To gain muscle mass/strength you need to do 3 things, train,eat and rest.Think of it as a triangle with all three being equally important.You`re eating well,doing the wrong training for size/strength gain and you are not giving your body any rest.Good luck.

• Like 2

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sleep more and sit about watching the telly that's how the my missus done it .

One of the biggest mistakes ive seen people make over the years is playing the numbers game.....................whether its weight or amount the single biggest reason people stop going to gyms is de -

People often say they train like they did years ago but the results are not the same........thats just life our bodies react differently the older we get,the key is the same as anything else.....the b

People often say they train like they did years ago but the results are not the same........thats just life our bodies react differently the older we get,the key is the same as anything else.....the basic theory still applies we just need to make subtle changes in our approach its like a bodybuilder when he reaches a plateau you cant just stand still and ride it out you have to make small changes that push the muscles into further growth........hence knowledge is a big part in bodybuilding.

Hard gaining for an old hand is completely different for hard ganining as a newcomer/youngster......controlling your metabolism is the most important thing theres no point stuffing your face with protein you,ll just end up with expensive piss !.............5 - 10kg over the next 2/3 months is completely unrealistic...if its just a numbers game and you want 20 lb in 3 months just get a load of Kebabs and Mcdonalds down you......but training natural the maximum amount of lean muscle you can expect to put on in 1 year is around 7 lb......lean muscle that is......regardless of age,build or how active you are the more muscle you have the more calories you burn,its live tissue and its there working for you burning calories 24 hours a day.....the main factors controlling your metabolism are your meal frequencies,the food itself,activity levels,hydration,stress etc.....................people are always quick to point the finger at slow thyroid before first stabilising blood sugars and putting together a simple basic exercise plan..............your diet doesnt sound too bad though theres no reason in this day and age to be eating large quantities of red meat,training sounds a touch on the hectic side for weight gain.......but if you stick to the basics of low rep heavy lifts,a clean diet,plenty of rest......and most importantly getting control of your metabolism theres no reason you shouldnt gain at a steady pace.

Edited by gnasher16
  • Like 5

People often say they train like they did years ago but the results are not the same........thats just life our bodies react differently the older we get,the key is the same as anything else.....the basic theory still applies we just need to make subtle changes in our approach its like a bodybuilder when he reaches a plateau you cant just stand still and ride it out you have to make small changes that push the muscles into further growth........hence knowledge is a big part in bodybuilding.

Hard gaining for an old hand is completely different for hard ganining as a newcomer/youngster......controlling your metabolism is the most important thing theres no point stuffing your face with protein you,ll just end up with expensive piss !.............5 - 10kg over the next 2/3 months is completely unrealistic...if its just a numbers game and you want 20 lb in 3 months just get a load of Kebabs and Mcdonalds down you......but training natural the maximum amount of lean muscle you can expect to put on in 1 year is around 7 lb......lean muscle that is......regardless of age,build or how active you are the more muscle you have the more calories you burn,its live tissue and its there working for you burning calories 24 hours a day.....the main factors controlling your metabolism are your meal frequencies,the food itself,activity levels,hydration,stress etc.....................people are always quick to point the finger at slow thyroid before first stabilising blood sugars and putting together a simple basic exercise plan..............your diet doesnt sound too bad though theres no reason in this day and age to be eating large quantities of red meat,training sounds a touch on the hectic side for weight gain.......but if you stick to the basics of low rep heavy lifts,a clean diet,plenty of rest......and most importantly getting control of your metabolism theres no reason you shouldnt gain at a steady pace.

good read that :thumbs:

7-8 small meals a day. Meat with nearly every meal. you want to put on clean mass not eating any old shite or u just bloat. Get protein into you every 2 or 2 1/2 hours. Low fat cottage cheese with pinapple is one of the best source of protein goin. Try eat a tub in between every meal and before bed with a protein shake. Atb

Something like This should do the trick

Breakfast: porridge banana 2scoops whey protein

Inbetween meal: tub low fat cottage cheese with pinapple 200/300g chicken/turkey

Dinner. Sirloin steak sweet potato broccoli. Yoghurt

Pre workout: pice of brown bread with peanut butter. Scoop of whey protein

Post workout: plain bagel n 2 scoops whey protein.

Tea: 2/3 chicken breasts jacket potato broccoli

Inbetween meal: Tuna/sardines/mackerel

Before bed: 2 scoops whey protein tub low fat cottage cheese.

No sauce on any food. Add spices to food for more flavour. Chili turmeric parcly.

No pop no energy drinks.

Loads of water through out the day.

I followed this regime on put on some good clean size. Atb mate

• Like 1

Your body can only deal with around 30g of protein at a time so eating any more than this in a 2.5hr time frame is pointless. Couple this with the fact your body burns more calories dealing with protein and you can already see the relationship between your body and protein.

The shakes are there as a meal replacement if anything else so instead of having six meals a day I'll have two shakes instead as well as the one directly after a training session.

You say you want to add 5-10Kg but what is this made up of? Fat and lean muscle or just lean muscle? As Gnasher has said, it takes a very long time to put that kind of lean muscle weight on. As an approximate amount, after every weight session you can expect to increase your lean muscle mass by about a thimble full. It isn't much at all. Over the course of a year you're looking at 2-2.5kg.

Circuit training (which it sounds like what you are doing) is like turning on the after-burners when it comes to calories. HIIT (high intensity interval training) is what folk use when they are cutting, not bulking. Not only are you burning a large quantity of calories doing the exercises but your body is also consuming almost the same, if not more, afterwards trying to deal with what you've just put it through to repair, replenish and feed new muscle.

Not only would I suggest you change your programme to a more lifting orientated programme as others have already suggested but I would also cut down on the amount of training days per week and allow your body to recover better. You can't work a muscle group hard and then expect to work it hard again two to three days later, you just won't get any benefit and it will be detrimental to any form of muscle growth. Try and plan your workouts so that you aren't focussing on the same muscle groups two days in a row be it as a primary or a secondary. The common one to do is:

1st day: legs

2nd day: chest and triceps

3rd day: rest

4th day: back and biceps

5th day: rest

6th day: shoulders and abs

7th day rest.

On your rest days you can do light cardio to keep any fat levels under control but I'd only do a max of 30mins running/rowing/high intensity. Walking the mutts is fine for an hour or so etc.

As far as lifting movements go you can avoid injury easily enough if there isn't anyone there to spot and guide you.

Stretching is paramount. Depending on what body area your are targeting depends on the stretches you do but there is nothing wrong with stretching your whole upper body if you are targeting your upper body areas, even if it is just for biceps.

You can swap squats for the leg press machine. Squats place a lot of compound pressure on your spine which is never a good thing. Sure they make you look like the daddy of the weight room but really they are high risk to your back. With the leg press the pressure is put through your legs and pelvis which is able to deal with higher levels of pressure than your spine and nothing more than normal compound pressure goes through your spine.

Build up to dead lift weights. Start by doing back extensions to strengthen your lower back using just your body weight and you don't have to over extend or even come to the upright position. No point going for a reasonable deadlift weight, not having the stability muscle strength there or the technique and then rupturing your lower back - you really will pile on the pounds then as you won't be able to do anything.

Don't go passed the right-angle with your elbows on ANY exercise!! When you bench-press just keep and eye on your elbows to ensure you know the position where they come level with your body. Do not let them go below your body before you start the press or you risk damaging not only your chest muscles but also your shoulders and ligaments (rotator cuff - not nice). Once the stability muscles are up to speed and strength you can slowly go passed the right-angle bit by bit but don't go nuts. Basic common sense and building up to levels is what it is all about when it comes to avoiding injury.

Dumbbells vs barbells. It's a personal things I guess but I go with the method that you always have one side stronger than the other just because of how much we lean, rest and compensate for balance during the day without even noticing. With this in mind using a barbells means that your stronger side is assisting your weaker side to maintain a straight bar and keep the weight moving. I like to use dumbbells as much as I can as they feed back more of what is going on and also they require more little movements from the stability muscles to keep them moving in a straight line.

