enough! I don't do pest control anymore and I hunt for shits and giggles and to feed my dogs and my family. My collie crosses are adequate for my meagre needs

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've kept crossbred herding dogs,..all my life,...used other types, for other business, and enjoyed them immensely, but I always return to the mongrel curs..As for brains,.well,... I've seen some ree

Weasel,,, I don't think bulls get enough credit,,in the brains department,,,some of them are incredibly intelligent ,,,in fact more often than not,,more intelligent than the other end of the lead,,,lo

If your collie x is too slow to catch fookall or is a jacker you can always find other uses, nothing more silly than a man chasing after his own hat    

Posted Images

every dog i've had has had collie in most half or more & i've never had a dog that

stalked rabbits

And have you never had one thats over thought a situation,Or stood looking at you with a Sorry did you want me to chase that look.

never had a dog over think any situation, & the only time one has refused to hunt/chase is when the lad

i was with fetched an in season bitch :angry: as i said i've had most fractions of collie from 1/16 to 3/4 now

if you was mostly lamping i don't think i would go more than 3/8 as i don't see that much gain.but at the

end of the day it's the owners choice they pick what they like what they think suits them.but collie are

just the same as any other dog there are good & bad, choose the wrong one & you ain't gonna have a

good outcome.

• Like 5

Id think many a good collie cross,has dictated when its time to pack up lamping at some time or another.

True or false :hmm:

Seen most x's and lurcher x lurcher types do the same, with enough experience, or run too often when not fit

true, not saying you got run it to standstill or when its not fit, but the collie x type will say when its had enough , bit more quicker than most other xs in the night, ive had few over the years and all have this mind-set attitude .Like said its what you doing with dog, if nice steady lamping +mooching+ferreting :thumbs: there hard to beat, but push them that bit harder ,and more so as they get older it will show more, they are a clever type dog they will do what they want not you.But not just colliexs any lurcher will do the same at some point colliexs bit quicker I think.?

Honest as always bird :thumbs:

Your expirances are like mine and every other lad who i know tried them love them or lov em.

And it probally makes you a better dog lad for it.

So why do the real enthusasts,Say theyve never had one Do the bits we think of as bad??

They just dont see it as bad?

Turn a blind eye keep charging stud fees :laugh: ?

Using good stock?

Skilled trainers?

Dont push too hard?

bird is honest & he'll tell you a collie x isn't his type never was or ever will it be, he says bryn

is a rabbit dog was bred as a rabbit dog when birds passion isn't rabbit's,so it was never going

to be a match made in heaven.as for bryn saying when he's had enough well bryn has had bags

in the thirties so not to shabby & if i had a dog catch me thirty odd & told me it had enough rather

than run till it dropped i wouldn't see it as a bad fault much rather have it there to run another

day in good health

• Like 6

Jack:Goes To see a litter of pups he heard of down the pub,Dam is black and white with a curly tail so a collie saluki.Sire is blue so a beddie or deerhoundx depending if the buyer wants a big or small dog.

Jack hasn't read a book since school,but hes not daft he knows about computers and stuff the woman down the dole office has one,there not to be trusted.

Gabriel:This lad has read all the books,I walked by night,Merle,even has a copy of blacks veterinary,Great for quoting on the hunting life.10,000 posts he in hes own right is quite a legend.

No local pups for this lad,He has heard of a litter of greyxcollie.

The collie lives on a dairy farm under the tractor,Fantastic at sneaking up behind visitors while there talking to the farmer and biting there ass,Back under the tractor before they even get to turn around.

Twice a day the dog WORKS bringing in the cattle.Too the untrained eye it may look like the cattle know there own way to the farm and with the two jeeps and farmers kids on bikes,The collie is just pissing up everyones gate posts searching for scraps and checking for bitches in season.Gabriel Knows better.

END OF FIRST SEASON.

Jack still has the vet on speed dial,Sure at some stage he will need a emergency vet.

Hes dog is still sprinting up the beam to a squatter,Hes still somersaulting to catch rabbits even though there 100 yards from the nearest hedge,Still bouncing of sheep wire,But he has just learned to move over to the hedge side when chasing a rabbit up the hedge.

