Working Away From Home

Its a lot easier these days technology has made the world a small place ....I can skype my wife from the middle of the jungle in Congo ...I currently sitting in the singapore airlines business lounge in Changi airport with the hooves up draming on an 18 year old glenfiddich ....so its not all bad

• Like 2

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

we used to finish one job then they`d want us to go straight onto another we used to come home switch our phones of for a few days then ring in one firm we worked for kept cutting and chopping our p

Oh I dunno, you've got to push them in the right order and somedays you've got to push two at a time quite often. We should get paid overtime for that, might have to speak with the union.   One of t

I would have to get paid ALOT of money before I would travel all over the country for work. f**k that

Posted Images

my brother in laws out of town just now 12 days away sleeping on site in a caravan 10 hours days 2k for 12 days home on a saturday morning away again sunday afternoon every 2 week loosening greasing and re tightening bolts on sub stations ...... its driving him nuts :whistling: no pun intended

I worked away for 10yrs. The money was great but working 7 days a week 12hrs a day then heading out for pints when the shift finishes takes its toll, don't get me wrong, we had some craic, worked hard and played harder. I think its a young,single mans game working away from home, well the way i done it is lol. If you can find a job nearer home to be with your family, then go for it, it wont be long before your children have grown up and flown the nest, then you will be wondering where the years went. Atb what ever you decide, life's far to short to have regrets.

Used to work all around Europe till I was about 25. All the other lads were divorced etc, loved my little family so knocked it on the head. Was good times, nice to see nice places on expenses etc, but nicer to say goodnight and good morning to your missus than another hairy arsed chippy.

I'm at the other end of the scale on this. I work from home most days and even travelling to the office (about 18miles) seems a bind when I can do my job remotely. I can work from a cyber cafe or anywhere there is an internet connection. We get sent all over for training etc which is good for a laugh and as it's all expenses paid the corporate credit card gets smashed to heck.

A few more certs means a heck of lot more coin and I'm only working for another 15yrs before living the dream. Hope to retire before I'm 50.

I'm at the other end of the scale on this. I work from home most days and even travelling to the office (about 18miles) seems a bind when I can do my job remotely. I can work from a cyber cafe or anywhere there is an internet connection. We get sent all over for training etc which is good for a laugh and as it's all expenses paid the corporate credit card gets smashed to heck.

A few more certs means a heck of lot more coin and I'm only working for another 15yrs before living the dream. Hope to retire before I'm 50.

i retired at 50 it gets boring as fook all my mates are still working the mrs carried on working ---- i started back part time..

• Like 1

i retired at 50 it gets boring as fook all my mates are still working the mrs carried on working ---- i started back part time..

Part time?... Joking aren't ya lol

That's not really work is it tbo most of the lads who have joined in on this are proper grafters, steel erectors, the sheeting lads sparkys bricklayers we all hands on true grafters blood sweat and tears, it's not that hard pushing keys on a laptop is it lol.

Take today started a new site in Dunstable 1 hr drive from where we are staying billing aquadrome , the site is pure shit all the holding down bolts are in the wrong place so it's started on a downer so I standing listening to the site agent and his stuck up team of we know it all and they all agreed that they need to go and check it all on the laptops to find out what's wrong so off they went , so I had a look at the drawings and set away standing the steel up 40 lifts with the Crain later they come out and tell me the don't under stand what's wrong I'm not the smartest man thick as shit tbo but a lot and I mean loads of people just don't have a clue and take away the laptop and they fall to bits and just don't get what's going on at all makes you wonder how the world gets by

• Like 1

That's not really work is it tbo most of the lads who have joined in on this are proper grafters, steel erectors, the sheeting lads sparkys bricklayers we all hands on true grafters blood sweat and tears, it's not that hard pushing keys on a laptop is it lol.

Take today started a new site in Dunstable 1 hr drive from where we are staying billing aquadrome , the site is pure shit all the holding down bolts are in the wrong place so it's started on a downer so I standing listening to the site agent and his stuck up team of we know it all and they all agreed that they need to go and check it all on the laptops to find out what's wrong so off they went , so I had a look at the drawings and set away standing the steel up 40 lifts with the Crain later they come out and tell me the don't under stand what's wrong I'm not the smartest man thick as shit tbo but a lot and I mean loads of people just don't have a clue and take away the laptop and they fall to bits and just don't get what's going on at all makes you wonder how the world gets by

thats true pal,im like you sick of construction work,backs f...d,i hate building sites full of dinlos,teahuts,caravans,f..k em,im planning on getting out of it soon as.

iv packed in work for good now through arthritis i was working in croxteth on my daughters school only 2 miles away doing cladding on the new part of the school,i as struggling every day and was dreading getting up each morning so decided to hand my notice in last friday.the building game is a hard job to hack and takes its toll on you im just sorry i never got out sooner

• Like 1

I'm going to start looking on my door step soon I've got two house one rented out which is my retirement fund it's getting to much for me time to chill out and enjoy life

yup go for it,i am too.sold everything i own.built meself a house.

full on now mate i sign on the dotted line saturday morning for 6 months :laugh:

• Like 1

That's not really work is it tbo most of the lads who have joined in on this are proper grafters, steel erectors, the sheeting lads sparkys bricklayers we all hands on true grafters blood sweat and tears, it's not that hard pushing keys on a laptop is it

Oh I dunno, you've got to push them in the right order and somedays you've got to push two at a time quite often. We should get paid overtime for that, might have to speak with the union.

One of the reasons I hate going into the office is most of the time some git has been fiddling with the air con so you've got to wait 5mins for the office to get to a reasonable working environment temperature. Some days when you first get in it can be 24c and you're sweating your crack off just saying "hello" to folk. Then you've got to stand around waiting for the temp to drop to 22c. I usually with go to the in-house Costa for a brew or a few of us head up for a game or two of pool. I tell you, people shouldn't mess with things they don't understand as it causes mayhem.

Once, somebody had been hot desking in my chair. It's a bit like having universal toolboxes but nobody puts stuff back or puts it back the wrong way round because they're left handed and you're right handed, nightmare!! Anyway, whilst they'd been messing up my desk and moving cables about they'd also been altering my ergonomic DSE (display screen equipment) assessed chair. Well I was furious. It could have put my back right out or given my DVT over a long period. Had to in Health & Safety didn't I. After a 30min consultation and readjustment they had it all sorted again. It was an accident waiting to happen. Then, we find out the b*****d must have been shorter than me as my natural seating position didn't put my eyes inline with the top of the monitor. Talk about where there's a blame. Almost had to go to the in-house bar for an early beer.

I must admit though, the absolute worst bit about the type of environment I work in is the blatant flaunting that goes on.

I don't know why the young professional women feel the need to wear skintight jeans and vest tops in the office all year round just because the office is a constant mild temperature and then feel the need to ask you if you "want to grab a coffee/go to lunch" or "to the bar" when theres clearly email after email coming in, some of them have red exclamation marks next to them to mark them as a priority as well. Come on!! Some of us want to finish early for the weekend mid Thursday afternoon!! Do you know what I mean?

It gets a bit rowdy in the office though making it hard to remember which key to press next. This is especially true when there is a major event happening like the World Cup, the ashes, Olympics, Wimbledon, horse racing or any other sporting event on a week day as everyone comes into our little space due to us having out own testing environment of sky boxes, three 50" plasmas, 24" mac and loads of wifi connections. Some times you're elbow to elbow with the sport loving boys and girls with pizzas being shoved in front of you and beer getting spilt on your new mouse mat. If there's no sport on though we have to make do with sky movies or Wii fit contests. You think you've got it bad, you don't even know you're born!!

• Like 4