Old Plummer Terriers

I'd say 95% of plummer owners are in it for the money and 5% for the working aspect. No wonder the breed is just about ruined. As someone stated earlier. Because a lad bought one for £250 they are assuming the pup was faulty in some way. And that...just about sums the breeders mentality up.

Bang on.... :yes:

:victory:

From the way some are talking...I need to pay about £400 for one just to make sure its healthy and of the right lineage. Seems the more you pay..the better it looks but the less chance you'll have of it working. Mental or what :blink:

• Like 1

• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

i have no old pics of plummers or the crosses wm. none worth posting anyways. i was allways a russell man. through and through. i often wonder why i got into plummers. liked the look of them i suppos

Same child still around dogs,how time flies

Flint

Posted Images

Price tagg ruins everything when working dogs ar involved......I no a lad who keeps plumers and the 5 he's got 4 are very good earth dogs and 1 what is medioca and he offerd me one of his pups for 250 with papers .....he's not a mate just someon I no ...one of his bitches is as hard as old nails and will probly lose her life doing what she loves..............10 f down in a deep hole with Charlie 5 inch in front of her..

Plummers, Borders and a splash of, so called, working Bedlington's, are bred by, in the main, helmets who breed for the coin not the graft.... Sad but true.... :yes:

There will always be people that want as much money as they can get for pups and then there are lads that charge a fair price for a fair pup, that's just human nature, take my last litter I bred that were born 22 nd October last year, my best bitch "ROSIE" a good fox dog and an excellent all round worker out of use till after Xmas because of my mate wanting a pup, am I supposed to give them all away ??? the simple answer is NO !! I gave my mates lad pick of the litter for free, now the stud fee was 50 quid, I spent 40 quid on docking and dew claws by vet, 4 pups fed on best mince, lactol @ 16 quid a tin, wormers and the pups to look after all day for 8 weeks, then vet fees if anything goes wrong, now I kept a nice small bitch so that left me 2 to sell, I charged 250 each for the other 2 to lads that know my stuff and wanted a first cross off 2 digging dogs, then I was asked to keep them till Xmas eve as they were going to be presents for all the family, that meant 2 more weeks of looking after them for no extra money, I'm proud of the stock I produce and travel any distance for a stud or a pup, now does that make me a money grabber, am I supposed to give them away to lads I do not know or never heard of before after being without my best bitch for more than half a season ?? There are only mates that I've known for years or mates of my mates that get terriers cheap from me however there are 1 or 2 lads on here that I would gift a pup to anytime, the likes of "Fireman", who when I needed a bitch a few years ago offered to lend me his bitch to breed a litter from, a true gent and a genuine offer, the other lads are from the "Severn valley ratters" and apart from my close friends everyone pays 250 quid, now if that makes me a money making pedlar then so be it and to be honest I don't give a sh*t, WM

• Like 4

WC is all your stuff cross bred or do you have Pure stuff aswell?

I have a bitch from the early "new blood" stuff bred by Lacey that I've bred lots of pure bred stuff off, they are now on 3 generations of Plummer/Plummer 100% I also have some outcrosses that will be bred back to create a clean new line free of any faults, something Plummer did on a regular basis and forming a new gene pool, I would challenge anyone to tell which is which LOL's, is there really any pure breds anyway, they are all just a blend of terriers when do they become Plummers ?? is it when they get KC membership or when their coat pattern looks like one, WM

• Like 2

Plummers, Borders and a splash of, so called, working Bedlington's, are bred by, in the main, helmets who breed for the coin not the graft.... Sad but true.... :yes:

There will always be people that want as much money as they can get for pups and then there are lads that charge a fair price for a fair pup, that's just human nature, take my last litter I bred that were born 22 nd October last year, my best bitch "ROSIE" a good fox dog and an excellent all round worker out of use till after Xmas because of my mate wanting a pup, am I supposed to give them all away ??? the simple answer is NO !! I gave my mates lad pick of the litter for free, now the stud fee was 50 quid, I spent 40 quid on docking and dew claws by vet, 4 pups fed on best mince, lactol @ 16 quid a tin, wormers and the pups to look after all day for 8 weeks, then vet fees if anything goes wrong, now I kept a nice small bitch so that left me 2 to sell, I charged 250 each for the other 2 to lads that know my stuff and wanted a first cross off 2 digging dogs, then I was asked to keep them till Xmas eve as they were going to be presents for all the family, that meant 2 more weeks of looking after them for no extra money, I'm proud of the stock I produce and travel any distance for a stud or a pup, now does that make me a money grabber, am I supposed to give them away to lads I do not know or never heard of before after being without my best bitch for more than half a season ?? There are only mates that I've known for years or mates of my mates that get terriers cheap from me however there are 1 or 2 lads on here that I would gift a pup to anytime, the likes of "Fireman", who when I needed a bitch a few years ago offered to lend me his bitch to breed a litter from, a true gent and a genuine offer, the other lads are from the "Severn valley ratters" and apart from my close friends everyone pays 250 quid, now if that makes me a money making pedlar then so be it and to be honest I don't give a sh*t, WM