Gabriel.The internet is a wash of photos of this curs lamping nights,A dog doesn't need speed,This dog is already running out the beam,To trap unsuspecting squatters just like plumber promised,Its already herding rabbits from hedges.The cur is amassing many rabbits and even more importantly likes on the hunting life..

Yet never has it stalked refused a run Gabriel has cracked it,He is a real old timer.

Hancock cannot breed enough 1/2 cross`s the word is out,a dog doesn't need speed.

END OF SECOND SEASON.

Jacks season didn't start of too well,the dog was reckless once too often a got a couple of weeks in sick bay,

But after that the dog,did well enough towards the end of season even started to show signs of working a few things out,a steady canter up to a squatter,Once behind a rabbit instead of snapping like a hungry crocodile, Jack could see him just letting the rabbit make the first move.He also now seemed to have a half eye for where that sheep wire was,Although he would still rather hit it than miss the rabbit.

Gabriel.Well hes dog has long since learned its not fast enough to catch rabbits way out in the open so rather than sprint after them it just follows them in to the hedge then makes its move,Not very interesting to watch to the lesser dog men,but Gabriel knows better than them,Once or twice a week he gets out for hes quest for rabbits and likes.

But then last night of season,has the lamp flicked on a wary rabbit shot across the beam,Gabriel didn't have to slip hes cur was walking to heel,a simple hiss.As the rabbit bounced of the bottom of the hedge were was the dog?Quick scan of field down to feet,those beautiful blue eyes looking up,a gingerly wagged tail.

Couldn't have seen it,best forgotten certainly not mentioned,especially with the sites awash of hes pups for next season.

END OF THIRD SEASON.

Jacks hard work and faith has paid of,Hes dog full of confidence knows hes more of a match than the rabbits,

Once behind he drops down 3 gears if the rabbit has no answer up a gear take it out on the way past,A good rabbit wants to turn the dog has learned its own way by positioning its head and shoulders the way it wants to go it nearly bounces its back end around,like a bmx doing endo`s.

All the time trying to stay between hedge and rabbit.

Non of this matters to any one ofcause other than old jack,In a few more years when he needs a knew pup he might cover a bitch hes friend has, red and hairy probably a wheaton x.

Gabriel.Started well until the night he jumped over the hedge and landed in a patch of 6 or 7 rabbits.

Gabriel was already writing the article in hes head 4 rabbits without moving, Rabbit 5 however decided not to stick around any longer,a hiss nothing look down he`d seen it all right.

Gabriel decided it was hes fault over done it,freshened up hes dog and of again,all went well for a while then one night, a perfectly catchable rabbit sat up 60 yards from the hedge,maybe the dog didn't like the rabbit had clearly seen him,maybe it looked closer to the hedge than it was from the dogs view.What ever the reason it was another NO.

The end of season saw the dog retired to very light work due to a nasty injury that might flare up,Luckily however it wouldn't effect hes stud Carrier.

• Like 3

Jack:Goes To see a litter of pups he heard of down the pub,Dam is black and white with a curly tail so a collie saluki.Sire is blue so a beddie or deerhoundx depending if the buyer wants a big or small dog.

Jack hasn't read a book since school,but hes not daft he knows about computers and stuff the woman down the dole office has one,there not to be trusted.

Gabriel:This lad has read all the books,I walked by night,Merle,even has a copy of blacks veterinary,Great for quoting on the hunting life.10,000 posts he in hes own right is quite a legend.

No local pups for this lad,He has heard of a litter of greyxcollie.

The collie lives on a dairy farm under the tractor,Fantastic at sneaking up behind visitors while there talking to the farmer and biting there ass,Back under the tractor before they even get to turn around.

Twice a day the dog WORKS bringing in the cattle.Too the untrained eye it may look like the cattle know there own way to the farm and with the two jeeps and farmers kids on bikes,The collie is just pissing up everyones gate posts searching for scraps and checking for bitches in season.Gabriel Knows better.

END OF FIRST SEASON.

Jack still has the vet on speed dial,Sure at some stage he will need a emergency vet.

