Working Away From Home

haha, i hear ya stig!!! i can imagine its a nightmare facing into that with the whole lot to paint.. :bad:

i did it then fooked off to my brothers in spain for 4 week got tanned and pissed ------ mrs wher`nt happy :laugh:

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

we used to finish one job then they`d want us to go straight onto another we used to come home switch our phones of for a few days then ring in one firm we worked for kept cutting and chopping our p

Oh I dunno, you've got to push them in the right order and somedays you've got to push two at a time quite often. We should get paid overtime for that, might have to speak with the union.   One of t

I would have to get paid ALOT of money before I would travel all over the country for work. f**k that

Posted Images

haha, i hear ya stig!!! i can imagine its a nightmare facing into that with the whole lot to paint.. :bad:

i did it then fooked off to my brothers in spain for 4 week got tanned and pissed ------ mrs wher`nt happy :laugh:

went out in style as the fella says!!! :D

went out in style as the fella says!!! :D

:laugh: after 35 year fooking about on shit like that i needed a blow out ...

• Like 1

Working away is shit and great in equal measures.

Roofing and cladding all over the country, ended up putting up Tescos, single ply flat roofs then the cold store panels,

Done a huge waitrose in Bracknell, got on the roof of this cold store and it seemed never ending, was on it on my birthday, pissing down with rain, pitch black with tower lights on the roof.. I wanted to do 1000m2 that day (33 rolls), we had 3 to go and it was about 6pm. All the boys were huddled under this tower light, " come on Kev lets f**k off and go have a beer, it's your birthday Ffs".... We laid the 3 rolls in a 20 min stop in the rain, then went and got pissed lol..

10 of us at one point crammed into a house I rented up there for the job, every room had blokes on the floors, sofa, beds etc... Nearly a year on that one then straight up to Penistone, Yorkshire on a tescos...

Stayed 11 weeks in Wales in a tiny, shitty caravan, 4 blokes in it, stinking thing..

I took my old springer to that one, but couldn't take it on site, would walk it in the morning then it would stay in the awning all day, I'd fly back for a quick run at dinner time... This one day, I got back to the caravan it was blowing a gale... The awning was nowhere to be seen and the side of the caravan looked like it had been machine gunned.. My old dog was sat there with a look of what the f**k just happened, lol..

Some of my best nights out, Craics and best mates are from working away, but I had enough in the end. Missed the kids as they were growing up too quick, went one Sunday and my lad was crawling, came back a week later and he waddled down the hall way, he'd been walking all week...

Still have jobs away all over the country but I sub them out now.. To the lads that trained through me lol, started off steel erecting and fabricating, and now back to running a fab shop, erectors plus the cladding and roofing.

Good luck mate with getting the local work, once you've had enough get out of the away contracting IMO

Edited by NEWKID
  • Like 1

Personally, I hate working away......rule one, I have to be in a very nice hotel to make it at least bearable, if the job don't run to paying for at least a 4* job then I ain't going ( that's if I am alone)

If I take the boys, then I don't really care as I couldn't take them in a nice hotel anyway !! Lol......still hate it, just want to crack on and get the f**k home to my kids.

Hats off to lads that work away, I rekon most people think its a 24/7 jolly up but it's a sacrifice that for sure

• Like 1

done it for 10 months roofing , we used to get money for digs+wages, so we slept rough in the van, and kept the digs money. When I finished the job was only for supposed to be for 7-8 months anway , I went back home to my parents house where I was living at the time. My old mom had a feckin shock when I walked through the door , I looked fookin tramp long hair+ beard lol she didn't know me for a min :laugh: saved all me money but wouldn't like to live like that any longer, maybe done it bit more civilised lol I might think different but still prefer to work more local if I could .??

Ive worked away for 20 years and worked all over the world ...it make s you appreciate your time at home ...but saying that ive had some fair craking times away staying in some shit holes and some of the best hotels in the world allexpences paid you take the good with the bad ..... met some great people and taken in some crakin sites i have also met plenty of clowns and found myself in some proper dodgy situations ...im in Brunei just now and in 4 hours I will be starting my journey home which will tak e around 24hours and you cant get a better feeling than the thought of going home and I cant put into words what its like seeing the weeman and missus when ive done a long hitch ....at the end of the day it pays the bills and it is waht you make it

• Like 3

Stayed in a Korean place on the old Newport -Cardiff road, I used to take my rods away a lot so is stay out of the pub.

The Korean owner and chef in this place was brilliant, the while family lived there grandma, grandad an uncle and all his kids wife etc, it was a funny old place.... I'd take him back fish I'd caught to cook up, mainly cod or whiting and I also was dragged out into his kitchen to show him how to skin dogfish lol...

One day he said " you catch me eel fiss".. Ok I thought and a week or do later took him a strap conger about 5lb or so... " no no no, this is not eel fiss".... " it bloody looks like an eel fiss to me".... " no little, river eel fiss"... It turned out his best sushi dish was made from fresh water eel ( his sushi was lovely).... The conger got put in a spucy broth which I thought was really nice, but Kimmy eel fiss, as we named him, was pissed off he never made his sushi lol...

Company I'm on for at the mo is from Northampton lol

So it's all away I'm afraid

Tunnels are the pits mate you must be as sick as me we built like a testing tunnel in illford a few years bark for training folk also on black friers bridge for two year 12 hr shifts 7 days then 5 let you leave on Fridays to go home at 4 never getting back till 9 or 10 at night and traveling back Sunday night no time at home to even think about hunting

haha, i know that tunnell, they train concrete sprayers out there, im living out beside it and pas it every day! shit hole!! you want the dollors you do the shit i suppose, im spraying concrete ground support with the past few years as there is way more demand for sprayers than sparkys and better bucks but your right its a shit job!! any lad working on sites at a labour end gets it tough, still it pays well so if ya stick it for a few years and cover the overheads you can afford to take less money closer to home. thats my plan anyway! not wanting to be an old man and still lugging a bag around on my back living out of a shit hole!! if your comfortable financially mate go for it, there is no hitch on a hearse to pull the haul after you!!! life is to short not to enjoy it.

Lol it's a nice pint in jonnos by the way Stella go's down nice l
  • Like 1

It's true some of the best times off my life has happened away and the lads you meet are sound ,

I take my rods fresh and sea also my gun some times if we out the towns and city's once stayed in a pub in lee the owner took me ratting with him got back fuxk had broken into my van and all the tools were gone gutted

I've worked on my doorstep most of my working life now.

But change in job has seen me driving all over the place for work off late.

Now I'm 6 weeks in Aberdeen, home at the weekends though....nice wee hotel and a great laugh wi the other 3 lads that are up here. It's totally different for me but im enjoying it.

What a f***ing weight I'm putting on though....ffs!!!

I worked away for almost 10 years but got sick of being away Mon-Fri and never having enough time to see my family so now I work offshore on a 2/3 rotation. It's a pain being away for 14 nights instead of 4 at a time but having 3 weeks at hone with my little girl makes up for it, and the money is better than when I was on the gas onshore so that helps lol

GaZ