£250 for a pup off well proven DIGGING dogs is fair imo to lads who you know f**k all about, but ive never paid for a terrier and havent and never will sell one! If im breeding a litter ill have mates who will take pups on and whatever i want i will keep back! I wouldn't be breeding if it was only one lad after a pup. I have mates who i dig and produce stock with that also sell surplus pups for £250 odd quid with no agrument from the buyers, but i dont agree with it and anything left over would be culled! I have only bred one litter in over 10 years (not long in this game i know) but ive never needed to till last year, as i have lads with more kennel space and time to be breeding than my self anyway who all keep the same line as myself as tight as we possibly can!

• Like 1

Why feel the need to be reimbursed cos your bitch had half a season off tho?? Did you have to hire another dog to do her job?? That don't make sense. I agree with most of what you write on here wcm, about most topics. But charging 250 is steep in my eyes. You say its only to folks you don't know. Wel id rather not sell pups to strangers, no matter if they were willing to pay double what my mates paid. I'd happily gift pups out to mates, or mates of good mates, or even it's folk I knew would do them justice. But as soon as I started thinking about getting stud fees, puppy food ect back, then I'd just not breed in first place. If I breed it will be to get a pup or a few for me, and I won't mind paying for them, after all you'd pay to buy one in...

Edited by Hot Meat
  • Like 4

how can they have papers plummer added beagle and staff :hmm:

Exactly, and patt, he also outcrossed regular to odd dogs, people forget that the paperwork only means something to their own clubs, it will not make a terrier a better worker nor will it mean anything to the average lad wanting a terrier, its only relevance is it has a 5 generation known lineage pedigree but then how many of them get fiddled by cheats anyway, the paperwork can be created by anybody wishing to form a club and pretend committee, you only have to look at how the 3 existing clubs came about, until recognised by the KC all paperwork means "TOSH", WM

• Like 1

Hotmeat, its not a case of reimbursement but the cost of quality, I get lots of pm's off lads on here after pups and to be honest I could charge double that if it was just for money, I would never cull any healthy pup just to keep my lines tight within myself and friends, plummers that work are a rarity these days and I am looking to breed towards steady healthy terriers of the right size and temperament, my surplus along this journey will always be sold into working homes and anything that raises the quality of whats out there already is a step in the right direction, I have bred terriers of all types since 1976 and have always bred for work, getting that first call or photo off a lad that's just had his first fox is a buzz for me in itself, I realise charging for a pup is no guarantee of some one looking after it and I try to match a pup with the people that want one as you get different sorts in every litter, quiet ones, strong bossy types, independent sorts, etc, and even some I don't consider the type for work, they will go as pets, I will never sell to anyone that leaves them sat in a run from one week to the next and have taken pups back off people a few times in all those years due to this, Plummers require stimulation and plenty of exercise and always do well in a family environment, WM

• Like 2

We only paid £250 for ours if ya want stabba i can ask who bred ours he might know someone pal

Gafer, who bred yours and what lines are in its breeding as quality is everything with these terriers, loads of sh*te out there being bred from unhealthy stock, I've been running a book on health problems and believe me there are a lot in some lines, because a dog looks the right colour or pattern doesn't mean its healthy and pups always look cuddly, buyer beware is my advice, if you want registered stock I would advise "Keeps" or "Lacey 1 on here both breed a quality pup and they take the time to find the right blend and both lines are worked, my own stock are of known parentage but are not registered with any club, good luck with your quest, WM
a family friend bred him he has had them for years only used for ratting and flushhing not been used as a earth dog there is no health problems at all mate Alan dunworth owned the sire i think he was called tod if memory serves me right he is on the Yorkshire ratters dvd