Hes dog is still sprinting up the beam to a squatter,Hes still somersaulting to catch rabbits even though there 100 yards from the nearest hedge,Still bouncing of sheep wire,But he has just learned to move over to the hedge side when chasing a rabbit up the hedge.

Gabriel.The internet is a wash of photos of this curs lamping nights,A dog doesn't need speed,This dog is already running out the beam,To trap unsuspecting squatters just like plumber promised,Its already herding rabbits from hedges.The cur is amassing many rabbits and even more importantly likes on the hunting life..

Yet never has it stalked refused a run Gabriel has cracked it,He is a real old timer.

Hancock cannot breed enough 1/2 cross`s the word is out,a dog doesn't need speed.

END OF SECOND SEASON.

Jacks season didn't start of too well,the dog was reckless once too often a got a couple of weeks in sick bay,

But after that the dog,did well enough towards the end of season even started to show signs of working a few things out,a steady canter up to a squatter,Once behind a rabbit instead of snapping like a hungry crocodile, Jack could see him just letting the rabbit make the first move.He also now seemed to have a half eye for where that sheep wire was,Although he would still rather hit it than miss the rabbit.

Gabriel.Well hes dog has long since learned its not fast enough to catch rabbits way out in the open so rather than sprint after them it just follows them in to the hedge then makes its move,Not very interesting to watch to the lesser dog men,but Gabriel knows better than them,Once or twice a week he gets out for hes quest for rabbits and likes.

But then last night of season,has the lamp flicked on a wary rabbit shot across the beam,Gabriel didn't have to slip hes cur was walking to heel,a simple hiss.As the rabbit bounced of the bottom of the hedge were was the dog?Quick scan of field down to feet,those beautiful blue eyes looking up,a gingerly wagged tail.

Couldn't have seen it,best forgotten certainly not mentioned,especially with the sites awash of hes pups for next season.

END OF THIRD SEASON.

Jacks hard work and faith has paid of,Hes dog full of confidence knows hes more of a match than the rabbits,

Once behind he drops down 3 gears if the rabbit has no answer up a gear take it out on the way past,A good rabbit wants to turn the dog has learned its own way by positioning its head and shoulders the way it wants to go it nearly bounces its back end around,like a bmx doing endo`s.

All the time trying to stay between hedge and rabbit.

Non of this matters to any one ofcause other than old jack,In a few more years when he needs a knew pup he might cover a bitch hes friend has, red and hairy probably a wheaton x.

Gabriel.Started well until the night he jumped over the hedge and landed in a patch of 6 or 7 rabbits.

Gabriel was already writing the article in hes head 4 rabbits without moving, Rabbit 5 however decided not to stick around any longer,a hiss nothing look down he`d seen it all right.

Gabriel decided it was hes fault over done it,freshened up hes dog and of again,all went well for a while then one night, a perfectly catchable rabbit sat up 60 yards from the hedge,maybe the dog didn't like the rabbit had clearly seen him,maybe it looked closer to the hedge than it was from the dogs view.What ever the reason it was another NO.

The end of season saw the dog retired to very light work due to a nasty injury that might flare up,Luckily however it wouldn't effect hes stud Carrier.

Very good! Run some on daytime tackle and the jacking happens all the more quickly IMO......

I've seen it a few times over the years with, so-called, 'intelligent dogs'....the more they think they can't catch, the less they try and the less they catch, so they know they were right. No point in trying on those it 'knows' it cannot catch.. Vicious circle. 8)

So is this thread saying . . . . .

All intelligent animals jack.

Therefore heavily collified dogs will jack quicker than others.

Non-colliefied dogs will be less smart, and so won't jack.

Bit of a generalisation don't you think?

Bit like saying that all bull x's are bunny crunchers and won't retrieve, or all beddy x's are yappers. . . . . .

I don't think anyone's saying that matey, i always think, 'What are brains?'

Do brains make a dog swim out forty yards into a choppy reservoir to retrieve a shot Mallard?

Do brains catch that third hare of the morning, a morning when the ground's so bottomless it's like porridge and that dog had better be in it for the long haul.

Do brains matter when the dogs on the 15th, 20th, 25th rabbit of the night?

