Best Semi-Auto .22?

I'm planning on getting another rifle for use with night vision (trying a Pitch Black unit) for rabbits.

I would favour a semi, mainly so my field of vision does not move when I cycle the bolt.

Any thoughts on the best to buy at the moment? I've had a Rugger 10/22 in the past but not very accurate, mind you it was pretty old.

Choices could be:

newer Rugger 10/22, maybe with some add-ons.

Remington 597

Webly & Scott A-22

Anshutz (heard they are nowhere as good as the bolt actions).

Anyone using any your thoughts would be appreciated.

Anschutz 525, getting hard to find in good order, but the one I had (from new) in the 1980's was very good.

The magazines are obscenely expensive, but work without issue.

Like all semi's dirty 22lr clogs up the 'works' and this needs to be taken care of.

Went to my RFD yesterday and handled a few (including a Heckler& Koch).

I've just about settled on a new Ruger 10/22 stainless with synthetic stock. The new model seems much improved over my previous ancient one. It's to be used solely for night shooting and the flush fitting 10 shot magazine is a big plus - also the price is excellent ! The trigger was not at all bad. I'll try the factory barrel for accuracy and see what transpires, can always upgrade .

All semis come with inherent issues over bolt action, just the same, commonly much to much is made of it if you are in the bunny bashing business!

As CC #4.

10/22 are overrated but have a position, lord knows why they are the market leader, they are not the best out of the box that's for sure! From experience I would take the CZ or Anschutz any day over a 10/22, but I get by just fine with my cheap and cheerful Magtech 7022.

post-10759-0-72169300-1396702866_thumb.jpg :thumbs:

CZ 511 if you find a good used one, very well made, easy to strip, just as accurate as a bolt action, or the new 512 CZ, Rugers are good too and you can get tons of trick bits for them, but the CZ wins in my book.

I've been looking at a CZ511 for sale and could be tempted. What's so good about them?

The statement that they are as accurate as a bolt action sounds quite impressive for a semi :icon_eek:

One thing that put me off some of the models was the extended magazine sticking out of the bottom, looked just right to catch on a belt ot jacket pocket in the dark.

:hmm: :hmm: :hmm:

Plenty of BA have 10 shot mags that stick out a bit, if you don't want a 25/50 shot banana on a semi don't use one!? :thumbs:

One thing that put me off some of the models was the extended magazine sticking out of the bottom, looked just right to catch on a belt ot jacket pocket in the dark.

:hmm: :hmm: :hmm:

Plenty of BA have 10 shot mags that stick out a bit, if you don't want a 25/50 shot banana on a semi don't use one!? :thumbs:

Aye. The 10/22 has the option of a 30 shot extended mag, or a 10 shot rotary that fits completely inside the rifle housing. You can pick and choose.

Remember. You can customise nearly all rifles to suit your preferences.