Longnet Help

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Stop Your 30ft ,, You will end up with a parcel of shite !! ,, Trust me .. There's an old saying " the finer the mesh , the better killing net"   Regards ..

I ain't sharing drops with nobody lol not even my lamping or ferreting partners lol. Fook even the kids will have some job finding them when old enough lol     Practice,practice and then practice s

I am constantly looking for new drops when the wife is driving I am like a bloody owl in the passenger seat head spinning around looking over hedges, Trying to first find rabbits then suss the terrain

Cheers for the info but I'm 30 ft into my net now so I'll keep on with the hemp for this 1 but I've got some spun poly from agouty it says its for purse nets would that be any good for long nets cheers aidy

I have made long nets with hemp and it works well,a word of caution though they are heavy when wet, and a pain in the rear to dry out,and I can tell you if you don't dry the bugger it, will rot holes in itself other than that it will take rabbits well and in the dark I think they are better as regards not tangling,as much as the nylon ones or easier to manage might be a better way of putting it,good luck

This place has true hemp in 3ply ,, which makes a real nice net ..

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hemp-twine-for-net-making-3ply-top-quality-half-kg-/351063003541?pt=UK_SportingGoods_Hunting_ShootingSports_ET&hash=item51bcfc5195

I would also be aware of the mesh size that you are knitting as hemp has no stretch ..

there was a clip with Mr.Merrin & Simon Whitehead showing a bad killing hemp (flax) net on hear , maybe one of the Lads can find it and put it up for a look? .. the net was made purely for the video and the

net was made with 5ply with a 4 1/4" full mesh ..

Good on You for taking the time and effort to knit Yourself a net :thumbs:..

Regards ..

cheers for all the replies wish I had found out earlier what experienced net makers thought about hemp but am well into it now any sugestions what I could do with 30/40 ft of hemp net (apart from bin it lol ) iv got some spun poly from agouti day glow green it says its for purse nets would that be any good for long nets or could you recommend any thing once again thanks to every one who has gave me advice about my net making adventure which iam realy enjoying

cheers aidy

cheers for all the replies wish I had found out earlier what experienced net makers thought about hemp but am well into it now any sugestions what I could do with 30/40 ft of hemp net (apart from bin it lol ) iv got some spun poly from agouti day glow green it says its for purse nets would that be any good for long nets or could you recommend any thing once again thanks to every one who has gave me advice about my net making adventure which iam realy enjoying

cheers aidy

Dont bin it use it as a stop net through hedges

Y.I.S Leeview

• Like 2

I would not use it, be far to thick I think. I would not go past the Engels twine now I have used it. Only problem is you have to send to Germany for it and it comes in small spools. I think if someone in the uk distributed it in bigger spools or bulk price plenty would use it. I think it is very good stuff. Sounds silly but the brown is nicer to knit with than the green, Netrigger told me he thinks the dying process changes it, think that is what he said. Have I got this right Bill.

• Like 2

Agouti does nice longnet twine. I have used his purse net twine for the selvedge

it does not compare to Engels.. for me if you have the money and can wait for delivery Engels is the choice to make every time

• Like 2

Agouti does nice longnet twine. I have used his purse net twine for the selvedge

it does not compare to Engels.. for me if you have the money and can wait for delivery Engels is the choice to make every time

Smithie your right, the twine from engles is quality stuff. well worth the wait and extra ££

I would not use it, be far to thick I think. I would not go past the Engels twine now I have used it. Only problem is you have to send to Germany for it and it comes in small spools. I think if someone in the uk distributed it in bigger spools or bulk price plenty would use it. I think it is very good stuff. Sounds silly but the brown is nicer to knit with than the green, Netrigger told me he thinks the dying process changes it, think that is what he said. Have I got this right Bill.

I'm working on it Joe :thumbs:

Did you just make a single twine selvedge with that stuff mate

yes, single selvedge for the purse net twine and double for the longnet twine