Might be worth getting on a body building forum for information around what you are trying to achieve but you have to be clear on what you want to achieve as far as what the extra weight consists of.

I think you now have to be carfull with these super high protein diets,,,,there's a lot of info out there about the dangers to liver kidneys ect,,,,whilst we all did the high protein thing to gain mass in the past,,,there's now more info out there,,,and some experts are now saying, rather than a gram or even 2 gram of protein per kilo body weight ,,,some experts are now saying this was far two much,,,and bad for your body,,,

• Like 1

Cheers guys for the replies. Kudos to Gnash, Hutch and Saluki Bulls :thumbs:

I'm gonna look into changing what I am doing, tbh my body is screaming for calories I am constantly hungry so I think as Gnash said my body just isn't reacting the same as it did during my intense Thai boxing days.

My protein does not just come from one source I eat beans (Fuuck off Pip and Stan :laugh: ) plus red meat, white meat, fish etc I eat a lot of fruit and nuts, salad, wholemeal bread.

One meal for example would be a soup made with bone stock, 1/2 kilo of ribs, lots of vegetables, rice or noodles followed by fruit and the next would be fish so I am trying to alternate the protein types.

Think cutting back on the intense circuit and incorporating more rest and free weights is the way.

When I was younger (22) and training hard I managed to put a lot of weight on over the course of 2-3 years (just shy of 10kilos) this was well distributed and by the end a high proportion was lean muscle with a nice cover of fat which is what I am trying to achieve again.

Edited by mushroom
On 31/03/2014 at 12:27, baw said:

On 31/03/2014 at 09:47, grant_c said:

Gregge fudge donuts, square sausage peaces, takeaways, worked like f**k way me lol

Your a shooter right? :laugh:

I............

Edited by grant_c

It's the eating part I struggle with, fitting in all the meals is inconveinient these days. During my Uni years I could eat and gain satisfactorily, now with work etc I'm doing well just to have a clean and balanced diet. I like training, keeping strong and being able to do little impressive things like muscle ups and one handed push ups etc and unless I'm willing to suddenly sort my diet out no point in expecting more than that.

I was lifting 6ft long logs at the weekend for fun with all the older boys reckoning I'd f**k my back up, but that's the point in keeping fit and strong, it prevents injury and allows you to do shit like that. No athlete or Mr Universe level stuff but keeping strong and robust ain't a bad thing for the body or mind.

• Like 1

Threads kind of gave me a little kick up the arse again.........I'v gotta drop a little (well) over the last 6/9 months banged on 3st without evening trying really just ate and drank like a king...... Had a real slow season dog wise anit dropped anything that way as normal, plus off the fags for over a year.... I'll be happy getting to 18st again for September and dropping to 17st again throughout next season.......

(Bit harder than normal this year off 3 months with flexor tendons issues on left index finger)

Some good quick fast busting cardio things are:

3-2-1 3km on the bike, 2km on the rower (fake boat, not the wife) and 1km on the treadmill and aim for 20mins including changeovers.

Instead of doing 15min tread mill which is boring as feck!!

Get on a bike and out it at level 10 for starters.

Do 3mins at 60-70rpm

20secs at 110rpm

20secs at 70-75rpm

20@110rpm

20@70-75

20@110rpm

20@70-75rpm

1min @ 60-70rpm

20@110

20@70-75

20@110

20@70-75

20@110

20@70-75

1min@60-70

20@110

20@70-75

20@110

20@70-75

20@110

20@70-75

20@110

20@70-75

20@110

2mins cool down at 60rpm from level 10, lv8,lv6 and lv4.

It's only 15mins but it'll be rolling off you and your legs will be jelly.

Keeps you heart rate elevated for ages meaning you are burning more and more throughout your workout and after.

To increase the intensity just up the level to 12 but keep the intervals the same. I'm on level 16 and it's a proper bitch of a warm-up but smashed the fat to hell.