Do brains matter when you're in a wood and a keeper's hilux is coming bouncing along down the track, you click your fingers and both you and your canine fall to the floor as one, keeping just that oh-so-important inch below the bracken that hides you.

Do brains matter when there's an aggreasive sika stag stood staring at you with a mane like a lion and ivory-tipped headgear ready to turn your dog into a kebab.

Do brains matter when you've driven the best part of three hours to get to a destination for a night lamping, just one dog, and you expect him to lamp until dawn, twice or three times a week and every time out fill the car boot?

Do brains matter when you're sneaking in a low hawthorn wood full to the brim with wood pigeons, your four legged friend your only way of collecting the casualties without sccaring off all the other shot-alerted birds. You shoot one and he's away into the pitch night, coming back with a plump pigeon before once again joining you at heal.

Do brains matter at 5am on a september morning and there's a roebuck glowing out on the stubbles with the wood only 80 short yards away.

Do brains matter?

What are brains?

post-16-0-26729400-1397377968.jpg

• Like 6

Bit like saying that all bull x's are bunny crunchers and won't retrieve, or all beddy x's are yappers. . . . . .

Darcys just answered it better than i ever could.

I think as i said on my second post its a quick fix,one that like the old collie comes and bites you on the ass when you least expect it.

A nd a dog without pace to match is quarry is always going to struggle,couple that with brains?

Edited by weasle

How did we get to the point where all smart dogs are now also slow dogs?

I'm confused.

I get what you are saying J.D.

'Brains' whatever they are, are not the most vital single component for a running dog.

But just like everything else, the best performer in any field, has a complementary set of skills or attributes that blend together to make some thing . . . .

. . . . . that just works!

It's like making a good cake, you need all the ingredients in there.

At the end of the day, I have to like my dogs, I spend a lot of time around them. So i'd rather what I would call a 'sharp' or 'smart' dog. It doesn't have to do suduko, it just needs to be smart enough, or maybe that's in tune with me enough? Or whatever.

If that's 'brains', 'cunning', 'game sense' or whatever . . . . I don't really care, as long as it's there.

Some folk REALLY seem to over complicate stuff? Not everything has to be right or wrong, either or.

• Like 7

Darcys just answered it better than i ever could.

I think as i said on my second post its a quick fix,one that like the old collie comes and bites you on the ass when you least expect it.

A nd a dog without pace to match is quarry is always going to struggle,couple that with brains?

i don't get the quick fix what's it meant to be fixing,i don't think brains is a replacement for

speed if they did they'd run collies (or bulls)& not lurchers. or is a collie x somehow slower

than a bull x

At the end of the day, I have to like my dogs, I spend a lot of time around them. So i'd rather what I would call a 'sharp' or 'smart' dog. It doesn't have to do suduko, it just needs to be smart enough, or maybe that's in tune with me enough? Or whatever.

Couldn't agree more :thumbs: Being in tune with the owner is more important than anything else: and this, in the end, is why no one breed, type or cross will suit everyone.

• Like 4

Somebody forgot to tell my half cross bitch that she is to slow to put game in the bag and will jack when it gets a bit tough ... I must have a word with her and put her straight ... Come to think of it my young bitch has also not clicked that she isn't supposed to catch big numbers ... 20 months old and has put more game in the bag than most dogs do in 5 years ..........

• Like 4

Well as I was thinking of heavily collie blood lurcher, it's going to be slower in general to a dog with more running dog simple really. A quick fix because it's said to be easier to train,born with prey sense ,simple really. Was reading a article from a greyhound vet the other day he reckons if the derby winner had its tail painted yellow next year half would have there tail painted yellow. A bit like here a few pictures of a collie x with some rabbits every one thinks it's a magic ingredient.

Somebody forgot to tell my half cross bitch that she is to slow to put game in the bag and will jack when it gets a bit tough ... I must have a word with her and put her straight ... Come to think of it my young bitch has also not clicked that she isn't supposed to catch big numbers ... 20 months old and has put more game in the bag than most dogs do in 5 years ..........

aye but wait till it's 22 months & it starts using it's brain :tongue2: